“Excellent alternative to high priced casino hotels”

Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Place for two days while checking out Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods.

Hotel was very clean, staff was courteous but grossly overworked. The room was large and comfortable. There was a sofa bed, desk, mini fridge and single cup coffee maker as you walk in. A partial wall separated the beds from the sofa. Best and pillow were comfortable. The only strange thing was the sink was not in the bathroom, it was in the same room as the beds. That made it difficult to wash up if the family was still sleeping or if my son was in the room. There was no sink or mirror in the bathroom.

I'm a light sleeper but this was the rare hotel where I heard no outside noise the entire stay.

Lobby was clean. Breakfast area was a bit small. Breakfast was far from what they advertise it to be. Apparently, they were very busy over the weekend and were not well stocked for breakfast the next day. People were asking for eggs but they had pancakes. They had a bowl of yogurt, some oatmeal and an assortment of cereal, some frozen bagels and breads. It was ok if you wanted a carb loaded breakfast. After the first day, we opted to skip the free breakfast and went to Seasons Buffet at Mohegan for breakfast. They offered a limited menu of items for sale to eat all day and a small bar area where you could get a night cap. The also offer coffee all day, but it was super strong and not for me.

The pool was small but adequate but pool towels were too small, more like hand towels. Workout room had a few treadmills, a couple of stationary bikes and some free weights. Again, enough to give you a decent cardio workout.

They have a small shuttle bus that brings guests to Mohegan which runs after 4pm on weekdays and from noon on weekends. It's convenient, but stops at midnight. We took it once and opted to drive the rest of the time. It's a quick ride and easy drive to Mohegan.

Foxwoods was an easy 15 minute drive.

Bottom line; A decent mid-line hotel. and I'd stay there again if I couldn't get a comparable rate from the casino.

Room Tip: Choose a west facing room so the sun doesn't stream in. Get a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank radiiochick
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel.

We do rotate our breakfast selections during the week and feature eggs several days.

It was nice to hear that overall your stay was enjoyable.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

I hope you will use us again on your next visit to the areas.

John Marko

Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

998 - 1,004 of 1,433 reviews

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Location: 10 minutes away from Mohegan Sun Casino. Offers free shuttle to and from the venue which is convenient. Al the shuttle driver was awesome and took me earlier than the scheduled time since I was waiting patiently.

Rooms: King size room did not disappoint. Free use of the fridge. Comfortable mattress. Sofa bed if needed. Did not overhear my neighbors that night which was a plus. Shower had great pressure. Big television with cable.

Food: No room service but offers 24/7 market that you can call down for and pick up when it is ready. Free breakfast in the morning.

Internet: Free wi-fi.

Will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EricaMitchell685
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a nice review of our hotel.

The staff will be very excited to hear about your positive review.

I will pass on your comments to all, especially Al.

Thank you again and I look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This Hyatt Place is located about 10 minutes from Mohegan Sun. They offer a shuttle to Mohegan. Convenient. The hotel itself is clean, rooms are large suites with comfy beds and had a fridge which comes in handy when you stay a couple of nights. Also have a coffee maker in the room. The breakfast is unlike any other hotel we've stayed at. There are ready made egg sandwiches, a variety of bread, pastries, donuts, hot and cold cereal, yogurt and fruit just to name a few. Coffee was delicious. Easy check-in and check-out. Would definitely stay there again. It's worth the few extra bucks. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: If you don't want the sun to come in the room early in the morning, ask for a west facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat D
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

It was a pleasure to read your review. We do pride ourselves inthe breakfast offerings we provide.

I am happy that you enjoyed your experience.

Thank you again and I look forward to hosting you on your next rrip to the area.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have only stayed at two Hyatt hotels and each one stood out due to their exceptional customer service. Each and every employee that I encountered during my stay was not only polite, but they generally seemed to be happy I was staying at their hotel. The location is perfect if you want to visit either the Mohegan Sun casino or Foxwoods. The Mohegan Sun is less than 10 minutes away and Foxwoods is about 20 minutes. This hotel also has shuttles to the Mohegan Sun, but I didn't need to use them so I can't review. I can tell you they seemed to be operating and the drivers were friendly when we were walking out of the hotel. The rooms were nicely kept and the complimentary breakfast served the next day was nicely done. I also appreciated the free internet in my room. I am not sure about the definition of boutique, classic, or romantic to describe the hotel, but I can tell you it was very modern in decor.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel.

The staff will be extremely happy to hear that they exceeded your expectations.

