“Friendly Wait Staff, Fresh Food, Pleasant Environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pizzeria Marzano

Pizzeria Marzano
Ranked #1 of 123 Restaurants in Torrington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hartford, CT
“Friendly Wait Staff, Fresh Food, Pleasant Environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was first time at Pizzeria Marzano. My friend took me here comes here regularly. I enjoyed the ambiance which was clean, modern and more sophisticated than a typical pizza shop. We ordered a Gorgonzola Salad with balsamic vinaigrette and focaccia flatbread (large; $11.95) and a Marzano Pizza (tomatoes, mozzarella, baisl, parmigiano-reggiano, susage and porcini mushrooms;$10.95). It was plenty of food for two hungry guys. The salad was fresh and delicious. The pizza with a soft, chewy thin crust was good, but somewhat bland. I like more spice in my tomato sauce. I would like to see a vegetarian pizza (with assorted veggies) and red sauce on the menu without having to custom order the veggies. Overall, I very nice experience.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pleasuretraveler

Torrington, Connecticut
“Not your basic hole in the wall pizza joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I moved to Torrington a couple of years ago. I asked the neighbors where to get a decent pizza and they all recommended ******** Pizza. (The stars because I didn't care for their pizza at all but lots of people do so I don't want to bad mouth them.)

So I checked TripAdvisor (which I should have done first) and Pizzeria Marzano was number one so I had to try it out. So far I've been there three times for lunch by myself and three times with a friend (who refuses to come to Torrington unless I promise to take her here).

Location: not impressive. It's in a strip mall up on East Main Street by the Big Lots store and the Chinese Buffet. Looks like your basic hole in the wall pizza joint. It ain't.

Inside is better, clean and comfortable with tables and booths. Nicely decorated with lots of photos of Italian family types. It's a bit dim which is a nice change from the you-gotta wear-sunglasses-or-go-blind places. Sinatra type background music but not intrusive.

It's not a sit down and order from the menu place. You order and pay at the counter when you come in (big menu on the wall with (usually) lots of specials). Then you pick your own seating and, by the time you unwrap the silverware, the pizza is there. No kidding. They have this humongous 800 degree brick oven and they say pizzas take 90 seconds to cook and it's true. Fastest order to table I've ever seen in a pizza place. The waitresses are very good about getting you served quick and they keep an eye on your beer glass for refills.

This is very thin crust Neapolitan style pizza with limited toppings (I can eat the thick crust heaped with toppings Greek type pizza that you usually get around here but this is very different). The crust is soft and chewy and crispy around the edges and, if it ain't the best pizza crust I ever had I can't remember better. I don't usually eat the crusts but I don't think I ever walked out of there with anything left on the plate but a couple of grease spots and a few pepper flakes.

So far we've had about 5 different pizzas, all excellent. My favorite is the "Pizza Marzano". My friend likes the white clam pizza which has...wait for it...real clams, with shells even.

Last trip we had the appetizer tray before the pizza. Heaped with Italian meats, cheese and veggies with a big focaccia bread. Normal people (not pigs like us) could make a meal out of just that and a glass of wine.

Drinks: They have a decent selection of bottled wines and wine by the glass. They have the usual ghastly Bud Lite sort of stuff, of course, but they also always have several craft beers. I try a different craft beer every time and have yet to have a bad one.

Tip: wine and beer by the glass ain't cheap (about 7 bucks each, more or less...BUT...the second one is a nickel...which brings the price down to the very reasonable range. (Having one beer with your pizza is like kissing your sister anyway.)

Cons: No delivery. But you can call in a take out order and, unless you live in the parking lot, it'll be ready when you walk in. Not huge pizzas (13 inches) which is fine for those two normal people but you'll need one each for the pigs like us unless you get a salad or appetizer. No anchovies (must be a Neapolitan thing) and this marvelous crust just cries out for anchovies on the side. And not cheap. A pizza and a couple of beers and a tip will put a serious dent in a twenty. But, as Uncle Jessie says of divorces: they're expensive...because they're worth it!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank JBENZ
“Badly Burnt pizza”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided on Pizza, beer and salad for Friday evening. So we headed to our favorite Pizzeria Marzano up the road in Torrington. We were well received, sat down and waited for our salad with focaccia bread.
It came to us burnt black. I decided to try first only to taste badly burnt bread. We brought it to our waitress's attention and she said it is supposed to be like this. My wife and I refused it and they re- made us new focaccia. Well it look much better but only to find that the bottom was burnt by very dirty oven. So we brought it to out waitress attention again and asked if our pizza would look the same.
Well our pizza came out on a timely fashion but this time after we asked them to please pay careful attention that our pizza would not come out burnt, IT DID. Top and bottom. My wife took the pizza up to the counter to show them the burnt pizza only for them to argue that this is how you make pizza.
Well after eating pizza for 35 years we could not believe that this is how pizza is made. This is after we have eaten there many times and have never had burnt pizza before.
We decided to leave the the restaurant with the pizza uneaten.
We let the waitress know we were unhappy and left our food uneaten.
She acknowledged and politely said have a good evening. We will not be going back.
Well I can firmly say this is no longer our favorite place for pizza not because they maybe had a bad evening or because they might not have had a good chef for the evening. But because they argued and stood behind there very badly burnt food and did not want to fix it.

1 Thank Antonretief
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Pizza in NW Connecticut”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Maybe the best pizza in all of Connecticut as well! Excellent thin crust, Naples style pizza, plus they do 5 cent refills on beer and wine! In a pretty non description location in a strip mall next to Big Lots and a package store, but don't be fooled, this place is great!

1 Thank NickB92
Plymouth, United States
“great pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have enjoyed every pizza I have gotten at Marzano's Margarita, the white clam, the mushroom and sausage. One pizza per person is the way to go. You can get wine or beer and get second for 5cents. Salads are great too. I haven't had a bad choice here. It is very different pizza from the type you get in your usual pizza place.

• Visited March 2014