“Beautiful Gardens”
Review of The Dunloe

The Dunloe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in this nice hotel. First off, I did not have time to avail myself of the spa or pool or gym or horseback riding, so I cannot comment on those.

For me, the best part was the view from the dining room. Stunning views past verdant green pastures of Dunloe Gap. The food was good, not great, & a bit repetitive. The Bar does not share the same spectacular view as the restaurant, is very small, but still nice.

From approaching the hotel, I was underwhelmed. It reminded me a bit of a typical motel. But once inside, it is quite lovely. It is popular for weddings & they had a wedding reception every day I was there -- which also meant that the outside deck was closed.

The rooms have varied views, from stunning to not-so-great. No A/C & we were there during a hot spell, so our room was pretty uncomfortable. They did provide us with a fan, which helped. The room was nice & of good size, the bed comfortable, the linens nice. We had a persistent problem with the toilet not flushing & even though they came & checked it, it remained very temperamental.

Paying my bill was a hassle. I had "signed" for drinks in the bar, even though the bartenders never gave me an actual slip to sign. They had simply asked for my room number. Not a good system. The charges were not right & it took some work to get it straightened out.

One last thing -- this hotel is not IN Killarney, nor is it walkable to Killarney. It is more what I would call a "destination" hotel. If you have a car, it is a great place to escape the tourism in Killarney & still be close to all the wonderful things the area has to offer.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

we travel a lot.. and being a mixed irish italian english family we have family around the world and we are often on the road .. either for family commitments or business.
Last father's day my lovely wife treated me with an great surprise. she booked at the Dunloe and we hit the road. It s only 2 hrs from us and it s always a pleasure to go back to Kerry
The hotel is amazing.. location-wise it s fab and the service and the facilites are simply grand.
Travelling with an infant is not always easy and I must say the place is fantastic for kids. the park the swimming pool, the horseback riding facilities, the dining area and the entire hotel are fantastic.
The renovated castle and the rivers are a great add on to an already great hotel.
We had two breakfasts and two dinners and food was excellent and I must say breakfasts were one of the best I had in my life.

The room, we had a fab room with a fab view of the gap and the mountain and the service was amazing.
My daughter, 20 months had the best cot we could expect from a hotel and the welcome at the reception was brilliant. The staff was great and always ready to help
We were charged 50 euros more for a mistake made by tthe staff when typing the cost on the card machine but after a few phone calls we got refunded , so happy days and happy ending for an amazing weekend in a fab hotel .
I have already recommended it to all out family and friends coming from abroad when touring Kerry!!
Slan agus beannacht / health and blessing
Stef

Room Tip: get the room in the very end of the hotel and the very end of the corridor.. fab view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Breathtaking views, superb amenities on site, staff exceptional, food and beverage top quality. Location perfect to start off on the Ring of Kerry - the on site children's playground was the best we have experienced. The room we had for 2 adults and 3 kids was huge - kids beds were in their own side room with their own bathroom. Adults bed massive and so comfortable. The grounds surrounding the hotel are beautiful. It's a 5 star experience without having to break the bank.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this with just a weeks notice and have to say staff were excellent in sorting the booking. We got a great deal for three nights B&B with one evening meal for two adults and one child aged 12.
Booking in after a long days travelling we were pleasantly surprised by the whole ambience of the whole place. From the carpark it was clear that the hotel was full but the first and most immediate feeling was of tranquilitity and peace.
The hotel is a sprawling complex that still has the ability to charm. Our room was spacious and clean. Having been traveling all day we were ready to eat and decided on the less formal garden restaurant. I can only say the food was stunning and the service matched. There is no point in trying to relive the meal course by course suffice to say it is worth looking at the menu on the hotel website. They truely delivered on the promise of fine dining.
The following morning was just what the doctor ordered. The breakfast buffet was extensive and replenished on a regular bases. Eggs/ omelettes were cooked to order. Tea/ coffee and toast delivered to the table quickly and even at the busiest time there was no more than a few minutes wait to be seated.
The pool and leisure complex were totally under-used. We had a pre breakfast swim each morning and found that there were at most 4 others sharing the 25m pool. Sauna and steam room were spotless and clearly well maintained. The inclusive horse riding was pure treat for us novices and the extremly friendly young ladies managed us with great diplomacy and care that made it an extremly pleasant experience.
The package also included entrance to Muckross house which was a pleasant day exploring the history of Killarney. Fishing was also available in the sprawling grounds which unfortunatley I didn't get a chance to avail off as our days were just too full.
Staff also arranged tickets for the Siamsa Tíre show in Tralee which filled another evening.
In summary, this was one of the most relaxing and at the same time activity filled breaks we have had in years, clearly made possible by the fantastic staff and hotel. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Use leisure centre early when least busy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MacGiollaBhrighde
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This place is awesome! Free horseback riding, huge swimming pool, castle on the grounds, fantastic views, decent breakfast, friendly staff, indoor tennis courts, fun playground, etc. We spent two nights here in July 2014 and were pleasantly surprised how relaxing and peaceful the Dunloe is. We didn't know what to expect when you book online, but the upgrade to this hotel in our vacation package was the best upgrade we made. Rooms was clean, modern, and had a wonderful balcony.

We were easily able to go into Killarney, Ring of Kerry, and Dingle Peninsula from here and relax at night. This would be a hotel we could come back to with our toddlers and teenagers- they would have a ton of fun, never get bored, and it's big enough where we wouldn't bother anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I attended the perfect wedding of Grace Moriarty! It was just as she described. The Dunloe Hotel is in a stunning location. The staff, the food and the service all combine to make this a very special place.
We later had dinner in another five star hotel in Killarney and there was no comparison.
This hotel is probably the best we have ever visited.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa K
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We just spent four days here and I have to say it was fantastic. We've been here several times over the years and have never been disappointed. Staff are always so professional, helpful and friendly. It helped that the weather was great - there really is nowhere like Killarney when the sun is shining. Everything is high quality: Food, facilities like the swimming pool, the gardens. They had a live traditional Irish music group in the lounge on Tuesday night.

Room Tip: Really spacious rooms on 5th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
The Europe Hotel & Resort
The Brehon
The Brehon
#8 of 38 in Killarney
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to The Dunloe? Share your experiences!