The Dunloe
Orbitz.com
US$355
US$157
Travelocity
Killarney Court Hotel(Killarney)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$177
The Ross(Killarney)
US$338
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe gapdrinks receptionwedding venuethe hotel managerjason cliffordbridal suiteindoor tennis courtsstar servicesecond to noneamazing hotelwould highly recommend this hotelring of kerryhorsesirelandkillarneypasture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2013

On honeymoon in Ireland we decided to spend our last two nights in luxury. Unfortunately luxury was not what we got. We got a superior room, which was spacious with an amazing view of the gap and a fridge but that was where the superior status ended. The mattress and pillows were rock hard. I only noticed the next morning that the bedspread had a stain on it. Someone had previously spilled coffee or something on it. I left the bedspread with the stain in plain view so it would be changed. However when I checked it that night, it had been put back on the bed. Also we had a lovely balcony but because of the swallows there was bird feces on it. This wasn't cleaned either. The bathroom was TINY and my husband had to bend down to get a shower. Also, the television jumped channels and we were unable to get wifi even though we were on the highest floor.

The grounds were beautiful with lovely walk down by the river. However the inside of the hotel was dated and needs refurbishment. We had dinner and although the food was delicious, it wasn't 5 star quality or the fine dining promised. The buffet breakfast was tasty but there was no other cooked choices, e.g. eggs benedict, fish, etc.

The pool was nice and water was warm, with small steam room and sauna. However I was expecting a range of treatments and the only treatments on offer were back massage or facial.

The hotel had nice qualities but it definitely wasn't five star and for the money we paid I was more than disappointed finishing our honeymoon in a hotel that yes had friendly staff but overall I feel should only have a four star rating at most.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joby06
KillarneyHotels, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Jody06,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met in certain aspects of your stay. I sincerely apologise that you found your balcony to be dirty and can only assure you that this is certainly not a standard experience of the hotel. I also regret that on this occasion the pillows and mattress were not to your liking. I can assure you that had you made us aware of the situation we would have delivered softer pillows to your room and changed the bedspread. With regards to your breakfast experience, we have a Chef at the hot buffet to cook your eggs to order. Should you have asked for kippers we would have gladly organised it for you. Thank you once again for your feedback. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. I hope that we might have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future. If you would like to contact me, I would be happy to speak to you further about your experience, should you wish to do so.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Had lunch today with two young friends at the Dunloe. Found the whole experience a little less satisfying than I would expect from a sister hotel of the Europe. I opted for a tuna sandwich on brown bread. The bread was what I would describe as good quality sliced pan rather than anything approaching freshly baked brown soda bread. The salad garnish was minimal. At a price tag of EUR7.20, I expect more style and substance here! One of my friends had the honey roast ham sandwich. She too was underwhelmed that the ham was of the shiny, local shop variety rather than something more 'fait maison'. On the positive side, out waitress was very pleasant and efficient.

Apart from the food, the whole ambience in the cavernous restaurant at lunchtime was very 1970s special occasion rather than the smart contemporary experience to which we have become accustomed in other 5-star establishments in these environs. It is time for the Dunloe to get a stylish makeover to bring it into the 21st century!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear musicalmini,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Dunloe. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. I was disappointed to read the contents of your review. However I have taken your comments on board and will be addressing them. I note your dissatisfaction in relation to your dining experience and assure you that all our food is sourced from local suppliers and made to order. As you will no doubt have read some of the other reviews on Trip Advisor I would wish to again encourage you to return for a visit, so that we may have the opportunity of changing your opinion of us.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We got married in The Dunloe on July 5th. In the run up to the wedding, we had heard so many good things about The Dunloe and it did not disappoint. All of the staff were simply terrific, ably led by Jason Clifford, Lisa Fricke and Duncan. Nothing was impossible. The weather was fantastic and this merely helped to amplify the natural beauty of the hotel setting loooking out at the Gap of Dunloe. This point was made to us by the majority of our guests.
The canapes and drinks reception reveived very high praise from all of our guests, all tastes were catered for. The meal itself was simply fantastic and each of the guests received their delicious meal promptly. A number of the guests commented on the meal. One of my uncles made a comment that 'It was the finest meal that he had ever eaten at a wedding', whislt another guest commented on the starter saying that 'It was the most delicious starter he had ever eaten, be it at a wedding or in a restaurant'.We simply cannot praise The Dunloe highly enough in giving our guests and ourselves the most memorable of days. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fitzer12

Dear Fitzer12,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor after your recent wedding with us. I am delighted to read you had such a wonderful stay with us and that every detail of your wedding was to your expectations. I look forward to sharing your comments with the whole team here especially the kitchen and restaurant team. Congratulations again from all the team at The Dunloe. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel is fabulous. I have to say I'm very particular about my choice of hotel on holiday-cleanliness is top priority and this hotel more than met my expectations!! The views from our room were fab-overlooking The Gap of Dunloe and the horses grazing in the field. There is not many hotels out there that have so much to offer kids- older kids 8-13 age bracket, so our kids were delighted with so much to do-horse riding, fishing, playground, indoor tennis, games room & spectacular pool with immaculate changing area. We stayed there on 11th July, really hot-28 degrees.....with NO air conditioning in rooms, I took it for granted that a 5* hotel would have air con. I would love to go back again to The Dunloe

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Poppy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The views certainly are beautiful and no better place to relax and enjoy the view than on your private balcony. Thank you for your appraisal of our family friendly facilities we do our utmost to ensure a five star experience for even our youngest guests. I hope we'll see you back with us in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

The hotel and grounds are fantastic. Not in the city center and the beds were not comfortable but the property is gorgeous and the staff was incredibly friendly. It was a great place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Kathleen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us and I will pass on your comments to all the team. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dunloe in the future.