“How do I dislike you? Let me count the ways!”
Review of West Hartford Inn

West Hartford Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in West Hartford
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to festivities for a recent family wedding. Given a choice, I would not stay here again.

We were greeted with signs about the hotel's renovation, but had no idea we would be staying in a room that WAS in the throes of being renovated. Baseboards were non-existent, the rug was coming up, a towel rack was literally falling out of the wall, the air-conditioning system did not work except on 'high' and then not for very long (this would prove to be very bad), and the fan/overhead light system in the bathroom did not work at all. The blankets had holes in them.

The hotel was difficult to find, as the sign is small and nearly obscured by other business signs and entered via a tiny driveway. Furthermore, the exercise room is not locked and no towels are available to wipe down equipment. Rooms were very slow to be cleaned, so that ours didn't get cleaned at all, by the time we returned mid-afternoon.

All of that might have been overlooked except for the proximity of this hotel to the Shish Club. Not only did we have to walk through clouds of smoke from smokers outside the club in order to reach the door but we were awakened both nights of our stay by partiers exiting the club at 2 AM. These people were not just talking, they were yelling, fighting, and screaming and such noise went on for at least an hour. Forewarned after the first night, we tried to damp the noise the second night via the air-conditioning system but it turned itself off, even on the 'high' setting before 2:00 AM. Unfortunately there were no other rooms on the other side of the hotel.

We mentioned all this to the clerk who did not bother to discount anything but did mention that they never put people in a particular room (202 - not ours) due to the bass music club noise that penetrates through the walls. Why would they even ever USE that room is beyond me!

The only good thing about this hotel were the comfortable beds, the proximity to Town and Blueback Squares, and the free wireless.

Room Tip: Hmmmm. If you have to stay here, I would not choose a weekend. And ask for a room on non-club (not...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
West_Hartford_Inn, Manager at West Hartford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns about our hotel to our attention. Management understands that the partial upgrades had caused a bit of disorder in some of our rooms. We are doing our best to increase the attractiveness and functionality to better suit the needs of our guests. With recent staff changes, and completed upgrades to the 3rd and 4th floors, we have been able to do so in a timelier manner. We hope you will revisit our hotel, so you can see our commitment to providing a comfortable experience to all of our guests.

Respectfully yours,

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Comfortable, charming inn. Would go back in a second! Steven made our stay comfortable, as well as the desk attendant. We stayed in the suite, #207, I believe, and it was just wonderful. Spacious room with GE Profile appliances: microwave and toaster oven. There was also a coffee maker. The room was EXTRA clean, had a king size bed, nice linens, great furnishings. Good breakfast with cereals, milk, juices and Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. Very "homey" atmosphere. Great off-street parking. Can't complain.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before you book. They are more likely to give you a room that is nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the West Hartford Inn. The staff was friendly, the rooms were very comfortable and it was the perfect location for shopping in the area. I especially liked the breakfast in the morning, it made it easy to eat and go. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I was in West Hartford for a family event and stayed at the Inn. its location is very convenient. Inn is a clean place with lot's of freebies, including workout facilities, internet, HBO, breakfast, phone and covered parking garage. very recommended. very considering staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I was visiting the area so I decided to stay there.When I checked the staff was very friendly .when I got to my room it was cleansed that was a great relief.I had read some reviews which weren't so positive....I was a bit skeptical when I was booking the room but I decided to go ahead because it served my purpose.I was glad the room was clean.The breakfast next morning was decent.The front desk staff was very helpful they even printed some directions for me...overall I would recommend staying at The West Hartford Inn if u are visiting the area!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I was in W. Hartford for a family event and stayed here because it was closest to my brother's home. Room was simple (as was expected). Found electric shaver whiskers in basket along with complimentary soaps (I used my own). Fan in ceiling light sounded like it was ready to blow right out of the fixture. WHen I returned to room Saturday eve, the booming disco in the restaurant below was loud and disturbing as were the parking valet attendants below my window. But the coup de grace was the clump of long black hair I discovered when I was plumping up my pillows to try to sleep! Not a great stay but I made it to the morning and miraculously a hot shower. Never again!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from restaurant disco end of building!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hank F
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I could write a book about our stay at the West Hartford Inn. First of all, it was tricky to find because it is behind a restaurant/bar through a narrow driveway and shares the parking garage with them. As we waited to check my friend and I eyed each other in alarm, looking around the tiny lobby that looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks and had a garbage can next to the water cooler overflowing with used cups and napkins. I thought to myself, the desk clerk is within arm's reach and could keep it tidy with no effort at all. I whispered to my friend that we could leave but she said let's check out the room and then we can decide.

I had reserved the hotel's one suite, and I use both the word hotel and suite loosely. It was apparent that two rooms had simply been merged into one by breaking down the wall. One of the rooms had a big empty closet-type space that must have been a bathroom at one time. While the furnishings were ugly faux french provincial, the room actually wasn't too bad if you didn't mind the reclaimed dusty wreath on the wall or the curtains that couldn't be opened or closed and were hanging in parts off the rod. The pulldown shades behind the curtains didn't work properly. I had to keep one shade down by putting a water bottle over it. Our view was of the parking lot. There were five sad plastic hangers for the three closets. However the room did seem clean and the bathroom was well lit. I inspected the bed very closely for vermin. Seeing none, we decided to stay because the location was perfect for our needs. If this were my hotel, I could remake that "suite" into a showplace with $500 and a trip to Ikea.

I'm going to try to be fair and point out the things that were OK. The breakfast room the next morning was cheerful and well stocked with simple breakfast items. Close proximity to the West Hartford shopping area with its shops and restaurants was a plus. However, that afternoon while we were getting ready to leave for the event that brought us to Hartford in the first place, we heard horrific, gutteral shouts coming from the room across the hall. We ran to the door and peeked out the peephole. The sound was reminicient of The Exorcist's demon. It sounded like a man using explosive violent profanity that went on and on, to the point where people were looking out of their doors and calling the front desk. We found out later it was a person who was a permanent resident with Tourette Syndrome.Not knowing what was going on, we quickly snuck out of our room to the parking garage, noticing on the way out the garbage pail in the lobby was still overflowing.

That night, after our event, we were not able to enter the parking garage. The bar in front of the restaurant was pulsing with loud music and crowds of revellers milling about. The parking structure was full and we were directed by the desk clerk around the block to another entrance where I was luckily able to find one remaining spot. At least we couldn't hear the loud music in our room on the second floor.

We checked out on Sunday with a sigh of relief and noticed on our way out that the garbage pail in the lobby was finally empty.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Delamar West Hartford
Delamar West Hartford
#1 of 2 in West Hartford
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to West Hartford Inn? Share your experiences!