“AMAZINGLY, UNIQUELY WORLD CLASS”

Jimmies Pizza Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 171 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
chicago, il
“AMAZINGLY, UNIQUELY WORLD CLASS”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I am pleased and proud to write the very first TripAdvisor review for Jimmie's Pizza on Farmington Avenue in West Hartford. I have been coming to this special place since 1978 (an unbelievably long time). I've experienced a lot of pizza since then, but always come back to Jimmie's. It is not just the nostalgia talking: it is my absolute favorite pizza in the whole world.

Jimmie's serves a unique version of Greek pizza, cut in squares: a kind of pan version, but thinner, with a crisp and browned, very slightly yeasty crust that allows for little bleed-through. Edge pieces do not sag easily. The sauce is robust and generous, the cheese a complete layer, wonderfully gooey, cooked till truly golden. Toppings are ample and go where they belong—on top. My favorite combination is pepperoni, onions and peppers—the peppers pickled, in strips. An unusual item at Jimmie's is their version of a pepperoni grinder, served hot from the oven, with cheese and peppers, but with lettuce and tomato, oil and oregano instead of tomato sauce: a fresh and delightful combination I have experienced no where else.

There really was a Jimmie—always gracious, gentle and smiling. Although he gave up the place maybe a decade ago, his recipes remain, and his quality. I have actually run into him in the store from time to time.

The interior is clean and pleasant, but nothing special—it is the pizza that makes the place a must. Although I live far from Hartford, I actually have Jimmie's on speed dial; from reviews I've read on other sites, I am not the only one!

Thanks for a lifetime of great pizza, guys, and see you soon! Long live Jimmie's West Hartford pizza palace!

• Visited May 2014