“adverage campground with great tent sight”
Review of Nature's Campsite

Nature's Campsite
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Voluntown
Nature's Campsite
Reviewed 31 May 2013

we decided last minute this past memorial day to go camping, the campground was pretty much empty ,most people had checked out that morning.
the guy who worked in the store, I believe to be the owner sent us down to a pond tent sight...316 the sight was horrible but he had told us before we left the office that none were booked so if we saw something else in the area we could take one of those sights, we decided on site 120...it was nice not huge but right on the pond, and very woodsy. we went on a weekday so it was super quite and we were alone, perfect!

the next morning when we explored a bit we found that sight 315 or 326 were a bit better, but many sights around is were run down....they were numbered but had now picnic tables, or fire rings...or the grass was just so tall you could not even tell how to enter the sight.
to be honest I am not even sure which sight was which...the signs were unclear, when slow I guess it would not matter but if they were almost sold out I could imagine people actually arguing about sights. most sights were small.

we had a peaceful evening around our fire ..not a single soul not even a staff member came to check on us. To be honest I think there are only 2 staff members. the staff was easy going very friendly and laid back , which in some way they did not push the rules like tent limits on one sight ect.

we used the bathroom, they were not clean ...but not nasty either. basically what you would expect from a campground or beach sort of bathroom. the showers could use a good cleaning, but I was camping so to be honest I did not expect perfect. if I wanted clean and perfect I would have gone to hotel. I wanted an out door experience with showers and bathrooms, I camped most of my childhood and teenage years and their bathrooms were like bathrooms I have been in at all the other campgrounds. I would imagine the resort amusement park style campgrounds would have hotel style bathrooms....so if that was what you wanted then don't stay here.

expect check in to take a bit, they use a laptop which seemed to have a poor signal or service.
the campground borders the pachaug state forest and is in the small little hick town (which I love) of voluntown, so if you are a person who can not live with your cell phone than this is not the place for you. No service.

make sure you go prepared with food, wood and what not because their store is basically empty with only soda and expensive piles of wood.
on that note if you forget something than you will need to put a $10.00 cash deposit on a access card that will raise the gate when you come and go. they will refund the money when you check out. this is where I had my problem, the night before we froze when way to early in season to camp in new England lol. so we were exhausted and did not feel like packing up for their 11 am check out, when we got to the office to check out it was closed with a note on door to call a phone number. we had no cell phone service so we could not call, two different sets of campers went by .we asked to use their cell phone but no service either. we stood their for about 20 minutes until I saw someone out by the pool driving a golf cart. thank god i am a loud person i was able to get his attention as he drove away. he wanted to know why we did not call, I told him that there was no cell phone service.

I guess they live right there next door, wish I knew that.
they really should put an intercom system, door bell, or phone outside of office so people who have no service can call.

I was ready to leave, so this departure experience will most likely keep me from returning.
to bad because they were friendly and we liked our tent sight.

Room Tip: go prepared with everything, the area has limited stores (just two gas stations one with a bit large...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank heather p

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I happened upon this place, just looking to camp in CT and not really knowing the area, just that I didn't want a camp resort that was more amusement park than campground.

We got exactly what we wanted - a lovely serene setting, big flat camper lots, full water/electric (and sewer). The pools are very nice with plenty of chairs. They had a DJ Sat evening, at the pool, blasting music through the campground, but no one except kids really went up there to hang out.

The other campers pretty much stayed to themselves, with just the wave or nod as they strolled or putted by on golf carts, but everyone seemed nice and chill.

Postives: large lots, full amenities, nice low-key owners with a very polite and helpful son.

Negatives: bathrooms were just serviceable...2 toilets, 2 sinks, 2 shower stalls. No mirror, no hand soap at the sink. I'm not looking for luxury, but it would be nice if the slide locks aligned with the holes for a few moments of privacy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I recently went to Nature's Campsites with my immediate family, as well as some of my extended family for a close to home extended weekend trip. We had a camper and some people were in tents on their own sites close by. The campsites were very big and wooden compared (this was very nice) to a lot of other campground we have been to. There name "Nature's Campsites" fits well. We all enjoyed being able to be together playing games and enjoying the campfire and smore's on one site with plenty of room to move around and be comfortable and not feeling like you are on top of your neighbor. Natures campsites is not a resort by far, so if you are looking for a resort style campground like Normandy Farms than this is NOT the place for you! Natures Campsite's has more of an outdoor's camping feel to it.

The sites should be cleaned up after the campers leave. I did have to rake my site up from the previous campers who left a mess(I did not say anything to the owners, I just took out my rake that I had brought with me- I learned from previous camping trips- that I would not go back to, but Natures Campsite's is one that I would defiantly try again).

