“Great place to get treated like an animal.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
“Great place to get treated like an animal.”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Where to begin? The male receptionist treats you as if you checking in is a waste of his precious time that he could be spending in the back of the office watching a movie on his laptop with his feet up (as you will catch him doing EVERY TIME.) You won't hear a single please or thank you out of his mouth. Oh and god forbid you may need anything because then you'll realllllyyy pi$$ everyone off. We asked for 2 extra pillows seeing as the two provided were flat and won't even hold your head up. We were basically told to **** off. After asking four times a nasty maid banged on our door and literally threw a single pillow at my boyfriend and actually yelled at him saying that out of the whole god forsaken place they only have one extra pillow, not two. There was also two mosquito/termite hybrids the size of my fist on the wall. The shower also does not work at all...unless you're into ice cold showers. The room and bed itself were comfortable and clean but that is truley the only decent thing I can say about this place. If you're looking to file a lawsuit, here is a great place to make it happen. The hallway floors are so uneven and there's deep bumps and divets everywhere. The lobby floors are also always insanely wet and slippery. This place also attracts a less than desireable crowd as far as your neighbors go. Basically, if youre thinking of staying here...think again

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank displeased1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Boston
Reviewed 13 July 2012

If you're a drug dealer, prostitute or some other type of criminal, this hotel will definitely make you feel like home. The place is old, worn and tired. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the 70's. On top of it all, the receptionist had a terrible attitude - I asked for her to call me a cab and she refused telling me to call them myself from a cell phone. The place was very sketchy and I didn't feel safe at all.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Checky

Travellers are raving about these West Haven hotels

Southern California
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I would definately stay again. My husband and I stayed at Econo Lodge while visiting a family member at St. Raphael's Hospital in New Haven. Yes, there is plexiglass in the reception area which separates the attendant and the hotel guests - not sure why it was there but it doesn't look bullet proof. I grew up a couple of towns over and didn't deem the area to be particularly unsafe. We did not see or note anything there that was more exposed to danger than the Hampton Inn or Budget Inn on Saw Mill Road which are located just around the corner less than one minute away, visible from the 95 and more expensive. We were out most of the time and just needed a place to sleep & shower.

The room was surprisingly nice and clean with the singular exception of the carpet which had a kind of "grimey" or oily feel to it when you walked on it barefoot. We kept socks on till we got in the bed. The TV was adequate and wireless access was fine.

We were most concerned because of reports of bed bugs but we did not have any issues with that at all. Towels and sheets were thin but clean, it is an economy hotel and it was exactly what you would expect. There was an ironing board, iron, and a lighted dressing area with full length mirror. The bathroom has a hair dryer, soap, shampoo, and body lotion but no conditioner for hair. I am only 5'2" and the shower height was low for a taller guy like my husband at 5'11" but he managed. It had an adjustable massage spray showerhead - water was nice and hot. Plenty of t.p. and tissues.

We stayed for 4 nights of which the weekend nights definately had more "guest activity" including someone banging on our door late on a Saturday night - which we could determine from the conversation outside without opening the door - "oh, #$^T it's the wrong room". I only wished they put the party people on the lower level rather than over us. We noted a family with kids a couple of doors over from us and some obvious business travelers and everyone was very respectful. Definitely was not a seedy hotel.

We were able to take an exercise run each morning through a residential neighborhood located up a hill to the right of the parking lot exit - down to a another main road to the right and then a ways from there - all very safe.

The hotel has a basic continental breakfast 6-9 a.m. - juice, toast, muffins, cereal, a waffle thing but no protein (eggs). All in all - not a bad place in an area where there are not a lot of hotels to choose from to begin with but the others are over priced. I'd definately stay again.

Restaurants close by - we recommend Georgie's Diner on Elm St., West Haven - very close by - for typical diner foods and specialty Gluten Free and vegan dishes with excellent staff. Go out of lot to light and make a left go down a couple of lights and you'll see the diner. Texas Roadhouse very good steaks - min $19. per person

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend, and thought it's not too late to submit a review. The hotel itself is in a decent location, probably not the nicest part of the New Haven area, but as someone who did not drive, there was a convenient bus stop right outside the hotel, plus a Pizza Hut very close by, if I recall. Plus the continental breakfast was nice. However I was very taken aback, if not a bit shocked, to see the reception desk behind what appeared to be bulletproof glass (actually, whether it was bulletproof or not, not sure, but why on earth was it there??) I just remember being uncomfortable upon seeing that as I've never seen that before in a hotel, and I've been to several budget hotels, and it made me wonder why that was needed. The room itself wasn't that bad, though after seeing the protective glass, it didn't help that it was a room that opened to the outside, so definitely made sure the deadbolt/hotel lock was on at all times. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank missddc
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Disappointed. The service was awful, they advertised free HBO which they did not have. The light was falling out of the wall, and the heat/AC did whatever it wanted. We would freeze for an hour and be sweating the next...

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Daisygrl28
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 October 2011

You expect lower priced rooms from Econolodge and this site provides good value. The rooms are cleaner than usual, no musty smell, and the linen are plentiful. Wireless access and TV channels are adequate. Breakfast is just above minimal. I like the art deco design of the lobby and breakfast area. Despite the good value, I cannot recommend this hotel and would not stay here again. On check-in the clerk insisted on copying (Xeroxing) my driver’s license. I think this is an invasion of privacy and opens me to identity theft. I was tempted to leave immediately.

Room Tip: If you reserve on Choicehotels.com, you can get pretty good rAAA rate.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank markamcdowell
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stayed here for two nights. The room was okay. Simple, but looked clean. AC worked well and TV worked well. Having lived in this area for several years in the past, I can indicate that it is a pretty safe spot, right off the highway and easy to find. The breakfast is included which is nice, though it's pretty simple fare - cereal, bagels, waffles, pastries. The service was fine for the price. The big issue I had was bed bugs. Woke up the first morning with more than ten bites that flared up all day, even bites on my face which are still healing. It was enough to make the thought of sleeping there a second night horrific, and I'm not sure I slept at all because I was so disgusted by the thought of getting covered in more of the bites. I will not stay at this hotel again for this reason, which is too bad. I stayed here two years ago with no issues, but obviously things change.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven
Best Western Executive Hotel Of New Haven-West Haven
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!