“Good but not great”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Eastham, Massachusetts
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Perhaps I was expecting too much after reading all the TripAdvisor reviews and seeing the #1 rating. Don't get me wrong, I had a very pleasant experience and good service, nice setting and atmosphere. But when I see a food menu that goes for pages and pages with lots and lots of items, then a beverage menu and wine list without any prices, I get a little suspicious. It is obviously a family run, home cooking type of place and wait staff couldn't have been nicer. And it is spacious enough so that the noise level is minimal and you could actually carry on a conversation with your guests. But I think what most people like about the food is that it is Peruvian (different from the same old, same old) and very good value for the price. The best dishes were beef based, sea food dishes very average, and I strongly dislike soggy french fries and mediocre rice. I did not try vegetarian, quinoa nor desserts. I will return again and try different things as I want to support small family run restaurants and food is above average, but #1? Has no one eaten at Grant's, Brico's, Treva, East-West Grille, Besito?

1 Thank CapeCodPaul

West Hartford
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We researched where to eat in Hartford, and Cora Cora Restaurant was top of the list. After driving by this restaurant many times, my wife and I decided to give it a try. When stepping into the restaurant, you can feel the richness of the Peruvian culture. The ambiance is nice, everything is pristine, and it's always a good sign when the bathrooms are clean! The service was excellent. Our server was very helpful in recommending his top favorite dishes and was also very passionate when explaining the background of the dishes. Overall, this restaurant was definitely a hidden gem for us. Don't make the same mistake of driving by without popping in for a wonderful meal.

1 Thank Tuanle89
Connecticut
“Easily five stars”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Two drinks, appetizers, entrees, two desserts all for $72. Very authentic meals. Food was excellent, restaurant is comfortable and spacious, rest rooms were clean, staff couldn't have been more attentive. Menu is enormous. We will be back often.

1 Thank JoshuaMConnecticut
NYC
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Authentic and tasty cuisine, served by knowledgeable and extremely friendly staff. We went with a party of 7 and though they'd misplaced our reservation, they accommodated us immediately without complaint. Not a dud among the many dishes ordered. Plentiful servings, so go easy on the appetizers. Some will not like the ex-McDonald's setting, but it works fine. You'll know the way to the restrooms if you've ever been to a McD's! Oh, most GPS will take you to the shopping center, and the restaurant itself is slightly off the shopping center footprint. Look around for where you would expect a fast-food restaurant to be, and you'll find Cora Cora.

1 Thank hoch_10
Farmington, Connecticut
“The TA reviews were accurate but there are some tips to remember.”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We followed much of the advice from TA and this is a wonderful restaurant. We will definitely return. Let me first talk about the positives. The place is well located and large with mostly Hispanic patrons presumably from South America. This added much to the ambiance. It was crowded but no one needed to wait for tables. The servers were efficient and friendly. The portions were large and most people, including us took home leftovers. I ordered a Cora Pink Sour that was on the menu without a price and it was wonderful. We shared a Cora Salad that was terrific but wondered why we were not served bread. Later when I inquired to the manager I was informed that we had to ask for bread since it did not come with the Cora Salad. The Salteado De Camaron came with 9 medium sized shrimp and a marvelous white wine sauce. I had requested to substitute the French fries for plantanos which the server agreed to do but later charged me $3.50 for the plantain side dish. The Pescado De Camaron dish came with 5 jumbo shrimp and a white fish. The sauce was very salty but the fish and shrimp were wonderful. My wife and I ordered decaf coffee that was quite good and we shared a Tiramisu that was outrageous. The $10 coupon from The Taste Book basically covered the tip. They were smart to offer this coupon since they have made a future customer of us.
Some tips to remember:
The drink cost $9.50 and should have stated so on the menu so ask the price before ordering.
Make certain that when you ask for a substitution that you will not be charged for a side dish. Finally you must ask for bread with your salad and don't expect it to be offered unless you do. Thank you reviewers of TA for encouraging us to go to this restaurant.

1 Thank Rohrshack