“Believe Everything You've Read Here”
Review of Spencer On Main

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Suffield
Spencer On Main
Ranked #1 of 3 Suffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Over the last forty years, I have stayed in hotels and inns in something pretty darn close to a hundred countries. And I think all those hotel nights, some of them in pretty strange places, entitle me to tell you at least one thing with some real authority: all the reviews you have read below are absolutely true. You will never have a better all around accommodation experience anywhere in the world than you will at Spencer on Main in Suffield, Connecticut. It really is just that simple.

The innkeepers are the principal reason. They are gracious, tasteful, elegant, charming, warm people whose personal qualities are deeply infused into their beautiful inn.

If you are traveling to central Connecticut and are lucky enough to get into one of their three rooms, don't even think of staying anywere else. If you are not traveling to central Connecticut and are planning on going to, say, Paris instead, change your plans. It will be well worth it just for the privilege of staying at Spencer on Main.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank SukhumvitRoad

Reviewed 4 September 2007

This Inn is wonderful. I stayed here last Nov. with my daughter and some friends and we loved it. It was so clean and the breakfast was amazing. I really enjoyed the Innkeepers. They were very friendly and helpful. I have only wonderful things to say about this Inn. I just booked my return visit again in Nov. and I am looking forward to my stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank shannonmaine
Reviewed 3 September 2007

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at Spencer On Main. We went there to relax and to go to a James Taylor concert in Tanglewood (Lenox, MA). It was wonderful to be away from the huge Tanglewood/Lenox crowds, and yet it took us about an hour to get to the concert. The inn is delightful --- previous reviewers have done a great job describing the fantastic building and its owners. Caroline and Etienne are truly exceptional: fun, intelligent, considerate -- just great people! We plan to go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catavia
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Everybody's given this Inn 5 Stars - "Excellent" - and I hate to be repetitive but they're right, it really is excellent.

In spite of the rather imposing grandeur of the place, the overall feel is not at all stuffy. The things that should be up to date are - the bathrooms are quite beautiful but at the same time modern, the beds are not just comfortable, they're bordering on sinful, the air-conditioning works (central), everything is dry and clean and comfortable.

But that's it for the modern - the furnishings, the art, the books, the wallpaper - you don't see wallpaper like this any more - they're all gorgeously done, with taste and care, from a different age.

And also in that not-at-all-stuffy vein is the family who owns the Inn. They are, as is always the case with a really good Inn, part of the pleasure of being there, and you can feel it when you talk to these warm intelligent people - interesting to talk to, knowledgeable about travel in general and their area in particular, and warm and friendly. And they're good cooks too.

(My 'room' was actually a large, comfortable suite on the 2nd floor, huge sitting room, unusually large bathroom, big, comfortable canopy four-poster bed. - see my photos.)

What a nice place, definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank InexplicableRiches
Reviewed 22 February 2007

We found them online using Google. We liked the picture and booked over the phone. We stayed 2 nights and were their only guests. it was very nice. We had a couple of very busy days visiting family and it was wonderful to return to this old, quiet house in the evening. The bathroom was fabulous, lots of room and plenty of hot water. I'm 6'1" and I washed my hair in the shower without kneeling! (If you are tall, you know what I mean!).

The bed was very comfortable, the parlor a nice treat! I often get up before my wife and it was nice having the extra room. I used the wireless internet with no problems.

Breakfast was amazing both days and we only regret that we didn't have longer to stay and visit. They treated us like royalty and we felt very at home. By the second day we weren't even bothering to lock our door.

Great house, nice room, wonderful couple, delicious breakfasts..we'll be back for sure.

1  Thank jgohlke
Reviewed 9 October 2006

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend at Spencer on Main in September, and it was definitely one of the most relaxing and happy times we have had in recent memory. Caroline and Etienne were more than gracious, and even made restaurant reservations for us, AND arranged a birthday cake surprise with my mother-in-law. We enjoyed strolling around the grounds, and visiting the Clark Institute, which Etienne and Caroline recommended (and even printed up directions for us). We can't help but make this a birthday tradition.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MeganJean
Reviewed 15 September 2006

In August I travelled from Ireland to attend a wedding in Connecticut. I had the privilege of spending four delightful nights at Spencer-on-Main guesthouse. I was utterly charmed by every aspect of my stay. The welcome of my hosts, Caroline and Eitenne, was warm and friendly. They made every effort to ensure my comfort and delivered their services with such ease, catering for my every need. The house itself is a visual splendour evoking a sense of excitement and anticipation as one approaches the doorway. Internally the interiors follow suit. The gracious rooms have been decorated with the utmost taste. Wonderful fabrics and wallpapers are set off with fine antique furniture and paintings. The four-poster yew wood bed in my room was amazing, so high and grand that I had to climb up into it on bed steps, where a chocolate awaited me on the pillow! My peaceful and beautiful suite included both a luxurious and spacious bathroom, with fluffy towels and robes, and a drawing room/study filled with an array of interesting books and periodicals on all manner of subjects. Breakfast was a civilised affair with coffee poured from a silver pot and morning delicacies served on pretty antique china. Caroline and Eitenne were so generous with their time, filling me in on details of places to visit, town history and local information. It was a pleasure to meet a couple who invest so much energy into making their home such a special and memorable place for visiting guests. Spencer-on-Main captures a sense of history, genteel character and luxury. I very much hope to return in the future….

K.Wright, Co. Down, IRELAND

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank KMWRIGHT

Been to Spencer On Main? Share your experiences!