“A Very Memorable Birthday Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn

Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Westbrook B&B and Inns
NYC
“A Very Memorable Birthday Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2008

I live in NYC and haven’t ever been away to someplace that wasn’t a major city but I thought it was time for a change, some quiet time, pampering, and relaxation in a stress-free environment. I bumped into Captain Stannard House (I’m not even sure how I landed there) and saw they had the perfect package for what I was looking for: All About Me!

Jim, Mary, and Helen were great to me and they are such sweethearts! They made my birthday so special and the only way I can express it is by saying that I always smile when I think on it. This was my first trip by myself and they made it exactly what I was looking for. I think they even supplied the weather I was looking for ;-).

Everything was perfect: my room was even in the color I like, cool soft blue. The house is great. I fully enjoyed going through the rooms and reading up on some history. They had a couple of pieces that I was in LOVE with like their coffee table in the “Puzzle Room” and the picture of a burgundy dress upstairs. I can truly go on and on but I will let you see for yourself.

Of course I bragged about my weekend the minute I returned to the NYC and of course I was already planning when I was going to return before I even left!

Thank you again Jim, Mary, and Helen! Love, Lorraine

• Liked — The entire house!
  • Disliked — Don't have any complaints.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
ct.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2008

Just spent the weekend- can't say enough nice things about the inn and the inn keepers. We had aQuilter's weekend and they set up the who;e dining room and made the whole in accessible. The breakfast's were outstanding and they provided a refrigerator for us to keep snacks in. Of course the best seafood restaurants were just down the road so the hardest thing about dinner was deciding whereto go. The bedrooms are spacious and very comfortable. The bathrooms are spotless. All in all I rate it a 10!!!

• Stayed February 2008
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

Let me preface this review with this: we are not world travelers. We're parents of four young children who wanted to get away from it all to celebrate our tenth anniversary. We live on the CT shoreline and therefore had many inns and bed and breakfasts to choose from, but settled on the Captain Stannard House because they were running a special in January for $99 a night. The website was very informative, so we called and booked a room.
When we arrived, we were met at the door (A gorgeous, interesting door that I forgot to ask about) by Helen, who is the inn keeper and responsible for making our stay incredibly relaxing and comfortable. We were greeted warmly, and Helen took the time to show us around, chat with us, and make sure we had everything we needed. As it turned out, being a Thursday in Feb, we were the only guests that night!
The room was very pretty and VERY clean (my husband is the type that checks... dirty rooms make him crazy). I've only stayed in one other type establishment, and the rooms are simple, but elegant. No hot tubs or four poster beds. But there were two dressers, nightstands, many lamps, a desk and a comfortable chair with a foot rest.
We ate dinner down the road about three miles (heading east on Route 1) at Saigon City Vietnamese and Thai food. Amazing.
I was feeling under the weather and I asked Helen for some hot water for tea. She made me a caraffe of hot water to take to the room so that I could have as much tea as I needed, but in the comfort of my room. It was small gestures like this that made our stay so relaxing.
Breakfast was gorgeous and very relaxed. Helen cooked and served us... she was there when we needed her, but didn't hover. We had our choices of orange juice or cranberry raspberry juice in champagne glasses (there were caraffes, so refills were forthcoming), coffee, tea, and water. The first course was steamed pears with a granola topping that gave a nice crunch to the softness of the fruit. On the side was a pumpkin bread that melted in our mouths. The second course was a cheese and tomato pie with homemade crust and a side of bacon. Again, those details! Helen put double the amount of bacon on my husband's plate (after all, he's a growing boy!)
She is a hostess that does her job so well that by the end of our VERY short stay (yes, we had to return home to our four munchkins), we felt like she was an old friend.
If the Captain Stannard House was that pleasant, warm and relaxing on a cold, rainy night in January, it must be simply glorious in June!

• Liked — Attention to detail
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Northeast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2008

We stayed at the Captain Stannard B&B on Saturday night 1/12/08, and it is truly an Inn of distinction. From the moment we walked through the main entrance and into the meticulously maintained guest sitting area (including a pool table, fireplace and bar), we knew this was the Inn for us. We stayed in the beautiful "Dency Post Stannard" room, which was a sun lit room (exactly what we wanted) with an interior full of gorgeous antiques. From the absolutely beautiful bed linens, the stencils on the wall, to the abundant antiques throughout the Inn, it was sheer luxury and enjoyment. Add to all of this the incredible hospitality shown to us by the Inn manager, Helen, who showered us with warmth, friendliness, fresh baked buttery cookies, hot mulled cider, and a breakfast that was just so elegant and extremely tasty, it was exactly what we wanted, a weekend and an B&B to remember! (Helen also provided us with great recommendations for activities in the area that included an excellent wine tasting tour and an excellent seafood dinner!) We'll be back for sure!

alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

Excellent stay. The house was lovely and the atmosphere was great. The b and b came equipped with an internet accessible computer and a pool table, as well as a reading and tv room. Breakfast was a real treat, with a specially made cheesebake. We would recommend it to anyone who would like to spend a lovely evening on the Connecticut shore.

• Liked — atmosphere and food.
  • Disliked — Nothing come to mind.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2007

We just returned from the Captain Stannard House and LOVED everything about it. Jim, Mary, and Helen were wonderful from the minute we arrived until the minute we left. The bed and breakfast is immaculately kept and everything they served was amazing. We will definitely be back!!

• Liked — Mary and Jim!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

The ambience is one of New England charm, the breakfasts show imagination and the owners are warm and cordial. They have thought of almost everything and they exhibit a genuine desire to make their guests comfortable.

When an adjacent room had occupants we could hear a murmur of indistinct voices but it was not really bothersome.

We would go back again and recommend that you sail withe Captian.

• Liked — Hominess
  • Disliked — Single ply toilet paper
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ann961999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook
Angels' Watch Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn? Share your experiences!