“Never Again”

Red Roof Inn Vernon - Hartford
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here on our way up to Maine after a late start leaving. We were traveling with my dad, so we wanted 2 rooms. I went to my dad's rooms first which was 127 and did a bed bug check. Everything in his room looked fine. My dad was paying a higher rate than me as I was using a hotel coupon from the green travel guide. When I went to my room....129 and proceeded to do a bed bug check I saw nasty sheets. I immediately went to the front desk. I was moved upstairs to room 216. There was no elevator and the hallway was hot and there was a musty smell. In the room, the sheets and bed were fine. There was a hole in the wall that looked like a peephole. I covered it up with tissue. Unfortunately, I never took any pictures. When I checked in, I gave my credit card and informed the clerk that I would most likely be paying with cash in the morning. I did pay with cash. When I got back home a week later, I noticed my credit card was charged, despite the fact I paid in cash. I did get this straightened out, however this should never had happened. During the time we were switching rooms another patron and the clerk, not sure if he was the owner, were making light of the situation of the stained sheets. I thought this was inappropriate and stated so. The hotel is old and dirty and needs a major remodel. I would never recommend this nor would I stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank dixiedawni
Quality_Inn_Vernon, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Vernon - Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2015

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent trip to Vernon. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We apologize our property was not as nice as you expected. Your comments have been taken into consideration and shared with the concerned departments in order to help our guests get the most out of their stay with us.

Until your next visit, we remain at your service.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Vernon - Hartford

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is by far one of the worst hotels I have stayed in, to be fair some of the employee at the desk are helpful and friendly but the owner/manager, Naheed and her family were nothing but friendly, at the business center, the computer are read only, you cannot print and one Naheed daughter want to charge me 50 cents per page to print, wait thais not all, if you leave any of your food items open, the cleanrrs help themselves to any thing visible, the towels and iron provided is just terrible, I will try to upload some pictures for you, breakfast include measured cup of orange juice, waffle, bread, bagel hard boiled eggs and yogurt, nothing to write home about, there is no elevator in case you are on second floor. Bottom line, if you are ever get stuck in this location, look for another hotel or spend the night in your car, the manager and her family will eventually self destruct their own handiwork, do I mention there is an arabic display at the lobby, although there is religious freedom in America, but an English interpretation of the arabic writing will be helpful since this is not Saudi Arabia, I have made sure that my company do not send any of my colleagues to this hotel. I tried uploading picture of the terrible towels provided but dobt if it uploads.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank usmile s

Until your next visit, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was just a stop while traveling home. Beds were good and the room was a good size. Great shower. Some of my visits to other Quality Inns have not been very good, however, this stop was ok. Note! This hotel does not have an elevator and the stairways are at the very end of the building.

Room Tip: As noted above, there is no elevator in this building and the stairs are at the far ends of the buil...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Listen, before arriving I was really worried over all the bad reviews I had read in Trip Advisor. But now I can only imagine some people must have mistaken hotels while writing their reviews or have had really bad luck in their experience, cause everything went really smoothly and great in our 9-night stay to attend business in UConn (just 20 min away by car).

I started to calm down immediatly upon arrival. The lady in the front desk (Sorry, I am not good remembering names!!) was really nice and I liked her instantly. And for the rest of our stay, all of the other members of the staff were equally nice, offering smiles, good mornings and help all the time you would appear in the lobby. The lady who helped in the breakfast and this nice guy who seemed to be a handyman were also very polite. By the way, the breakfast was simple but was enough for us: bagels, waffle, cereal, cream chease, butter, jam, peanut butter sometimes, tea, decaf and regular coffee, orange juice, milk, apple, and some hot stuff that I never went to check what is was (probably eggs, but I'm guessing). The space to eat is not big, but in the whole 9 days we spent there, we never had problems to find a seat, even had days we were alone in there.

The room was in the ground floor, 129 (I think!), a two double bed room. Good space for two people and their 4 luggages! The bathroom was kind of small for two women to use, but we've managed fine, specially because there were other mirrors in the room. The shower was fine, good pressure and easy way to control temperature. I have to say the ventilation system was too loud and a bit annoying. We had TV, microwave, fridge and coffee maker - all well functioning. The air conditioning system was also working, but was a bit noisy as well. The bed was confortable, the linen was clean, and we didn't had any encounters with bed bugs! Everything seemed clean enough. They cleaned the bathroom and left new towels everyday (that is not very sustainable, though). Yeah, it is a bit old fashioned, the decor could be better, the finishings on paint, wallpaper, and other work done could be better, but these are small things for me (afterall, its not my own house!).

I didn't smell any smoke in my room or around it, however, when I went to the laundry (wich you have to pay 1.25 to use, and only have one washing and one drying machine), I smell a bit of a smoke stink near the 106/105 rooms, but was the only time. I also never went upstairs, so I can't say anything about those rooms.

By car, the hotel is 20 mins away from Hartford (west) and from UConn (east). You have easy access to a mall and a shopping street, nice restaurants and a few supermarkets like Walmart, Target, Stop and shop, Kmart.

After this experience, I would most definitely stay there if I have the opportunity to visit UConn again in the future. I was delivered what it should be expected of this kind of hotel. And would reccomend people to be sure they are not mistaking the hotels (cause there is another nearby hotel) and that they are not expecting more than a 2-star near the road hotel should offer.

Oh, did I mention the pastrami sandwich on Rein's Deli just next door?!?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ReFilippini
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was our first time staying at this particular hotel. The staff is very helpful including Brenda who was on at night and Ricky who was on in the morning. I have to say, this is the friendliest staff all around I've encountered in a long time. Everyone smiles and says "hello" or "good morning." The hotel was very clean from the lobby to the room. It was very quiet for sleeping, the bedding was comfortable, fresh and clean as were the towels, etc. in the bathroom which was small but adequate. The shower water was so hot I had to turn the temp down and it had plenty of pressure.

We enjoyed a very nice breakfast with plenty of coffee, juice, toast, cereal, waffles, scrambled eggs and ham to chose from.

It is located right next door to Rein's Deli which is well known for its NY style deli sandwiches but we'd already eaten so we'll plan to eat there next time. in fact there appeared to be quite a few places to eat nearby.

The price was very reasonable. We asked for a non-smoking room and I did not smell any smoke as someone else mentioned. I would definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Quality_Inn_Vernon, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Vernon - Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Quality Inn
860-871-0004

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Was bitten all night!
Never day I came back and saw one crawling on me. I took photos and actually get manager the bug. He didn't want to refund me for last night since I wanted to leave. I showed him the bug and a google image search for bed bugs. He remained in denial that it was a bed bug

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am laying in my bed at the inn right now. There is an overwhelming smell of air freshener trying to hide the smell of smoke in my non-smoking room. The comforter looks ancient and i am pretty sure there isn't an elevator in the hotel. I only stayed here because my daughter's college softball team is staying here. Wish i had read the reviews first. The team also commented the whole second floor smells like a smoking lounge...which is why I am guessing switching rooms wouldn't do any good. Can't wait until tomorrow so I can check out. Yuck.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you have very low standards.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester
#4 of 10 in Manchester

Been to Red Roof Inn Vernon - Hartford? Share your experiences!