“Wonderful stay at this hotel”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 days and had a great experience. The service and accommodations were excellent. The breakfast exceeded our expectations and the location was convenient for our needs. I highly recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Holly A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Nancy,

We strive to make every guest exeperience better than expected. I am very happy to see we achieved that goal during your recent stay with us. Thank you for your great feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hotel is convenient to the highway, restaurants, etc., but its proximity to the highway does make it "noisy". Definitely got the impression that the staff has heard this complaint before, and really does not care to hear about it any more. Also they do not recognize you as a Hilton Honors member.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not as pleasant as we would have liked. With our location to the highway sometimes these traffic noise is unavaoidable. We do provide earplugs for our guests. I apologize if the team here did not offer these to you during your stay. We truly do value all of our Hhonor's members and that is why I am very upset to hear that your status was not acknowledged as it should have been. We do hope you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is your standard Hampton Inn, which I've stayed in a number of times around the country on business. This time I was in New Haven for the weekend and needed a place relatively close and cheap (and more importantly, a Hilton property so I could get additional nights towards my next level of status). For these reasons, I chose the Hampton Inn West Haven.

It's about a 10 min drive into downtown New Haven - just a couple of exits down on i-95. You're probably better off taking back roads though, since I somehow wound up hitting traffic each time I drove from the hotel to New Haven (actually, it's not that surprising - i95 in Connecticut is the WORST, but that's a different story).

Rooms:

Spacious, clean. Mini fridge and Microwave (!) - can't remember the last time I had a Microwave in the room, but I was able to reheat my leftover Modern Apizza here at night.

The downside of the big room is that the HVAC unit is far from the bed, so you really have to crank it up past what you would normally use if you want to stay warm (I set it for 75 deg F the first night and I woke up with a frozen nose).

Service:

As a Hilton Gold member, you're allowed to get late checkout (if available). Most properties are usually pretty good at giving you an extra 2 hrs or so, especially if you're checking out on an off day like Sunday. However, I was only given an extra 1 hour, which wasn't really useful for my purposes.

I attempted to print something out at their business center. They had 2 computers, of which only 1 was "working" (I say "working" because although the computer was on, I was not able to log on to my gmail to get anything to print, so it was essentially useless).

Other

the showerhead was pretty wobbly (felt like it was going to come out of the wall)

my toilet was clogged when I got there...ugh.

breakfast included (as with all Hampton Inn properties) - waffle station, eggs, bacon, bread, juices, etc.

Texas roadhouse restaurant right across the street (can walk there without crossing the highway)

Overall:

Not the best choice, but adequate if you need to be near New Haven. I'd certainly consider staying again although it's not my first choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad your were happy with the minifridge and microwave in your room. I am sorry to hear of this issues you experienced in your room with the showerhead and toilet. Thank you for bringing those issues to our attention so we could address them. It's nice to see that you will stay with us again and this time we would love to be your first choice. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very convenient and clean easy to find off 95 with plenty of restaurants and convenience stores around. The pool was nice and breakfast was perfect. We were there for a baseball tournament and needed late check out and only 1 room was able to do that

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your repsonse regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, pool, and location. We do try our best to accomadate late checkouts as best as we can. My apologies if that was not an option for you during your stay, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Friendly, spotless, gorgeous pool area. One of the nicest Hamptons, I have encountered. Hotel is beside Texas Roadhouse, so there is no need to drive anywhere after a day on the road. Walmart is within walking distance. Staff are very concerned with how your stay is going.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear william,

It felt very rewarding reading your response regarding your recent stay with us. To see that we were one of the nicest Hamptons you have encountered tells us we are accomplishing our goal of providng our guests with a great experience. I will certainly pass along your wonderful comments to the team. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

A Great Place To Stay - What Service! They couldn't have been nicer. The best by far hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff and management was by far the best ever. I will definately stay here again in the future. We just couldn't get over how accomodating and pleasant everyone was to us.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Cookie,

Thank you so much for your kind words in your response regarding your recent stay. It really means alot to me and my team to see how much you enjoyed your experience. We really hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here for a meeting at Quinnipiac University, perfectly located. Easy 1 minute off Rt 95, and yet despite being so close we never heard the traffic, and we were on the highway side of the hotel! The hotel was totally sold out due to a couple of events including a hockey tournament in NH, but it was very quiet at night and there were many available tables for breakfast. The pool area was clean and not over crowded (although lots of little hockey players were there). The front desk staff were super friendly and helpful, and in the morning the manager was helpful with driving directions. I will definitely stay here again when I'm going to QU or Yale for presentations! Or just for fun with my family. I loved the fireplace in the lobby even though it was warn while we were there. I'd like to experience it in cold weather, so homey.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Holly A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. It was very nice to see that the team here took care of you and that you were comfortable throughout your stay. We really hope to see you again when you visit for business or just for fun. We will keep the fireplace nice and warm for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Haven
#3 of 12 in New Haven
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Hilton Garden Inn Milford
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven? Share your experiences!