“Surprisingly good”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: City Hall Avenue
Description: Backstage, located next to the Warner Theatre in downtown Torrington, serves casual American food from its full "all-day" menu, prepared fresh from scratch. Service begins daily at 11:30am, and the kitchen stays open late on performance evenings for after-theatre dining. Select from crisp salads and hot soups, creative Small Plates, Perfect Burgers of hand formed Angus patties on house-baked rolls, popular sandwiches, and Big Plate comfort favorites. House-made desserts are a specialty. The antique mahogany bar soars 14 feet above the trendy zinc counter, and presides over northwest Connecticut's largest offering of craft-brewed beers. 24 brands are available on tap, with the bottle selection at more than 70. The well-rounded wine list is popularly priced, with several wines offered by the glass. Customer service is a passion at Backstage. Servers and bartenders serve up our unique "Awesome Customer Service," and management is visibly present during all meals.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Backstage has really improved the last year or two (as of spring 2014). They continue to surprise me with their specials. Their regular menu is a bit standard/boring for this type of restaurant and there are quite a few things that they need to improve. But for before/after show dinners at the Warner or local art gallery shows, this is your best bet for Torrington. Their beer selection is 2nd to none in Litchfield county. As far as their rotating beer selections, they will even give some of the nice pubs in New Haven a run for their money. The one HUGE complaint I have about Backstage is its HORRIBLE acoustics. They really need to add some ceiling sound absorption panels. If they have one of their standard mediocre musicians playing the space becomes intolerable and impossible to talk to anyone. This spills over into the dining area and makes for very unpleasant dining.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My sweetheart and I had tickets for the "Cash is King" Johnny Cash review recently at the Warner Theater in Torrington, CT. We wanted to have dinner before the performance and decided to try Backstage, which is part of the Warner Theater building. Seated promptly upon our arrival, we were given food menus, along with an extensive list of 40+ draft beers and drinks. What caught our eye was the Moscow Mule (appropriate for my Russian redhead as I loving refer to my sweetheart) made with vodka and ginger beer, served in a copper mug. Excellent drink. For dinner we both had the Long Trail Beer battered Fish and chips. Again an excellent meal. The only downside we found was that since the bar and eating area are close to each other, it was considerably noisy in there, but that did not detract from a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I enjoy getting a Crispin hard cider, on tap. It is clean, crisp and dry. There is a very large on tap menu. Also, I always get the pan fried mozzarella. It is one of the best I have ever had. My husband has gotten the fish and chips and they were outstanding.
I like to stop in while my son is at the warner's classes: the perfect place to kill an hour and a half. I would like to go back with some friends.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Backstage is informal but very nice setting, excellent service and great food with a pretty varied selection plus nightly specials. Bar is huge with lots of beer on tap and any drink you can think up. We go about once a month and love to bring friends.

Favorite picks - meatloaf or steak with the demi glaze, meat plate, and a gnocchi special. Homemade beignet dessert special was best single thing I have had there yet.

Reservations recommended because they get packed when the Warner Theater has an event.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I gave this an average rating, but honestly it is closer to poor. After my last visit there, I swore I wouldn't go again. The service was terrible. The food is good, but after waiting a very long time in an only half full restaurant, it was cold and they did nothing to rectify that. Additionally, the building used to be a store and it is large and open. That seems to amplify sound and it is very loud and not conducive to conversation.
On the plus side, it is very convenient to the Warner and would be nice to be able to go there after a show, however based on several less than stellar experiences, I won't be going again.