“Truly an unforgettable and special experience.”

The Mayflower Grace
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Truly an unforgettable and special experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I'm still thinking about the amazing weekend I had with my mom at The Mayflower Inn. The room was beautiful and special touches like customized aroma therapy and pillows for your stay really showed attention to detail. The property was newly renovated and the spa was simply breaktakingly beautiful. This was the first time I went to a spa resort and didn't even need to get a treatment to occupy my time. The resort provides complimentary fitness classes including aqua aerobics and fencing lessons that was particularly a fun experience. They have an easily navigated hike on the property into the hillside and a neighboring town full of charm. Though What really put this experience over the top for me was the kindness, and generosity of the inn staff. They were so incredible...Always there to offer a fresh pot of French press coffee by the fire or a glass of champagne. They truly treated us like gold and it touched my heart and spirit. I have never written a hotel review before, but felt the need to give back to this place that has delivered so much joy to me this weekend. I will certainly be back before the end of the year. Thank you Chris and all the unbelievably kind and cheerful staff of the Mayflower Inn.
Love, "The Battiloros"

• Stayed April 2014
Ian_A_Grant, General Manager at The Mayflower Grace, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Anna Battz,

I thank you greatly for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm elated to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and departed with such wonderful memories. Anna, I'll be sure to share your comments with our team members, all of who work to exceed our guests expectations daily.

Warm Regards,
Ian A. Grant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at the Mayflower over a long weekend. The service tended to be extremely good. The room was nice. The room was in an older building so you have to adjust your expectations. The exercise facility in the main building was decent. The machines are fairly new. There is a good choice of aerobic machines. There weren't a lot of strength and resistance machines. The exercise machines in the Spa might be better.

We were not impressed with the food. Ours might be an isolated experience, but the pea soup had very little flavor, and my steak, ordered medium rare, was totally grey. The staff did a great job of trying to rectify the situation which is all you can ask in those kinds of situations.

It is a great place. We might return. I suspect there are some changes taking place due to the change of ownership. The main reason we might not return is that it is very expensive, and I am not sure it is worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ian_A_Grant, General Manager at The Mayflower Grace, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Maxsar911,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you appreciated your room and found the exercise facilities in the main building to be your liking. We do indeed have a wider selection of both cardio machines and strength /resistance trainers available in our beautiful spa, which is located about 5 minutes' walk through the gardens. We offer a number of fitness classes (including cardio, streching, yoga and pilates) which are complimentary for all guests of the hotel, and there is an indoor pool with steam room and sauna. With summer coming up, we will also have more outdoor activities available, including tennis, archery, kayaking and guided hikes. I am sorry that your dining experience was not to our usual high standards but we truly appreciate your comments, thus giving us the chance to improve. we do hope you decide to return as I feel there is much more for you to experience at The Mayflower Grace, and we will of course ensure your experience in our restaurant is flawless.

Kind Regards,
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband and I came to the Mayflower Grace in CT the day after we got married- a gift from my extended family. From the moment we arrived we were taken care of beyond what we could have even asked for! Our room was beyond fantastic and made it so we couldn't help but relax. We ate three meals at the Tavern (brunch, dinner and breakfast) and enjoyed fantastic food that we are still talking about. We also took advantage of both the in room massage as well at the spa building and treatments and enjoyed it all thoroughly. I don't think we've ever been so at ease and relaxed! Beyond the beautiful grounds and buildings, I really can't say enough about the staff. The housekeeping staff go above and beyond in their evening "turn down" service which made us feel like 5 star guests. The restaurant staff answered all of our questions and were happy to provide recommendations that we definitely enjoyed! The concierge staff went above and beyond- when they say they don't know the meaning of the word "no" they mean it. They made every part of our stay not only go without a hitch, but go PERFECTLY. After we had left, we stopped at the GW Tavern for a quick bite and were surprised when a Mayflower concierge staff walked in. It turns out that we had received mail that day and they knew where we were so he thought he would drive over and give that to us- they really go above and beyond!

My husband and I look forward to returning in the future!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Katie,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback on your stay at The Mayflower Grace and my heartfelt congratulations to you and your husband on getting married. We are always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us and leave with happy memories, particularly after such a special occasion. I will be sure to share your comments with our team members, all of whom I feel contributed in some way towards making your stay a success.

