“clean, plenty of space, poor internet”

SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Rooms were clean and spacious. Booked a junior suite. Room was located near the laundry room ( 1 washer, 1 dryer ) but the noise from the laundry was not noticeable. The hotel has been renovated. The bathrooms have some of the original hardware, but it was clean and functional.

The internet access was abysmal. You have to pay $5 ( or so ) a day for 'high speed' access... but the business center ( 1 computer, 1 printer ) computer could not load the hotels main web page either so I don't know if the high speed option would have worked better or not. We had to go to another place to get wifi to plan our next nights stay.

The hotel web site also says: "Guest rooms: Complimentary Wireless, Wired" but wired internet did not work. An IP Address was assigned, but no dns or routing was setup.

If you don't care about the internet, this is a great place to stay. If you want to connect to the outside world... not so much.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello MyLinuxGuy – thank you for leaving a review for our hotel and sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. It was great to read that your stay was relatively great related to our accommodations. Having a clean and spacious hotel is a wonderful thing and we’re very thankful for our associates that keep it that way.

I’m disappointed that our Internet connectivity let you down during your stay. Judging by your tech-based username and the detailed information you’ve shared, connectivity was certainly a top priority for you when choosing a hotel. We’ve found that our tiered Internet usage plan helps us to balance the costs of supporting fast Internet service for business travelers that need that dedicated speed while offering a free, but slower connection for those that just need to check their email or find a restaurant. However, as you pointed out it seems there were some overall connectivity problems, so thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ve used your feedback and reached out to our Internet and network vendors to perform a service call to be sure our equipment is functioning property for our guests and correct any problems that turn up.

I do hope that when you’re back in the Southeastern Connecticut area that you will return and allow us the privilege to host you again. Until then, safe travels.

Chris Chiappa

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My mom and I arrived at this hotel and were professionally greeted by the friendly front desk staff. I had stayed here a couple of years ago and realized immediately that the lobby/breakfast area had been completely remodeled. We got our bags up to the room, which was spacious and roomy and decided to use the hotel's self service laundry, as we had been travelling for a few days prior to our arrival. I went down to the front desk to inquire about that and was told that the laundry soaps and softeners were courtesy of the hotel and the pricing for the washer and dryer and that they would exchange bills for quarters at the front desk. I got the change I needed and headed back upstairs to start the laundry. When I inserted the quarters into the washer, it didn't start, so I inserted another $1.50 and it started up. Now, not having enough quarters left for the drying cycle, I went back down to the front desk to get more quarters. I told them what happened and they said not to worry about getting more quarters, that the dryer would be courtesy of the hotel. When it was time to start the dryer, the hotel's maintenance employee came up and started it for me. He was always courteous and always had a smile.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The property seems either new or redone--the carpet, paint, furniture, etc. seemed very fresh. The SpringHill suites setup is great--you get a junior suite complete with mini fridge and microwave--which were very useful for leftovers from Saturday dinner which became Sunday lunch ; ) The desk staff were very friendly and helpful, in particular a fellow named John. The overall "vibe" of the place was very pleasant, and I'd recommend this hotel if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in the Mystic, CT area. It was right near a highway exit, which made coming and going very easy. Apparently this hotel is conveniently located to the casinos--there are hardcopy directions at the front desk for guests.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better if you are looking for a quieter location.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here to see my son at the sub base. Aside from the reliable quality that I've found in the Springhill Suites hotels, there was a wetland beautifully situated right behind the hotel. First time I walked behind the hotel I saw two Canadian Geese with a couple goslings walking around in the undergrowth. A raven was stalking the goslings from the branches...nature...you gotta love it. The hotel has set up a very quaint sitting area at the back of the hotel so you can sit and watch the birds although I don't think that was the intention.

I implore the guests and hotel managers to protect this little wetland. Treat this area with respect. There was some litter that I picked up. Please don't do that. Thank you.

Room Tip: Definitely try a room on an upper floor. People above me had some kids and all I heard was the thum...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This review is mostly to compliment Chris at the front desk for going above and beyond to make us feel cared for. We arrived at the hotel on 3/21/14 with our teenage son after visiting a near by college he is considering. We had several requests and Chris made sure all our needs were taken care of. The hotel also looks well kept, very clean and welcoming.
Thank you Chris for your outstanding service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

It was very nice of you to take the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on the level of service that we provide to our guests, and I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations. Taking excellent care of guests is our number one priority. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will come back to see us!

Christopher Chiappa

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here for one night to attend a concert at nearby Mohegan Sun. Received several emails prior to my arrival to confirm and ask me if I needed anything else. Very convenient location, close to Mystic, Mohegan Sun and the Coast Guard Academy. When I checked in, the very nice woman at the front desk helped me with directions and gave me great advice on where to park, etc. when we went to the concert. Fresh baked cookies were in the lobby, how nice! The room was large and decorated very nicely. The only thing that was missing was lotion from the toiletries, certainly not a big deal, but naturally the one thing I forgot. We were on the third floor, and although the hotel was completely booked, I really didn't hear any noise. There are some fast food restaurants nearby, a large grocery store, some shopping, etc. I would definitely stay here again if we return to the area. Rates were reasonable for a suite. We didn't have the complimentary breakfast since we treated ourselves to Krispy Kremes from Mohegan Sun :) nor did we use the pool, but it looked very nice. Overall, I was very happy with this hotel and Springhill Suites.

Room Tip: If you want a traditional suite setup with the sofa bed separate from the sleep area, make sure you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel was very clean from the lobby to the rooms. There were no marks or scuffs on the walls. The carpet was in decent shape through out. The beds were very very comfortable and the duvets were either new or freshly laundered. The room had a living room area with a kitchenette and desk and a very large couch There was a nice view of the lake from our room as well. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. I missed the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The only minor things I didn't like were the Styrofoam coffee cups and the thin towels. But Hey that would not keep me away from future visits. There are many restaurants nearby. I can highly recommend this hotel. It think it would be great for family traveling together. It would give a family elbow room while traveling.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the hotel to catch a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford? Share your experiences!