“Victorian Home away from Home”
Review of House on the Hill

House on the Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterbury
House on the Hill
Ranked #1 of 2 Waterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2007

Waterbury, House on the Hill B&B
The place: House on the Hill is situated on a hill near the center of Waterbury on the corner of Woodlawn Terrace and Pine Street. Traffic on Pine Street can be lively at times but we have never felt it to be disturbing. Large and old trees on the property interspersed with tables, benches, and a beautiful garden surround the house. Thus, you feel like being in a green oasis set on a hill high above Waterbury where you want to sit down, relax and enjoy the view. If you feel like exploring: historical downtown and several shopping malls are close by.
The house is a beautiful Victorian home lovingly restored to its original charm.
The rooms are spacious and meticulously cleaned. The bathroom fixtures are somewhat historic, with the technical equipment not always state of the art.
Free in-room wireless Internet is an asset – but you have to bring your own computer if you want to access it.
The gourmet breakfast is homemade. Our personal favorite the cornmeal pancakes that come with sweet or hearty varieties of trimmings, never once the same, a special treat
We have always found Marianne, the owner, to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Her many special personal touches and tips have made this B&B our favorite home away from home in New England.
In the summer we love sitting on the porch watching the squirrels chasing one another up and down the trees, in the winter our favorite place is in the library near the fireplace.
And for the benefit of those of us who love flying, Marianne will always try her best to provide courtesy pickups and drop-offs at Waterbury-Oxford Airfield - some 10 miles away.
We make it a point to stay at House on the Hill when in the area and this fall we realized that we have been regular visitors for 20 years.
Christa and Manfred Orlowski, Cologne, Germany

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank FlyingGermans
Reviewed 24 September 2006

When I thought of The House on the Hill, I immediately thought of a beautiful house on beautiful manicured lawns with magestic views and lovely grounds. This house was in fact gorgeous on the inside but where it actually is sitting in fact is just a high driveway on a corner of a very , very busy street. So busy, that when I got there I paniced , since i did tell the owner of this bed & breakfast over the phone that i had been in need of a good night's rest since my husband & I had come for an escape from our 4 kids , one being 11 months old and hasnt slept since he is born. I would say every car that passed and there were many had music blasting out of them. My fear was that I would hear this all through the night, in which i was awoken at 3am by this. I did not want to stay, but the owner told me she would have to CHARGE me anyway ( she did already take my debit card number over the phone) , so i was indeed stuck. I chose a room initially with a balcony but i knew that this wasnt going to do because of the noise, so she showed us a room in the back of the house and when i sat on the bed she told me to get off if i didnt intend on staying. We chose this room and I kept the air condition and a fan on all night to drown out the noise.She also charged me more money for this room and told me I SHOULD have asked whether this was a quiet place. I was surprised she said that since she knew the reason i was coming. She said it was URBAN and loved to live there. I think as a good BED &BREAKFAST OWNER, she should have referred me somewhere else . I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple