“Very flavorful pizzas”

The Stone and Paddle
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
“Very flavorful pizzas”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Great pizzas - all we ever order there (once someone stupidly ordered a hamburger, but you don't go to an Italian restaurant to order a poorly cooked frozen patty). Specialty pizzas are so well cooked - amazing tomato sauce, and we love their hot sausage and gorgonzola pies. Avoid take-out. Their hot thin crust pizzas travel badly, and usually end up with slimy toppings all over the box. But their dine-in service is great (preferred it when it was BYOB though), and child friendly.

Ellington, Connecticut
“Underwhelmed With Food”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We ordered the Veggie Pizza for delivery. It was just OK - not what I consider "California style" & the crust was thicker than I expected for a thin crust pizza. It was heavily seasoned with black pepper and no salt. We also ordered red hot wings & they were overfried to a dry crisp but the gorgonzola dipping sauce was delicious!

The person taking my order over the phone was very nice but upon delivery my soda was left off of my oder & the delivery person was clueless as to what to do. He did offer to bring it back to me but I wasn't going to make him drive all the way back for a $2 soda. I asked him to have the restaurant to credit my credit card.

I was really disappointed with the food because the menu looked amazing. Too bad. :(

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank parrotheadbabe
Manchester, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'm pretty sure that no one there can follow directions/requests”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

So we decided to try the Stone and Paddle as it looked like such a nice place. We ordered take out with specific, clear instructions. I am a vegetarian and wanted a dish that usually comes with chicken and bacon. I ordered a large and SPECIFICALLY asked them to put the meats in a container as my husband is not a vegetarian and we were to split the dish. We came to pick up our food and was assured at least three times that there was no meat on the dish. I looked in the bag and saw a container with the meat in it so felt confident that I had food that was ok for me to eat. Bad idea. Got home, opened my food which had chicken and bacon all over it. Seriously? I called and asked to speak with the manager who told me that I could either waste my gas and go pick up a new salad or have a credit on my phone number as they couldn't credit my debit card. I took the new salad despite my extra expense on gas as I plan to never eat here again.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank pop432
Phoenix, Arizona
“Delicious gourmet pizza in a modern, airy atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 June 2009

The first impression of freshness is when you walk in the door and see all the small, wood laquered tables, with plenty of light coming through the windows, that this is something different from your usual pizzeria. The waitress comes to the table with a basket of hot pieces of what may be described as pizza pieces. She has a small plate of herbs, on which she pours the olive oil at your table for dipping. What a great start!

The starter bread is a sample of the great pizza to come: light, crisp, and airy. I ordered a Gorgonzola Classico, one of their special pizzas, which comes with garlic, big leaves of fresh basil, black pepper, Gorgonzola and parmesan cheese. It has a "tomato sauce", but it seemed more like smashed fresh tomatoes, very tasty.

They have a good selection of other specialty pizzas, many with other cheeses besides your usual mozzarella, but you can get the standard Mozzarella too, and also build your own, starting with their "classic pizza" which includes garlic, tomato sauce, pepper, and parmesan cheese.

The menu lists salads, sandwiches, and pasta dishes, too. They also have a soup of the day.

On the basis of their fresh ingredients, I definitely would want to try their other dishes. Their pizza was definitely one of the best I've tasted, ranking favorably even with Pepe's and the great pizzas available in Hartford. I would definitely go back again.

They do deliver locally.