“Not far from Tanglewood.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spencer On Main

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Suffield
Spencer On Main
Ranked #1 of 3 Suffield B&B and Inns
River Vale, NJ
“Not far from Tanglewood.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2007

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at Spencer On Main. We went there to relax and to go to a James Taylor concert in Tanglewood (Lenox, MA). It was wonderful to be away from the huge Tanglewood/Lenox crowds, and yet it took us about an hour to get to the concert. The inn is delightful --- previous reviewers have done a great job describing the fantastic building and its owners. Caroline and Etienne are truly exceptional: fun, intelligent, considerate -- just great people! We plan to go back.

• Liked — The owners and the building
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catavia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rumson NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2007

Everybody's given this Inn 5 Stars - "Excellent" - and I hate to be repetitive but they're right, it really is excellent.

In spite of the rather imposing grandeur of the place, the overall feel is not at all stuffy. The things that should be up to date are - the bathrooms are quite beautiful but at the same time modern, the beds are not just comfortable, they're bordering on sinful, the air-conditioning works (central), everything is dry and clean and comfortable.

But that's it for the modern - the furnishings, the art, the books, the wallpaper - you don't see wallpaper like this any more - they're all gorgeously done, with taste and care, from a different age.

And also in that not-at-all-stuffy vein is the family who owns the Inn. They are, as is always the case with a really good Inn, part of the pleasure of being there, and you can feel it when you talk to these warm intelligent people - interesting to talk to, knowledgeable about travel in general and their area in particular, and warm and friendly. And they're good cooks too.

(My 'room' was actually a large, comfortable suite on the 2nd floor, huge sitting room, unusually large bathroom, big, comfortable canopy four-poster bed. - see my photos.)

What a nice place, definitely be back.

• Liked — The mansion
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank InexplicableRiches
Longwood, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2007

We found them online using Google. We liked the picture and booked over the phone. We stayed 2 nights and were their only guests. it was very nice. We had a couple of very busy days visiting family and it was wonderful to return to this old, quiet house in the evening. The bathroom was fabulous, lots of room and plenty of hot water. I'm 6'1" and I washed my hair in the shower without kneeling! (If you are tall, you know what I mean!).

The bed was very comfortable, the parlor a nice treat! I often get up before my wife and it was nice having the extra room. I used the wireless internet with no problems.

Breakfast was amazing both days and we only regret that we didn't have longer to stay and visit. They treated us like royalty and we felt very at home. By the second day we weren't even bothering to lock our door.

Great house, nice room, wonderful couple, delicious breakfasts..we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jgohlke
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2006

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend at Spencer on Main in September, and it was definitely one of the most relaxing and happy times we have had in recent memory. Caroline and Etienne were more than gracious, and even made restaurant reservations for us, AND arranged a birthday cake surprise with my mother-in-law. We enjoyed strolling around the grounds, and visiting the Clark Institute, which Etienne and Caroline recommended (and even printed up directions for us). We can't help but make this a birthday tradition.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MeganJean
Co Down
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2006

In August I travelled from Ireland to attend a wedding in Connecticut. I had the privilege of spending four delightful nights at Spencer-on-Main guesthouse. I was utterly charmed by every aspect of my stay. The welcome of my hosts, Caroline and Eitenne, was warm and friendly. They made every effort to ensure my comfort and delivered their services with such ease, catering for my every need. The house itself is a visual splendour evoking a sense of excitement and anticipation as one approaches the doorway. Internally the interiors follow suit. The gracious rooms have been decorated with the utmost taste. Wonderful fabrics and wallpapers are set off with fine antique furniture and paintings. The four-poster yew wood bed in my room was amazing, so high and grand that I had to climb up into it on bed steps, where a chocolate awaited me on the pillow! My peaceful and beautiful suite included both a luxurious and spacious bathroom, with fluffy towels and robes, and a drawing room/study filled with an array of interesting books and periodicals on all manner of subjects. Breakfast was a civilised affair with coffee poured from a silver pot and morning delicacies served on pretty antique china. Caroline and Eitenne were so generous with their time, filling me in on details of places to visit, town history and local information. It was a pleasure to meet a couple who invest so much energy into making their home such a special and memorable place for visiting guests. Spencer-on-Main captures a sense of history, genteel character and luxury. I very much hope to return in the future….

K.Wright, Co. Down, IRELAND

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank KMWRIGHT
North Haven, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2006

Our second stay at Spencer on Main was better than the first! This is our favorite place to go for rest, relaxation, quiet and beautiful surroundings. The beautiful historical home is furnished with pieces pleasing to the eye and is very clean. Etienne and Caroline were so good to take my diet into account and prepare breakfast to fit into my plans, and it was delicious. They also took care in recommending two restaurants (one for each night) that we had splendid atmosphere and great food. I would recommend this retreat to anyone that is looking for a getaway!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank dbbohner
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2006

We were only at Spencer on Main for one night but wished we could have stayed longer. The house is obviously well-loved. We stayed in the Delices de la Nuit room, which was lovely and quiet -- with a high canopy bed, a connecting, well-stocked library, and a beautiful new bathroom. Etienne and Caroline took great care of us, and made sure we had a dinner reservation at a superb local restaurant, The Federal. Breakfast was delicious, enjoyed by the fire, and accompanied by wonderful conversation. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suffield
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradley Airport
Hampton Inn Springfield South Enfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 7 in Springfield
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks
Sheraton Hartford Hotel at Bradley Airport

Been to Spencer On Main? Share your experiences!