The fire pits have a comforting feeling to them. They are a decent size rim, but around the rim is a huge boulder that they broke to fit around the rim and they put the pieces that they broke on the sides so you feel like your fire is secure and you can enjoy it. I would have liked to see it cleaned out for us, and not all the ash and trash that was in it though. **So note to owners- Please make sure sites are cleaned (Raked, mowed and trash free, and fire pits are cleaned out.

We took a lot of walks around and seen some other campsites that we would like to try, but some of them were missing #'s and some were in trees and some on the electric box's. **Note to owners- Remark your site #'s (all the same way. I suggest little wooden signs at the beginning of the sites with the #'s carved in them, I think this would fit in to the nature feel that the campground already has going for it. This will make it more eye appealing and easier on campers to find sites.
It does have 2 in ground pools (one 3 to 4 feet, and the other 3 to 5 feet) that were very clean, and great for kids and adults.

At some point an updated playground would be nice. While they do have a playground it is very old, but the kids still have fun!

They do have restrooms with free showers and flushing toilets. I do have to say though that the showers were not very clean looking- there was a lot of soap scum/hard water stains. We did see a woman always around cleaning the bathrooms with bleach though, so it is not as though they do not clean them- I think that they could use some stronger cleaner made just for this and scrub a lot- then just a regular cleaning and routine maintenance cleaning would do. As for the rest of the bathroom it is camping not luxury and they do constantly clean them. Another thing all the bathrooms could use is hooks so people can put their clothes/towels on, no one likes to put things on the floor.

They have a camp store, it is very small, and does not have much- so make sure to bring what you need. I would recommend to the owners to stock more of a variety of items, and more RV supplies.

They do have canoe rentals, it is on their river, we did not do this do to the lack of rain fall the river was very shallow. I would recommend to the owners that you should build a small ramp and set up the canoes and kayaks to look a little more appealing. The river is stocked with trout, so you can have fun fishing, just make sure to take your own bait, they do not carry any. ***Note to owners- You might want to invest in a little live bait.

They say they have an arcade, but it is closed. The sign says closed Memorial Day Weekend due to renovations. I went well after Memorial Day weekend and it was still closed.

One of the seasonal campers told me that this is new owners, so I just wanted to share our thoughts not to bash the campground, but to let them know of little things that do not cost crazy amounts of money that will make a big difference, and still keep it a one of a kind outdoor's camping feel to it. Hopefully they will see this posting and make some little changes that will make a big difference.

The owners/staff are very nice. We would go back here again, and I look forward to going back to hopefully see some changes. I really think that this campground is one of a kind. You feel very relaxed and the kids enjoy it as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have been camping at Natures for approximately 30 years....started as a tenter and now am a seasonal camper. When I started, the ole man ran a tight ship and the campground was gorgeous and reasonably priced. Then, the ole man no longer ran it and eventually passed and his son and grandson then had health problems in addition to other family issues and squabbles. During this time, things did take a dive and yes, became run down, lax with the rules, and on top of it, the fees doubled, for some they quadtripled and in one years time which lead to a huge exodus of old time seasonals....close to a third of the seasonals who were there at the time. For some reason.....maybe our loyalty, history here, or just the simple hope things could turn around and this family would once again take pride in what the ole man created, and low and behold things are slowly beginning to improve. Heidi in particular is genuinely caring, helpful, organized, and tries to implement more activities for everyone of all ages. This campground finally has more help, is adequately maintained, and the rules are more closely monitored. It also offers the best of both worlds.........its not a "resort" and has nicely wooded sites but still offers activities and is in close proximity to RI Beaches and the casinos.

Room Tip: By "rooms", I was referring to the cabins. Could use a little more sprucing up.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Workers were helpful and actually every one was very friendly. Only my second time camping in Ct. Teenage son loved paintball but you have to be ten or older to play. My younger son was kind of bummed . Canoe trip was relaxing and . Pools were very clean. Always some one cleaning restrooms. Had to wait half hour at one point, showers were free. I recommend our site. "316"
On the river.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank 030872john
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We started out at Nature's in a pop-up tent and now have a seasonal site. It has improved so much over the past couple of years - the facilities are clean, updated and the pools sparkle! The owners and staff at Nature's are awsome and they treat you like family. The kids have a great time with all of the activities and they make new friends every season while the older kids and adults can play paintball right there! A lot of our friends who've visited us while at Nature's have ended up becoming regulars themselves! It's the best campground around!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank bpbrsunshine
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Staff was very helpful. The bathrooms were recently updated. The seasonals were very friiendly, not clicky like other campgrounds. Nice big campsites. Not on top of eachother. Just enough activities for my kids without being over structured. The pools were wonderful. Big and clean. Heidi, Nate, Pete and staff thank you for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank furrywall

Been to Nature's Campsite? Share your experiences!