“Very Good”

Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wallingford
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Recently stayed here and had a very good experience. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean looking and smelling. The outdoor courtyard in the middle of the hotel was well-maintained and pleasant to sit in. The only knock was that the small restaurant/cafe they had was not staffed well enough to handle the morning crowd. I stood in line for 15 minutes waiting to order a coffee and something to eat, but the line literally never moved, so we just took off and went out to breakfast. Overall, a solid experience. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew889
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Thank you Andrew889 for your wonderful feedback! We continue to strive to keep all of our guests very happy overall. Our recent complete hotel remodel is really resulting in positive guest experiences. Our staff is also top notch and really want you to feel comfortable in your home away from while traveling. I am sorry to hear about your experience in our Bistro. I can assure you that this is not the normal experience however we have staffed more accordingly for our breakfast rush to give you the most efficient experience possible. I hope to see you visit again in the near future and thanks again for the feedback. Take care!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We checked in for 4 nights as a family with 2 small children. The hotel is full of business travelers so it wasn't a family focused hotel. The room was small and beds are small. Clean but needs some attention to the other entrance from the side where our room was. But for the price I'll not have a problem returning back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby, unless you don't mind walking a long walk.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you Tharwat E for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value your feedback. At the Courtyard by Marriott in New-Haven-Wallingford we take cleanliness and comfort as one of top priorities. We have recently cleaned up our landscaping around the hotel and outside of each entrance as well adding beautiful plants and flowers to enhance our grounds. In your future visit to the area, I would love the opportunity to upgrade you.We have spacious suites that are available with king size or two queen beds and a separate living room area. We also have rooms facing the lovely landscaped courtyard with an outdoor balcony which is unique to our hotel as well. We hope to see you soon and hope you enjoy the fall weather. Take care!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed at many Marriott Courtyards and this one was a gem. The lobby area was immaculate as were the hallways, rooms, business center, restaurant and pool areas. Check in was friendly and efficient. The rooms have recently been renovated, and our room was spotless, with modern art and lighting, color coordinated drapes (which when pulled closed completely darkened the room), painted walls and carpeting. The king sized bed mattress was a bit hard but still comfortable, with four large pillows. The room also had a couch, desk, and large modern TV. Free Wi-Fi in the room as well as a small refrigerator and coffee maker. Separate rooms for bath/shower and sink. Housekeeping was excellent. All the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly with smiles on their faces. We enjoyed the indoor pool, which was clean, bright and well maintained. The small open restaurant area served breakfast as well as dinner. We had breakfast there and had a choice of dry or hot cereal with fruit, yogurt, eggs w/meats and toast/English muffins, pastries and Starbucks coffee. Service was very good. An opportunity for improvement would be to offer express check out (no check under the door or TV check out available). However, check out at the front desk was very quick with either a hard copy or email of the final bill offered. This is a well managed hotel and it shows. Located just off Rt. 91 at exit 15 and about 3 miles from Rt. 5 in Wallingford where many restaurants are located. Will definitely stay here again if we are in the area. Recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for the great feedback Qualityman64! I’m very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were pleased with our recently renovated rooms. I do apologize for your check out experience. It is normal policy for us to have it delivered at some point during the night and you have my sincere apologies that yours was not. Thank you again for your pleasant words about the property and also for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I really liked this hotel. I stayed here for a friend's anniversary barbeque in New Haven/Hamden and it was one of the cheapest/nicest/closest options. It was very clean, it had a well-equipped fitness center (with TVs on the machines!), fresh cookies and lemonade in the afternoon, and high quality toiletries. I gave it a four for two reasons - the first is that the breakfast is not free, and it's not cheap. Luckily, there are a lot of options not far from the hotel. Also, the room I stayed in had a balcony, which was lovely during the day but at night, not so much. There were lots of loud guests outside on all the other balconies. I feel bad about not giving a higher score just for this but I really needed sleep and I didn't get it as a result.If it were possible, I would give the hotel a 4.5 Because really, I would likely stay here again next time I'm visiting folks in the area.

