“Awful food--frozen is better”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Golden Palace Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 52 Restaurants in Watertown
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I have been going to the Golden Palace for over 20 yrs. But the last 2 yrs under new ownership has been terrible. Last year we ordered full dinners and pu pu platter and soup. It was tasteless and dry. This New Years Eve we gave you another shot and ordered 2 PuPu platters. It was for pick up and it was packed cold! The food was awful--dry ,cold and the egg rolls resembled spring rolls--terrible. Were they frozen from Costco? Probably not--Costco's were better. Not only that but you chged me for the small bag of nootles and sent no tea. Never again. No wonder there were no customers in your dinning room on New Years Eve!! The food you send me, was it prepared early morning or last week? NEVER Again..My money was badly spent-but wouldn't eat it again for free,

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Recently, family members suggested that we all go out for some good Chinese food. I was somewhat skeptical as I know that Chinese American cuisine is different than the Chinese food we find in other parts of the world. Golden Palace is located in a strip mall in Watertown and you have to hunt it down, as I saw limited exterior advertising or signs. The restaurant is nicely decorated with the typical Chinese decor and atmosphere. Both tables and booths are available, but the majority of business that I witnessed was their take-out service. Paper place mats with the Chinese calendar topped the tables and utensils were rolled up in a paper napkin. There was no shortage of complimentary fried noodles for dipping in either the sweet or spicy mustard sauces.

Golden Palace features an extensive menu that was comprised of a combination of mostly Chinese dishes, along with some Thai and Vietnamese specialities. We started with a round of cocktails, which were small in size, though reasonably priced. I had the Thai Steamed Dumplings served with a seasoned brown soy sauce. They were EXCELLENT! The dumplings were filled with a combination of chopped meats and garlic. I was pleased to also note that there was no oil/grease oozing out of the dumplings when cut into, as often is the case, in other Chinese restaurants I have been to. Another guest ordered the Wonton Soup that I too tasted, though I found the broth to be weak in flavor.

For my main entree, I enjoyed the Crystal Shrimp. The jumbo shrimp were lightly battered, flash fried, seasoned with salt and pepper and served over an Asian salad. These shrimp were huge and extremely tasty, especially after dipping into the previously mention seasoned soy sauce. I was not prepared for the large piece of red Chinese chili pepper I bit into that was used in the salad dressing. I almost called 911 to send the fire department to extinguish the fire in my mouth! Plain white rice was helpful in easing the pain, though I decide not to finish my salad.

Service was attentive and helpful in accommodating special requests. All portions were very generous and our waiter cheerfully packed up unfinished food to bring home. I will return to Golden Palace and I highly recommend that you give them a try.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Lately, the Saturday lunch adventure takes my two son's and I to try different restaurants and different foods. Today we chose Golden Palace. After getting on their homepage I was surprised to see Japanese style and,Thai style choices. We ordered Singapore Mai Fun, Thai Basil Chicken, and Sesame Chicken. We, all three were very satisfied with the taste, portions size, and price. Two thumbs up Golden Place, our new visit more often friend.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

And they have so much vegetrian food now. We're so happy. It is by far, our favorite Chinese restaurant. :)

1  Thank ICforYou
Reviewed 31 March 2012

What can you say about Chinese except you want it fresh and consistent. We've not been disappointed yet...