“Stay away from this one!”
Review of The Purple Heather

The Purple Heather
The Purple Heather
Ranked #3 of 5 Beaufort B&B and Inns
New Castle, Pennsylvania
“Stay away from this one!”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed at this bed and breakfast during a very cold 2 nights in Killarney, with an outside temperature of 30 - 40 degrees. They turned off their heat while we were there and just had a light blanket on the bed. We were freezing! The shower in our room was so tiny that if you dropped the soap, you had to step out of the shower to retrieve it. But who could even shower! When you got out of the shower it was 40 degrees in the house. The breakfast was awful and very spartan. STAY AWAY! It was the worst bed and breakfast we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank judybpiano

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
South Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 1 July 2009

If you find yourself wanting to travel to the Killarney region in Ireland, I have two pieces of advice for you: 1) Stay at The Purple Heather B&B and 2) Take advantage of the pony and trap ride through the Gap of Dunloe. We arrived late to The Purple Heather on a dark, rainy night. We got lost a bit and had to phone Tim Moriarty, the owner, for directions. Despite the late hour, he was extremely chipper and most helpful. Thanks to Tim's directions (and no thanks to our GPS), we made it. Upon arrival, we were immediately thrilled with our accomodations for the evening. Tim was a jolly fellow and promptly showed us to our room, asked us what time we'd like to eat in the morning, gave us the information we needed to get onto the free wi-fi and bade us good night. The room was not large by any means, but it was adequate. Clean and well decorated, with a most comfortable bed, it was just what we needed after a long day of driving from Galway City and much sight-seeing along the way. We had a great night's sleep and enjoyed a nice hot shower in the morning before heading to the sunroom for breakfast. I must say that this was my favorite part of our stay. Having arrived late the night before, we were unable to see our surroundings. The beautiful sunroom with it's panaramic views and ample natural light allowed us to take in the beauty of where we were and whet our appetite as to what we'd be doing in the area that day. We enjoyed a delicious Irish breakfast (Nora's brown bread was the best I'd had in all of Ireland) then spoke to Tim about possible things to do in the area. He suggested we drive a mere mile from his house and take a 'pony and trap' ride (horse and carriage) through the Gap of Dunloe. For 50 Euro, it seemed steep, but we did it. The views we enjoyed were breathtaking. And the weather was gorgeous, compared to the evening before. We couldn't have had a better stay. Thank you, Tim and Nora -- you helped us make wonderful memories we won't soon forget!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NatalieCrino
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Tim and Nora were gracious hosts. Tim was very helpful in planning our itinerary. We stayed at the B & B for two nights. The beds were the most comfortable of our entire stay in Ireland. Plus they had heated blankets. Bathrooms were nice and new with power showers and plenty of hot water. Breakfast was very good. Nice sitting area for guests also. Grounds were very pretty and close to Kate Kearneys Pub which is very popular and food was excellent. traditional Irish Music can be heard there. All in all a lovely place....

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sashi60
West Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2008

We spent two days at the Purple Heather and I wished we would have spent more time there.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was lovely. Tim and Nora our hosts were wonderful people.
The B&B was in the heart of the area of Ireland I love most of all.

• Liked — comfort and cleanliness and location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank irishfinn2
Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2008

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Purple Heather for 4 nights at the end of June. After a long drive from Dublin we were given a very warm welcome from Tim, the owner, which immediately made us feel right at home. We were extremely pleased with the rooms and especially the chance to unpack after a long flight and drive. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the full Irish breakfast in the mornings were excellent and a great way to start the day. Tim was very helpful in helping us plan our day trips. Highly recommend the 'boat trip' through the Gap of Dunloe and the Ring of Kerry drive. I was able to take some great photo's. The guinness at Beaufort Bar was a great way to end each day. Only downside was that 4 nights in kerry was not long enough. Overall we had a great stay at this B&B and it was a great and comfortable base to explore the area from. My wife is already planning a trip back Ireland and will be recommending the Purple Heather to all our friends back in Sydney.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank brad67
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 September 2005

Thankfully, I only spent one night there. When I arrived at 3:30 pm, the owner - Tim - asked what I wanted for breakfast the next day. What??? Oh well, I gave him my order. Room was damp, musty-smelling. No carpeting nor throw rugs on the floor. Walls scuffed and badly in need of paint. Obviously added on to the house, and in order to accommodate the plumbing the bathroom was a step up. So small I felt I was in an RV.

Advertised electric blankets, but never saw one. Bed lumpy and damp. Heat didn't work, and woke up in the middle of the night with wind blowing through cracks in the window. Radiator didn't work. Grabbed an extra blanket from the closet but still couldn't warm up.

The best thing I can say is that they stole their towels from some fine hotels -- Le Park Meridien and Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza.

When I went for breakfast, the owner's wife - Nora - asked what I wanted for breakfast. Obviously, she and Tim don't communicate. Some suspicious matter floating in the milk. (Shudder)

Couldn't wait to check out of this Bates Motel!

14 Thank RosieCaat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
Eviston House Hotel
#26 of 38 in Killarney
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 38 in Killarney

Been to The Purple Heather? Share your experiences!