“Best place to stay for CGA”

SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Since our son entered the Coast Guard Academy (CGA) four years ago, we've made this our home away from home. It's convenient. The military discount is awesome. The recent renovations are a great upgrade. BUT the absolute best part of this hotel is the front desk staff. Everyone at Springhill is focused on making your stay a wonderful experience and making it personal. They make a good hotel into a wonderful, welcoming stay with friends. And while they clearly know those of us that are frequent repeat customers (we even got a Christmas card!), I've seen them treat every guest with that same level of hospitality and service. There is no other place we'll even consider as long as there is room at the inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jlanphere
WHGGuestService, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Mr. and Mrs. Lanphere,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am glad that our associates have made your visits over the last few years so enjoyable. We value your repeat business and your loyalty to our property, your message really means a lot to all of us. I’ll be sure to share this will all of the front desk staff that you have come to know so well!

Christopher Chiappa

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Nice clean and quiet hotel with interior doors. Check in was easy and very helpful. Beautifully decorated. A/C worked well and was quiet. Bathroom sink outside shower and toilet area. Bed and Bedding was very comfortable. Wall between bed and sofa enables flat screen TV watching less disruptive to the sleeper. Has refrig, micro, coffee maker, hair dryer, sink and a workstation table with free wifi. Hot breakfast with a generous selection of food. Large eating area with plenty of tables and chairs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel had very friendly and capable staff on the registration desk, the rooms were great, it was peaceful, and we loved going out back and standing amid the trees and looking at the water. It was great to have coffee, hot chocolate and tea available in the lobby, and the hotel did offer a complimentary breakfast although I didn't try it. My friend picked me up at the train station in New London, and we made this property our base for exploring the area, including Mystic. If I had it to do all over again, I would stay here rather than in Mystic as a base for area exploration. Although on a map it is right near the main highway, it is tucked away amid trees (get the directions before you go looking for it) and birdsongs rather than traffic are what I could hear.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a great hotel. The staff are warm and inviting, everyone from the front desk to the housekeepers. I loved the fact that this property bordered a pond in the back, and the hotel provided a trail to sit and relax near the pond. This newly renovated property feels fresh.

One minor complaint is the air freshener that is used, it smells musty, but that could just be my personal preference, as I didn't notice anyone else complaining.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel for a pond view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here one night for personal reasons, with my wife and 2 and 4 year old. The hotel is nice and generally clean. The carpets in the room i was in was looking a bit tired and the couch was a bit dusty, but all and all not bad. The room was decent size as well, but don't get fooled into thinking there is a full kitchen - there isn't, but that was my fault. It would have been nice to have a table and chair set up like they have at the residence inn. The pool was small-ish and we didn't use it.

John at the front desk was very helpful, from when i called to ask for early check-in, to help me get my parents room close to ours, to helping out with finding the sheets for the pull out couch. Its nice to see someone left in this world who takes customer service seriously!

Breakfast was better than average, with eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, and the usual assortment of cold food and muffins. better than what i was expecting.

Location is a bit difficult to get to - its on an access road to i95 so you have to come in from one direction and out from another. There is a chucky-cheese and chili's right there so that's nice, but not much else. There is a grocery store in the mall across 95, but its requires driving and a bit of navigation to get there and back.

FYI this hotel isn't really convenient to Mystic - its about 20 min away from the aquarium. That's not the reason we stayed here, but the hotel should really be called SpringHill Suites New London. I guess that doesn't sound as good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel late July/early August 2013 and really enjoyed the stay. The rooms are clean, the staff is very helpful and friendly, and the location is central and near many good restaurants. As many note, the hotel seems difficult to access from I-95 and you have to really study the local roads or rely heavily on GPS to find the best way to get there, and exit!

Although a loyal Marriott member this is my first time to a Springhill suites. It's about on par with the Fairfield, and the (free) breakfast is okay but not quite as good as a Residence Inn. One really can't complain too much about "free" food, however!

I would recommend this as a great place for families who make it the "base of operations".

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at a SpringHill Suites this summer with two young children (ages 3 and 7 months). The hotel is clean and accommodating to children. Free breakfast and pool. Close to Cross Sound Ferry and Mystic area attractions. Less expensive than the hotels actually in Mystic yet only 10 minutes away. We would stay here again as well as seek out other SpringHill Suites on future trips.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
5 mi away
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford? Share your experiences!