Best Wishes,
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Came to dinner at the Mayflower Grace with my fiance, to check out the property as a potential wedding venue. Was served the completely wrong drink and the server, Anna, had to look at the menu for food recommendations when asked. Also, overall slow and impersonal service. She also had dirty fingernails!! Beautiful place, but a very frustrating meal. I will not be returning and this is definitely not the type of service I would expect from such a highly ranked establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mary D
Dear Mary D,
I am so sorry to learn that your dining experience at the Mayflower Grace was not to the high standard we continuously strive for. I have brought your comments and concerns to the attention of all team members, so that we may take this opportunity to restore your faith in our offering.
Kind Regards,
Roxbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We are locals who hadn't been to the Mayflower for a few years because of the terrible food served by the previous owners. We were so excited to go and see what the new owners had done with renovations to both the menu and building. It was raining, and were hoping we would be greeted by someone to open the door for us (something that we were accustomed to from the original owners). Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Upon entering, we looked for someone to greet us, but that wasn't the case inside either; no one at the front desk (which was always awkwardly placed out of view from the front door. It's always nice to have someone in view upon entering an establishment who greets you with a smile and a hello). We drifted back toward the restaurant, where the maitre d' podium is. Again, no one in sight. We ducked around the corner to see if we could find someone to seat us, and had to inquire with the bartender who said he would "find someone" for us. We were eventually greeted about six or seven minutes after first entering the building, and were seated at a table in a room off of the bar area where we had drinks before going into the main dining room for dinner. We were all quite shocked to see that there is absolutely no sign of the cozy New England Inn anywhere in sight. The new decor is very modern, austere, and completely out of sync with the architecture of the building, and with what one expects to come to in Litchfield County. It's actually a shame that the Mayflower wasn't given a remodel befitting of a colonial inn. I can appreciate wanting to refresh and redecorate, but to completely strip a building of its character and charm, is very sad. The chairs are extremely uncomfortable, difficult to push in or out from the table, the exterior lighting fixtures on the walls in the lounge area are just dreadful, the lighting very bad (they rely on floor lamps with horrific fluorescent light bulbs in them to light the area because the recessed ceiling fixtures are poorly placed and there are not enough of them). There was no music coming from the ceiling speakers, making you feel like you were in a library and had to whisper. They really should have consulted with a designer who understands New England and why people flock to the Litchfield Hills -- to escape the city life, to relax in comfortable, friendly and cozy surroundings, to appreciate the steadfastness of New England charm, character and personality. The new decor in the Mayflower is passé in many respects, and is trying to make the place something it's not and will never be -- a "hip, cool joint". The Mayflower in it's heyday was much more than "hip" or "cool", it was an old friend who never forgot you. Unfortunately the new owners have opted to make it into a place that you want to forget. I do wish to say that the new chef does an excellent job, and truly seems to care about what comes out of his kitchen. This is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately not enough to want to go back to sit in a very sterile environment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank M N
Dear M N,
We truly value feedback, both positive and negative, and would like to thank you for taking the time to share this. Our chef will be delighted to receive your compliments, though I am extremely sorry that on this occasion you did not receive the warn 'Grace' welcome which we always aim to provide. With regards to the design, we do realize that it is difficult to please everyone at the same time. That said, we will certainly look into particular areas you mention which we believe can be addressed, in order to make the environment as comfortable as possible for all. Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts, and should you return to The Mayflower Grace, I would greatly appreciate if you would make yourself known to our team so that I may greet you personally.

Warm Regards,
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had not been to the Mayflower in sometime but had a native Connecticut relative visiting and since we were planning to be at a school event nearby the Mayflower on a Tuesday evening I thought this would be a perfect spot for us to have something to eat beforehand. After viewing the Mayflower Grace website I learned that they were under new ownership and management and understood that the dining room was open at 6:00 but the taproom was open “from midday.” We were due at our destination at 6:30 so dinner in the dining room was not an option but I wanted my North Carolinian guest to experience classic Connecticut so I called the Mayflower to inquire about light fare in the taproom. I explained our time constraints and the very courteous young woman I spoke with on the phone assured me that all would be fine for us to eat in the taproom early evening and she emailed me the taproom menu.

The Mayflower Grace is still picturesque and hopefully after a complete renovation and schooling of staff will be the grand lady of old. Upon our arrival at 5:30 there was no one at the front desk or in the taproom. Eventually a staff member who appeared to be some one in a managerial position greeted us but seemed confused and ill prepared for guests. He informed us that the kitchen was closed between 3:00 and 6:00 but he’d see what he could do and also did not seem to know there was a taproom menu. After an awkward first impression, I have to say the service was gracious and the food impeccable. The vestiges of the former Mayflower were there…threadbare carpet runners and blazing fireplaces but the renovated dining room furnishings are quite contemporary and those in the taproom are a blend of traditional and contemporary, which didn’t quite seem to fit with the historic building.

Perhaps the Mayflower Grace is still undergoing a transition and after time will have a five star staff and facility to go with their rating but currently they have a ways to go to achieve that status.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank VMK2014
TMFG_General_Manager, General Manager at The Mayflower Grace, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear VMK2014,

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience at The Mayflower Grace. It is always our priority to provide our guests with the highest standards of service however on this occasion through an unfortunate misunderstanding, it is clear that we fell short of the mark. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your dining experience with us.

We truly appreciate and value your comments and hope you choose to dine with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to do so.

Kind regards,
Roberto Pelliccia
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

My colleagues and I just returned from a meeting at The Mayflower Grace, where we have held numerous meetings over the past several years. No place "puts on a show" quite like The Mayflower--from its opulent yet comfortable accommodations, to its five-star cuisine prepared by new Master Chef Steven, to top-notch service from a dedicated, professional, and friendly staff that anticipates and caters to our every need. I was told when making arrangements for our most recent meeting that the inn was undergoing extensive renovations. My initial reaction was "Why mess with perfection?," but after seeing the renovations that are in progress, I know that this New England paradise is about to become even better!

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have fireplaces (gas), adding tremendously to the ambience of a winter night's...