“Food was excellent...service and ambiance could use work”
Review of J.Christian's

J.Christian's
Ranked #7 of 178 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Trenton, New Jersey
“Food was excellent...service and ambiance could use work”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had a business dinner at J. Christian's on a Tuesday evening in Nov. 2013. Parking was horrible (what the heck is happening in Wallingford CT). We had 14 people. Were told we had a private room which turned out to be upstairs with two tables (not good) - nothing private about it. The ambiance was not good but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food which is the ONLY reason it is getting a 4 circle very good. The management set up our very young server (Kevin) - one server for 14 folks - fixed menu by the way. Took forever to get wine and was told there is just one bartender. We ordered wine which came but when we wanted another bottle of white Kevin said they ran out. This is not an inexpensive place and I don't blame Kevin. I blame management since they could have done much more to help this young server and us to have a better time. If the staffing was correct, or you came with a couple of people I think you would enjoy very much. I had appetizers (calamari, meatball things, cheese plate) other than cheese plate (blah) others were excellent. My entree was Southern Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy - very very good - not too heavy, no grease, nice potatoes. Overall summary: Food: Excellent, Service: as good as he could do with no help (MANAGEMENT ALERT), Ambiance: YUCK but with less than 15 might be better.

• Visited November 2013

Central Village, Connecticut
“Wonderful menu, but they don't deliver”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Menu is quite sophisticated and appealing. Service is OK but not outstanding. Food misses the mark because of flavors which clash (uninspired is perhaps the best word). Think delicate pear slices with a pungent overpowering vinaigrette. Doesn't work.

Bartender substituted ingredients (club soda instead of tonic) because he hadn't had time to change the tanks over and had run out of tonic. Unacceptable in my mind. We won't return.

Visited August 2013
“Great food, great atmosphere, great service!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

This was our first time here and we really liked it. The decor is very nice, comfortable. The server seemed genuinely pleasant and also knowledgeable. Get the popovers, they are terrific! Calamari app was also really good. You can really choose your price range. Yes there are expensive entrees, but they also have a nice selection of lighter fare, such as the fish tacos I had which were only $10.50 and were delicious. I'll try to upload a photo of those. My husband had the tuna and our friend had a lobster pasta special. Both were more pricey but well worth it. The chef here really knows what he or she is doing!

Visited August 2013
“High priced terrible food.”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I have been here twice as I figured the first time was a fluke, nope. Too bad the beautiful architecture of the building does not match the food. Save your money, stay awsy.

• Visited July 2013
North Haven, ct
“excellent food....kinda high prices”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My niece had her bridal shower here and the food/staff/bar was wonderful. Everything tasted great and the staff was friendly and courtious. That was my 1st time there....it lead me to go back. The food is very tasty and service very friendly...however, the prices do tend to be a tad high. I had a pasta dish that was a few bucks short of $20....it was pasta...no need for it to be that highly priced. However, that said, it was very tasty/hot/etc. If you'd like to try this restaurant, i suggest going to welihomeshopper.com and getting the gift certificate deal they feature....which is $40 worth of food, for $20.....great bargain!

• Visited August 2012