“Not a good way to do business” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 33 Restaurants in Thomaston
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Watertown
“Not a good way to do business”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

A few weeks ago my wife and I made our first (and last) trip to
the Goose and the Gander restaurant in Thomaston for breakfast.

My wife ordered an omelet, some toast and coffee. I ordered two eggs over easy, hash, homefries, toast, coffee, and orange juice.

When we received our order, I noticed that my eggs were not 'over easy' but were fried hard. Not a big thing. The food was good, we finished our meal, paid the $28 bill, and left.

Afterwards, I couldn't help wondering about those eggs. Was it possible that the cook, skillful enough to work in a restaurant, did not know how to make eggs 'over easy?' That was hard for me to believe. I make them properly almost daily for myself.

Maybe the cook thought that I would not notice that the eggs were not over easy? That was also hard to believe. I did notice.

I came to the conclusion that the cook did not want to waste two eggs, said the heck with it, and sent the improper order out to me.

If you're going to charge me $28 for breakfast, is it asking too much that I get what I ordered?

For the price of two eggs (25 cents?) the Goose and the Gander lost two customers.

Not a good way to do business.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Haste502

Stratford, CT
“really not that good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

Okay, so I read the reviews and this seemed like a nice enough place to go. We were going to Thomaston to see Thomas the Train and wanted a place to bring the grandkids for lunch. As soon as we sat down, I asked my 2yr. old granddaughter if she had poopoo in her pants - she said no, but I couldn't seem to get the smell of pee and poo out of my nostrils. Come to find out, the smell was in the restaurant itself.

Notwithstanding the smell, the food was okay. Atmosphere was less than attractive, although I guess it was better than a fast food joint. Anyway, I wouldn't go back.

2 Thank llogique
northern Ca
“Great seafood in a cozy spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

While on a Christmas visit back east,we tried a cute little place in Thomaston Ct. called The Goose and Gander which a friend recommended for really fresh seafood.The menu is small but if you have the stuffed scrod, you'll be so happy! My husband had the fisherman's platter which had a selection of whole clams,cod and scallops .The breading was so light and the fish so fresh,we were very pleased.The cole slaw is pretty great too! They don't serve alcohol, but you can bring your own and they are happy to open any wine you bring in.They have wonderful specials nightly, the table next to us loved the seafood pasta and homemade pot roast. Try this place, we loved it.

2 Thank northernCaJetster