We take pride in our service and it was great to see that their hard work paid off.

I truly appreciate your comments as this is the best way we have to measure our success.

Thank you again, and I look forward to having you as our gust on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've stayed at both Mohegan and now the Hyatt and I would definitely stay at Mohegan next time. Even though the hotel at the casino is usually more expensive, it is a much nicer and more luxurious experience. It's part of the appeal of going to the casino. You park your car and don't think about anything until you leave. I didn't think staying at the Hyatt would be so much different than staying at the casino, but trust me it is.

I was a bit disappointed with the hotel itself. Many of the reviews made it sound really good and I just didn't see that. Our room was spacious and clean, but the soundproofing was terrible. We heard many drunken people coming home throughout the night out in the hallway just like they were in our room. If you build a hotel that caters to a casino crowd, you should soundproof it better. I basically didn't sleep all night because of it. Also, the breakfast was pretty bad. The powdered eggs were cold, the selection was poor and the dining room wasn't very clean.

The coffee was very good though. Also, another good thing was the late night (24 hour) dining. Very nice, unique touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevators (we heard elevator noise as well).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at our hotel.

I do apologize for the noise you experienced from other guests.

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our coffee and the 24 hour food service, we believe this is an added amenity, especially for our guests returning from the casino.

We do have a "Green" program in our hotel, I apologize if the proper signage was not in your room.

Again, my thanks and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to have you as a guest on your next stay in the area.

sincerely

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun is just a few minutes from Mohegan Sun Casino. The hotel has a free shuttle which runs twice an hour. Check with the hotel, as the times vary depending on the day of the week. On concert nights, Mohegan Sun provides an extra shuttle. The rooms are a nice size and are comfortable. Breakfast is included, and while not gourmet, it does have a lot of selections. Even though the hotel was fully booked, breakfast was organized and the selections were promptly refilled. The room was OK clean. The tissue box was dusty and there was a soap wrapper in the tub from the previous guest. Although we were booked for 4 guests, we received 4 bath towels but only 3 face towels and washcloths. Attention to detail is lacking, but the sheets appeared clean and for the most part, it was acceptable. We checked in and, after changing clothes, we went to Mohegan Sun. When we returned at midnight, we turned on the AC, as the room was stuffy. After a few minutes, the stink in the room was unbearable. It smelled like skunk and it was horrible. We knew the hotel was fully booked and changing rooms would not be an option, so we turned off the AC and went to bed. (At midnight, even if they had maintenance working, we didn't want to deal with them trying to fix it). Upon checkout, I informed the desk about the AC problem. I expected an I'm so sorry, we'll check into it right away. What I got was "yes, the 11 rooms (we were in 311) are hooked to a separate duct and they tend to get a musty, strange smell from the AC." Are you kidding? I just paid well over $300 to sleep in a room where you had to chose between AC or stench? This is just bizarre. It would be a great place to stay for less money than Mohegan Sun itself, but they seem to think its OK for the AC to smell. A room that they know smells is just not acceptable.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room ending in 11. The AC is hooked up to a separate duct which smells like sk...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you again for your comments.

I am happy that you found our shuttle service and breakfast more than acceptable. Regarding your problems with the AC in your room, as I stated in the e-mail I sent you, unfortunately the front desk associate misinformed you. I have addressed that with the agent.

As you know I did credit your Hyatt account with additional points for the inconvience that you experienced.

Please again accept my apologies and I hope you will provide us with another opportunity to accomodate you .

Reviewed 15 July 2014

All Positive!!!
New hotel with van transportation to the casino.
Small sign off street can be easily missed - pay attention
Very friendly and accommodating staff
Extremely comfortable beds!!
Clean clean clean!!
Nice strong shower
Mini fridge, coffee maker, etc.
All electronic hook-ups, nice flat screen tv and clock radio with CD player
Hot breakfast included - average hotel food, good selection
Patio to sit outside
Indoor pool (small)

2 suggestions to hotel:
- shelves in the shower/bathroom to put clothes and toiletries would be helpful
- better lighting over sink and an area for ladies to apply make-up

Great stay and would recommend and go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager1234, General Manager at Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write suck a positive review on our hotel.

I can assure you that our staff strives to make each guests staff enjoyable. It certainly appears that you experienced thier great service.

As we plan ahead, I will take your comments regarding the bathroom into consideration for our future plans.

Again, my sincere appreciation and thanks.

John Marko

Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Mohegan Sun
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Hampton Inn Norwich
Hampton Inn Norwich
#1 of 6 in Norwich

Been to Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!