“Best Kept Secret.....”

SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waterford
“Best Kept Secret.....”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Twenty three of us went there for my mother's 66th Birthday since we planned to also go to the Mohegan Sun Casino. We loved it! The right price and superior quality in service and amenities for what little we paid.

Although it was not GTL(gym, tan and laundry)....it sure was FPG (food, pool and gym) What fun the family had that weekend...from the 66 year old to the 5 year old!

Do not eat at Goldys...the food was not fresh and tasted as if it came from a discount store's freezer. You must....I mean must go to the Mystic Boathouse Restaurant. Great service....Great fresh Seafood! This place was refreshing!

We had a great time! It goes down in our memory book as the best family outing to date!

Can't beat that with a bat!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank deeleeny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Took son to visit Connecticut College. This is a good, basic hotel near the campus. Easy access from highway. Very clean, free buffet breakfast. No frills. No complaints.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel after visiting a dying Uncle in the area. I was distraught, and wanted a place to stay that had a pool and decent breakfast. I was greeted by a very friendly host who gave me a list of local restaurants and menus for delivery. I immediately changed into my swimsuit and headed for the pool. It was just me, and I fulfilled my desire to just swim and soak in the hot tub. They were both very clean, there were pool towels placed on the back of every chair, and the temperature of both the pool and hot tub was perfect. Just as I was leaving to head back to my room a family came in, so the timing was perfect. The hotel has free local calls so I could order in. The bathroom was adequate, shower had great pressure, and everything seemed clean. I don't understand why they put wallpaper in the bathroom with no fan, as I would think they are just asking for trouble.There is a TV in the sleeping area as well as the sitting area, so I could use the sitting area to eat and watch TV. Had I stayed more than one night, I would have used the kitchenette area and it would have worked quite nicely.
I liked that they had a dock for an IPOD. One curtain had a huge rip in it, which was unsightly but was aesthetic and I could overlook it. The bed was VERY comfortable, and the pillows were just the way I like them. It was quiet for a Friday night and I didn't have any problem with noise. (Room 309) Breakfast was your typical hotel-style continental, with mini-omelettes and sausage. (I didn't feel they looked appetizing enough to eat.) This was a little above my price range, but I wanted the pool and was willing to pay more to get it. Overall, a solid 4.

Room Tip: Third floor seemed very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kschwend
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I live in Oregon, and this hotel immediately became my "home away from home" when my daughter was attending Connecticut College. I loved everything about this hotel, but especially how friendly everyone was - especially managers Mary and John. On my second visit, they were already greeting me by name - still don't know how they managed to do that! Everyone who worked there always went out of their way to make sure I had the best possible stay. The rooms are lovely and very roomy and had everything I needed. I made use of the fitness room, pool and spa, all of which were great. The breakfast in the morning is the best "continental" breakfast I've found at any hotel, and the folks keeping it stocked with hot (and other) food were happy to bring out more of anything. There were usually delicious cookies (warm in the afternoon) available as well as coffee, tea, and even cups of fresh fruit and milk in the little refrigerator. The fridge in the room didn't have a freezer section, but the folks at the front desk were happy to keep my ice cream treats in their freezer - and even managed not to eat any. (-: I've stayed in LOTS of hotels over the years, and I just can't say enough about the wonderful feeling I have about this place - and no, I don't have any connection to Marriott! It's also super convenient (once I found my way around) to Conn College, downtown New London, Mystic, Groton, Crystal Mall, etc.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor on the back of the building is really nice - it's right on the lake!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed here from Nov 30 - Dec 2 on a visit to the Coast Guard Academy in New London. The location was perfect as it was only 5 minutes from the Academy.

Although I arrived at 2:30 am, I was warmly greeted by staff & checked in quickly. Throughout my stay, I found the staff to be pleasant and friendly.

The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. I did not experience any issues with noise. Never heard any cars in the parking lot, the neighbors or anyone in the hallway during my stay. My room number was 219 & was located halfway down the hall facing the front of the hotel. I was happily surprised to find a sterile wrapped packet of disposable plates & utensils in the cabinet below the sink area in the kitchenette. This came in handy when I attempted to re-heat & eat my take-out dessert from the local Chili's restaurant.

The included continental breakfast is difficult to take advantage of if you are not an early riser as it ends at 9:30 am. I finally caught it on my second morning. The preparation area was organized & clean. The food was fresh & looked appetizing. I enjoyed the make-it-yourself waffles, but my favorite item was the individually packaged fruit salad -- yum.

If I'm ever in the area again, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank luvingvacation
Bordentown, NJ
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I had made reservations for this hotel since we are a family of two adults and two teenagers and looking for a place to stay since we were in the area. My main goals were free breakfast, internet, and indoor pool. My expections were disappointed in a hotel such as a Marriott. We booked the jr suite with two queen beds and pull out sofa bed (which had 4 stains, rips and holes in it and no sheets for it) I would not allow anyone from my family to sleep on it. I was also disappointed in no bedspreads just white sheets with a piece of colorful fabric about 20" wide going across the bottom of bed. The bathroom needed to be upgraded for sure. The indoor pool was really clouly looking and the water was not clear. We have stayed at Embassy Suites when we travel and I thought that Marriott was on a high scale then Embassy Suites but I was wrong. Embassy Suites are top notch right down to a big, cooked to order breakfast for a price cheaper then Marriott in cities such as Boston, DC.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor near the pond
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy S
NY, NY
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted a mini getaway to Mystic, and due to financial contstraints, ended up staying here. While it was a bit further away from the Mystic area than I would have desired, it was still an easy trip to Mystic as well as Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun.
We had a clean but unfussy room. This is not, by any means, a luxury hotel. But the staff still took great care in their hotel.
The staff was very friendly, even sending us an e-mail a few days before, giving us a heads up on the weather as well as highlights of some family friendly activities. At the hotel itself, they had listed all the shows and events at the casinos, which was great, since the casino's website itself didn't even list the show we ended up seeing. When we asked the front desk clerk about a nearby restaurant, he was able to give us a personal reccomendation.
By no means should my rating make it seem like this is a top of the line hotel. But I have stayed in far shadier, dirtier hotels for more money than the SpringHill Suites cost. I have also dealt with far nastier staff and much "nicer" hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bmartin915
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic

Been to SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford? Share your experiences!