“Would stay again, and reccomend to friends.”

Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vernon
Sao Paulo, SP
“Would stay again, and reccomend to friends.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Listen, before arriving I was really worried over all the bad reviews I had read in Trip Advisor. But now I can only imagine some people must have mistaken hotels while writing their reviews or have had really bad luck in their experience, cause everything went really smoothly and great in our 9-night stay to attend business in UConn (just 20 min away by car).

I started to calm down immediatly upon arrival. The lady in the front desk (Sorry, I am not good remembering names!!) was really nice and I liked her instantly. And for the rest of our stay, all of the other members of the staff were equally nice, offering smiles, good mornings and help all the time you would appear in the lobby. The lady who helped in the breakfast and this nice guy who seemed to be a handyman were also very polite. By the way, the breakfast was simple but was enough for us: bagels, waffle, cereal, cream chease, butter, jam, peanut butter sometimes, tea, decaf and regular coffee, orange juice, milk, apple, and some hot stuff that I never went to check what is was (probably eggs, but I'm guessing). The space to eat is not big, but in the whole 9 days we spent there, we never had problems to find a seat, even had days we were alone in there.

The room was in the ground floor, 129 (I think!), a two double bed room. Good space for two people and their 4 luggages! The bathroom was kind of small for two women to use, but we've managed fine, specially because there were other mirrors in the room. The shower was fine, good pressure and easy way to control temperature. I have to say the ventilation system was too loud and a bit annoying. We had TV, microwave, fridge and coffee maker - all well functioning. The air conditioning system was also working, but was a bit noisy as well. The bed was confortable, the linen was clean, and we didn't had any encounters with bed bugs! Everything seemed clean enough. They cleaned the bathroom and left new towels everyday (that is not very sustainable, though). Yeah, it is a bit old fashioned, the decor could be better, the finishings on paint, wallpaper, and other work done could be better, but these are small things for me (afterall, its not my own house!).

I didn't smell any smoke in my room or around it, however, when I went to the laundry (wich you have to pay 1.25 to use, and only have one washing and one drying machine), I smell a bit of a smoke stink near the 106/105 rooms, but was the only time. I also never went upstairs, so I can't say anything about those rooms.

By car, the hotel is 20 mins away from Hartford (west) and from UConn (east). You have easy access to a mall and a shopping street, nice restaurants and a few supermarkets like Walmart, Target, Stop and shop, Kmart.

After this experience, I would most definitely stay there if I have the opportunity to visit UConn again in the future. I was delivered what it should be expected of this kind of hotel. And would reccomend people to be sure they are not mistaking the hotels (cause there is another nearby hotel) and that they are not expecting more than a 2-star near the road hotel should offer.

Oh, did I mention the pastrami sandwich on Rein's Deli just next door?!?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ReFilippini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NH
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was our first time staying at this particular hotel. The staff is very helpful including Brenda who was on at night and Ricky who was on in the morning. I have to say, this is the friendliest staff all around I've encountered in a long time. Everyone smiles and says "hello" or "good morning." The hotel was very clean from the lobby to the room. It was very quiet for sleeping, the bedding was comfortable, fresh and clean as were the towels, etc. in the bathroom which was small but adequate. The shower water was so hot I had to turn the temp down and it had plenty of pressure.

We enjoyed a very nice breakfast with plenty of coffee, juice, toast, cereal, waffles, scrambled eggs and ham to chose from.

It is located right next door to Rein's Deli which is well known for its NY style deli sandwiches but we'd already eaten so we'll plan to eat there next time. in fact there appeared to be quite a few places to eat nearby.

The price was very reasonable. We asked for a non-smoking room and I did not smell any smoke as someone else mentioned. I would definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Quality_Inn_Vernon, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon, responded to this review, 9 June 2014

Quality Inn
860-871-0004
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Was bitten all night!
Never day I came back and saw one crawling on me. I took photos and actually get manager the bug. He didn't want to refund me for last night since I wanted to leave. I showed him the bug and a google image search for bed bugs. He remained in denial that it was a bed bug

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Albany, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am laying in my bed at the inn right now. There is an overwhelming smell of air freshener trying to hide the smell of smoke in my non-smoking room. The comforter looks ancient and i am pretty sure there isn't an elevator in the hotel. I only stayed here because my daughter's college softball team is staying here. Wish i had read the reviews first. The team also commented the whole second floor smells like a smoking lounge...which is why I am guessing switching rooms wouldn't do any good. Can't wait until tomorrow so I can check out. Yuck.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you have very low standards.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Flanders, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent service. Clean rooms. Stocked bathrooms, towels, toilet paper, tissues. Lots of pillows, warm blankets. Comfy beds. Excellent staff. Great breakfast. Conveniently located. I would def stay here again and plan on it. Had a great experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Tanyazaleski
hafiza21, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Thanks for your time
Well come again
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here in October 2012 during Hurricane Sandy. We live a few towns away and I decided to stay at a hotel with 2 of my kids when our house lost power. Originally booked for two nights but only stayed one night because we got power back the next day early evening. My kids were so glad because they weren't looking forward to spending another night here. We all slept very poorly because we could hear others in the hallway during the night. The front desk service was awful and slow. When I went to check out it took a very long time and it seemed as if she didn't understand what I was asking to do at first. The first room they checked us into actually had someone else occupying it when we entered-very odd and embarrassing! Our second room was on the first floor and there were lots of young children in the lobby/restaurant area and halls during our entire stay. They appeared to be children of the owner/operators or other hotel workers. This added to the noise at times. This was the only hotel that had rooms available at this time or I would have stayed elsewhere. There is no pool or elevator here. The only positive is Rein's Deli right next door.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary H
Hafiza N, Owner at Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for responding to our survey. We appreciate your opinion.

Hafiza Naheed
Quality Inn
425 Hartford Turnpike
Vernon, CT 06066
860-871-2432
New Zealand
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here last year as it was right next door to the very good Rein's Deli. The room was shabby and the bed uncomfortable. The front desk people did not seem professional or to care. This year we went to the Holiday Inn Express a mile to the west on the same road and it was very good. We would not stay here again. The owners don't seem to care.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester

Been to Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon? Share your experiences!