“Exceptional Experience”
Review of The Tolland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tolland
The Tolland Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Tolland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I've noticed a couple of other review from this same evening; my wife and I were driving back to Boston from NYC and made the mistake of driving through a blizzard. After seeing multiple vehicles spin off the road in front of us we ducked off of the highway at the first exit we found, which happened to be very close to this Inn. Several other guests were part of our "storm party" that evening, and I can't say enough about our host. She had wine and snacks for us, and in anticipation of the storm, had purchased food to prepare for all the guests that evening (at no charge). I've rarely encountered this kind of generosity at any type of Inn, hotel, etc. They're clearly very good at what they do, and we had a wonderful evening chatting with some new people and eating tasty food. I'm fairly certain the breakfast our hosts served the next day wasn't real; it was too large and too delicious. Clearly my nerves had frayed from the harrowing drive the night before and I was hallucinating.

Also, the room was absolutely wonderful (hot tub, fireplace, living area).

My wife and I will certainly make another trip to this inn (without being forced to by a storm). I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Paying a bit more for the larger room with more amenities was well worth it; it's a great place...
1  Thank QwizatzHaderach

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We've stayed at the Tolland Inn several times and have always enjoyed it. It is a lovely bed and breakfast a short distance from Route 84, with a warm fire in the colder months and wonderful, welcoming owners, Susan and Steve. The rooms are individually decorated with some antiques and some gorgeous four-poster beds and other furniture that Steve makes. A few of the rooms have Jacuzzis in them (in separate rooms so you don't smell the chlorine), and at least one has a separate sitting room separated from the bedroom by a fireplace wall. Most rooms have gas fireplaces which provide some of the heat and lots of the ambiance. The full breakfasts that Susan and Steve provide are superb and plentiful.

On this occasion, the night of December 29, we were driving north from New Haven after visiting family there. It had started to snow about an hour before we left. By the time we got an hour from New Haven, the snowstorm was blinding, there was no sign of a snowplow and it was clear that it would take us many hours to get home, just north of Boston. I called the Tolland Inn and Susan told me that she had one room left that she would hold for us. By the time we arrived, about two hours later (it is normally a one-hour drive from NH), many cars had pulled or slid off the road and we very happy to have a place to stay. It turned out that Susan, anticipating the weather, had gone out and bought the ingredients for a "storm supper" which she and Steve prepared for their guests, although this is not part of what they usually offer. We had a terrific evening sitting around the table and talking with the other guest over a dinner of eggplant Parmesan, pasta, salad and wine. This was way above and beyond the call of duty.

While we were waiting for dinner, there were several parties who stopped looking for a room, but none were available. Susan tried to help them out by calling other hotels in the area and by telling which exits from the highway had the largest number of hotels and motels nearby.

Breakfast in the morning was delicious and genial. The sun was out and everything was covered with snow, except the roads which, we were thankful to see, had been plowed.

I'm sure that we would have found someplace to stay that night if the Tolland Inn had not had a room available but it couldn't have been as pleasant.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, it's just a matter of what size bed you want and which amenities (separa...
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We found the Tolland Inn by accident when we were forced to pull off the highway due to bad weather. What could have been a disaster instead turned into a lovely experience. The Inn is beautiful, comfortable, and quaint. The highlight was the incredibly hospitable owners, Susan and Steve, who made us a lovely dinner and breakfast. We hope to return for a planned stay in the future! We highly recommend the Tolland Inn.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

This was our fourth stay at The Tolland Inn. I surprised my wife for our fifth anniversary, with a night at this wonderful location. We had our pre honeymoon there 5 years ago. We have use this location for New Years parties and weekends as well.
Steven's attention to detail with his craftsmanship at the home is impeccable. He keeps the place clean as a whistle. He is also very attentive to any of your needs.
Susan is a very social host as well and is very welcoming. She makes you feel like you are right at home.
The Breakfast is a 10 out of 10. If you enjoy crispy Belgian waffles and perfectly done scrambled eggs, along with piping hot coffee and juice and fruit, you have stumbled upon the right place.
If you are in the area do not hesitate to use them instead of just some other hotel! I mean come on hot tubs and fireplaces!!!! Are you kidding me? This place is the best!

Thanks again guys for a wonderful weekend

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I am late with this review as we were there at the end of September !! This B and B was the last on our 2 week touring trip and it was a lovely haven to get ourselves together and sort ourselves out before our trip home. We arrived before check-in time but were welcomed warmly and soon offered a cup of tea when Susan and Steve heard our accent !!
The Inn is very quaint with some lovely decor and decorations. We changed our room to a Suite...it was great with a separate sitting room and huge comfortable bed.The rooms have hot tubs in them as well as a conventional bathroom. It was very luxiorious ! !.The whole place has a wonderful atmosphere, a little old fashioned but in the nicest possible way. Steve is a craftsman and his work is put to very good use in the house, a very clever man !He was very helpful in carrying our cases to our room as well ! Susan is a great hostess and works front of house very well indeed as well as leading a very busy life !
Some of the floors slope and some of them creak but it all adds up to the ambience of the place and you feel very much at home.
The breakfasts are cooked by Steve and are delicious and filling, all eaten in the lovely dining room at a communal table which is nice as to be able to chat to other guests.
I would definitely recommend The Tolland Inn if you are in the area. There are many places you can get to from there and only one and half hours to the Airport in Boston.
Thankyou Susan and Steve for a lovely couple of nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Tolland Inn an interesting and comfortable refuge from a day of travel. It offers a convenient location just off the main roads. The Inn is located on the town green...a pleasant place for a walk. The rooms are comfortable and the decor interesting. The hosts are very accommodating in their efforts to make guests comfortable. The breakfast is excellent and served in a pleasant dinning room. This is an excellent Inn hosted by two very interesting and skilled people. You will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This is a lovely B&B, I couldn't recommend it more highly. The house is beautiful, filled with antiques and objets trouvé and the owners are delightful hosts. I had a bedroom on the ground floor at the front of the house and thought it might be noisy given the proximity to the road but I had an excellent night's sleep, and when I woke up, had the best blueberry pancakes I can remember. I would recommend it to couples as well. It has the type of feel you want for a quiet weekend away where a good portion of the time may be spent in the room!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Been to The Tolland Inn? Share your experiences!