“Family Orientated with Luxury but not Five Star”
Review of The Dunloe

The Dunloe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaufort
dublin
“Family Orientated with Luxury but not Five Star”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel for four nights over Easter of 2014. It was recommended to us by it's sister hotel, The Europe where we stayed last October.
Overall, we really enjoyed the Dunloe but there are a few buts! Our interconnecting rooms were very comfortable with the exception of the pillows which were hard. While the rooms were spotless, I felt I was constantly ringing down for things when I arrived and while the Reception crew were superb and very professional, I felt bad with my constant requests. For example, we had requested non feather pillows and duvets and a cot, none of which were in the room when we arrived which was annoying. There was also no tea/coffee making facilities or still water in the fridge which should be a given for families with small kids particularly kids needing bottles.
The restaurants were lovely and the food was top class. The older staff were very child friendly and nothing was a problem. I felt some of the younger restaurant staff in the casual dining area were a bit intolerant of small kids which was irritating.
Room service was very quick and I found the Reception staff to be superb as I mentioned already.
The grounds are truly magnificent and they have a superb playground which was very well maintained. The ponies are very well looked after and are available for the kids to go riding. Super friendly staff. Kids club was super aswell and Bronagh was full of beans.
My only real gripe was the pool. Both the pool and the surrounding area are freezing and going for a swim was really unpleasant. Everybody that I spoke to during our stay said the same thing and it was a real issue for families who said it would put them off returning. The heaters surrounding the pool were switched on after I made yet another request but although I checked several times, there was cold air coming out of them. A friend of mine made the same observation when she stayed several years ago. Seriously? Sort out the pool. Playroom was a nice idea but needs a few more toys such as building blocks .
Having said all of that, we did enjoy it and will return next year and the Manage,r Jason is super.. He was very visible all of the time and very interested in hearing any observations both good and bad. So Jason, sort out the pool!!!

Room Tip: Ask for any of the rooms beginning with 6 as they have all been done up.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank chanelle d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is very late and overdue. We visited the Dunloe in June of 2013 and had a wonderful stay. It's by far one of the best resorts I have ever stayed in and my family feels the same. The service was impeccable and the staff was incredibly friendly. We were there on an off week so there weren't many guests, so it was probably a different experience, but we just loved it.

The grounds are gorgeous and the horseback riding and walks around the grounds were just lovely. My kids didn't want to leave and we didnt either. If it wasn't for the fact that I had prepaid for another hotel in another part of the country, we could have stayed the rest of our visit there.

For my daughter who has Celiac Disease, she was able to eat an assortment of foods and the chefs were wonderful to work with. My son enjoyed the pool and the swing set was fantastic.

When we go to Ireland again. This may be our only stop!

Room Tip: try to get a room on the side of the Gap of Dunloe. Beautiful scenery as you are looking out from yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 4Beasts
Enfield
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on our visit to Killarney and what a great treat it was. We were given a room with a view of the Dunloe Gap and it is a spectacular view. We went for a walk around the grounds and my wife spotted the horses roaming the fields. I spotted the river so we were both in our element. We went for a horse ride which is aimed more for kids but was a nice relaxing way to see the countryside. I went fishing in the river but unfortunately caught nothing. We had a lovely dinner there the steak was exceptional and so was the dessert. The breakfast was a buffet but the food was very good and an egg was cooked in the way you wanted it. The swimming pool and gym are also good and the glass lift gives a nice view on the way up to your room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheDudeEnfield
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My son had his wedding reception at The Dunloe in September and what a spectacular venue it is. The hotel is luxurious, the grounds stunning and the staff treat you like you are family. We spent three nights there, ate all our meals there and were never disappointed at any stage. The wedding reception was first class, the food was memorable and the attention we got from the staff would certainly bring us back and I would be happy to recommend The Dunloe to anybody for a relaxing break but especially if you are planning a wedding. Well done to Jason and his staff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a lovely view of the garden but an even better one of the Gap of Dunloe
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gamlaman
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2013

There isn't a better word or describe this hotel other than 'beautiful'!! We were upgraded to a suite for an extra €35 per night.... And it was amazing! We had a beautiful view of the gap of Dunloe and a very clean and beautifully decorated room. Pool and leisure facilities were quaint and clean- very relaxing. We dined in both restaurants and the fillet steak was to die for! Couldn't have been happier with everything, well worth the price you pay. Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Avail of the offer to upgrade, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chennai
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A slice of heaven-Nestled amongst pristine panoramic view of the hills, streams and tall dark trees, acres of lush green grass, wandering stallions munching sedately at the grass, the Dunloe whisks you away to a whole new era. The hotel rooms are beautiful, and the view from the balcony as the myst comes down the hazy hills makes one think that one can pen poetry. It was a one night stay, would definitely recommend staying here. Dinner and breakfast was really good and the service impeccable. Highly recommended :)

Room Tip: Rooms with Balcony have great views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and i got married here on the 30 th august 2013 , from start to finish our day was flawless . We had our civil ceremony here in the maple room , with views that would take your breath away . Elisabeth looked after our day in every way possible , she went above and beyond for us . I would highly recommend anyone planning a wedding to consider the Dunloe highly . The setting , the staff , the location are none I have ever experienced before . We look forward to returning for our anniversary next year

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank val186612
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
The Europe Hotel & Resort
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to The Dunloe? Share your experiences!