Room Tip: The inside courtyard view rooms might be a better option than the outside facing rooms with the balc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyCamper613

Thank you for your feedback HappyCamper! I’m very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am terribly sorry for the commotion coming from the courtyard. We did have a wedding in house that weekend however since then we have come to a solution so our other leisure guests are not less inconvenienced. I’m delighted to hear you took advantage of our 24 hour gym with state of the art equipment. If you are ever in the area again feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to make sure to upgrade you during your next visit and treat you to breakfast at our property. You will love it! Thanks again for the great feedback and thank you for choosing the Wallingford Courtyard!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed four nights in August. Property is clean and bright. Extremely friendly staff. Nicely decorated lobby. Rooms well decorated with spacious bathroom, but I wish the rooms were just a tad larger - the layout was cleverly designed to give the illusion of more space, but I would have like a tad more elbow room.
Desk service was teriffic, and the bar/dinette staff are all excellent and accommodating.
I liked the layout of the place, and having 24 hour access to the workout room was great.
Room doors are nice and thick, and insulate well against hallway noise.
I didn't sleep all that well, probably more from the bed being unfamiliar than uncomfortable - linens were of good quality, and the bed itself seemed fresh.
Minor "points off" for my first night being really expensive ($179), and for the soap and shampoo being the smallest I've yet to see at any property. My suggestion to the traveler is bring a fullsized bar of soap, and a "travel/trial" size of your favorite shampoo. My suggestion to the hotel's management is to give out larger-sized toiletries, or perhaps offer an "upgraded" package of them for a nominal amount of money.
All in all, a more comfortable and pleasant stay than I expected. There's a competing property in Meriden of a similar nature - I attended a class there in a conference room, and based on the tired look of the property, I'd advise against staying there - stay at the Courtyard in Wallingford instead.

Room Tip: Don't be dismayed if you get Room 101 or rooms near it. The hallway carpeting and stout room do...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback Aaron W! I am pleased to hear that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay! The hotel was recently renovated and everything in the room is brand new so I am very happy you found it well decorated and clean. I would also like to take this time to let you know that in the future when you stay with us all Paul Mitchell toiletries including, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and soap are complimentary. It would be our pleasure to have plenty of extras brought to your room! I do love the idea of having a upgraded size of toiletries and will further look into that as well. If you’re looking for a little more space on your next stay we also have King Suites and Double Suites available. It would be my pleasure to upgrade you if you are back in the area. The suites come with a separate living area divided by french doors as well as a second television for your convenience. definitely more spacious and would be to your liking for sure! Thank you again for your feedback Aaron and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. It is conveniently located just off the highway, however you have to drive to get to any restaurants or shopping. The hotel offered the basics, our room had two double beds and a small balcony overlooking the central court yard. While this at first appeared to be a nice bonus, we also overlooked other balconies including one where the occupant did not feel the need to wear pants.
The hotel was recently renovated and everything was nice and clean and all appliances worked. The TV picture was poor. I did not like the bathroom set up. The sink is in a separate alcove and the w/c and tub are in a small windowless room. It was very claustrophobic.
The business center in the lobby was two computers, there was a nice seating area and the front desk staff was helpful.
It is a cafe set up for breakfast which was not included in our stay. It was crowded and noisy. We went to a local diner for breakfast.
There is small fitness center and a pool. We did not use either.
Overall is was fine for one night and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for your comments Green1MA. We always appreciate honest feedback about our property and it will only help us become better and better. We are about 1.5 miles to any shopping and restaurants however we do offer a restaurant at the hotel that serves both breakfast and dinner as well as a bar. We also have a 24 hour "market" that offers a variety of snacks and beverages as well as fresh made foods daily to make food offerings as convenient as possible. We also proudly serve Starbucks 24 hours a day.
We also have a hotel shuttle that can transport any guest within 5 miles of the hotel so that they can shop or visit the local restaurants as well whether they do ro do not have transportation.
We are happy to be newly renovated and feedback has been extremely positive from our guests. The TV picture has been corrected for the television from the room you have stayed in and turned out to be a loose connection. All of our televisions offer high definition channels to give you the best picture possible.
Again, Thank you so much for your feedback and we hope to see you soon! Feel free to reach out to me if you are ever in the area again. Have a great remainder of your summer!

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Kudos to the Courtyard by Marriott in Wallingford for their lovely staff, clean and pleasant rooms, nice amenities, and convenient location. I was in New Haven for 10 days taking care of a very ill parent, spending 12 hours a day at Yale New Haven Hospital. This hotel was my oasis at the end of the day, and everything about it was great. The front desk staff are lovely and accommodating - props especially to Lindsey, who is a delight and went out of her way to make my stay more pleasant. They offer tasty food in the Bistro (though be aware the hours are limited). My room was large, comfortable, clean and incredibly quiet. I started at the Clarion in Hamden and it was terrible - stale smoke smell in the room, rude front desk staff. To my surprise the Marriott was no more expensive, and after I moved there I could not have been happier. I will stay here every time I return to the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Joe F, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words about our property, staff and amenities! We work to make sure every guest walking into our doors has the best hotel experience they have ever had. Lindsay is a fantastic guest service representative with top notch service. We hope to see you again very soon! Have a great summer!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallingford
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Fairfield Inn New Haven Wallingford
Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden

Been to Courtyard New Haven Wallingford? Share your experiences!