“Sunset Bar and Grill - Need More Training, etc.”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
ct
“Sunset Bar and Grill - Need More Training, etc.”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I have eaten on the outdoor patio multiple times since 1996 and last night was the worse. The waitress came right over but then we didn't see her for another 10 minutes. My husband ordered an appetizer and then 3 sides for his dinner but my dinner never came out. He was all done (his broccoli wasn't even warm) and I asked other people a couple of times if they could check on my lobster roll dinner and finally our waitress came out with it apologizing. I had ordered onion rings instead of french fries and got french fries instead. I mentioned this to the waitress but declined to have her bring it back figuring I'd have to wait another 1/2 hour before I saw my food again. I commented "Is this on the house" and she said she would check with the manager. They did end up not charging for my dinner but the lobster roll was not really very good, rather dry and chewy. Their service has never been that great outside but last night took the cake. They really need to spend more time training their help for the patio. Plus the bands take too many "long" brakes. Not sure when/if we'll return to give it another try.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank karen75Ct

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
southingotn
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I agree with the comment for the Sunset bar we ate there during our vacation the first week of June and had a few guests come to dine with us and the food, and service was terrible. when I checked out I advised the front desk of my experience and they didn't even comment or apologize.

As far as just opening for the season and the staff/kitchen not being ready that is the management and training problem! Nobody should not have to endure and bad meal and service when they are paying for a meal because the waiter/ waitress has not been trained properly especially at a facility like Water's Edge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sally c
New York
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have been going to Water's Edge resort for quite a few years and love it! We started going to the hotel and for the last 5 years have rented a condo and spent the week. It is a wonderful place to visit as you have the luxury of the spa and restaurants but you also have the beach with daily activities for the kids, every day all day. It's great they do the activities on the beach so you can see them and watch them while you relax.

The only growing problem we have seen is that there is no security on the property and several ways for people to get on the beach. At night when we first went there it was fine but more and more there are groups of teens and adults that go down to the beach with alcohol and other items. So you have to keep the kids in. I would say that this is the only problem that they need to addressed by the property owner to keep the kids safe.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank RacingPrincess
Avon, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I can't believe the "bad" reviews I've read on here! I was here on the weekend of June 16, 2012 to attend my friends wedding. Start to finish the staff was overly friendly, attentive and went out of their way to make sure everyone in the party had everything they needed. I'm definitely booking a weekend stay here soon with friends and family I was so impressed. As far as cost complaints...it's a beach resort and spa in Connecticut, if you cant afford it dont go and then complain...As a side note, I lost my license and credit card during my stay, the staff immediately helped search the room I had stayed in and when I mentioned I might have lost the items on the beach they accompanied me to the beach with a rake and we found my lost items. Thank you so much Waters Edge!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Josh822
, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Thank you so very much for your kind comments. We all work very hard to make each and every guests stay as enjoyable as yours. I'm so pleased our team was able to locate your lost items for you.

I'll be sharing your review at our team meeting next week and am certain everyone will be as proud as I am at your comments.

I hope we'll see you again soon!

All the best,

old saybrook, ct
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My brother and his family came in for the weekend and we were looking for a place to enjoy afternoon and then have dinner. This spot has spectacular views and grounds. Impressive but we ate at the Sunset Grill - what a disaster.

The fried calamari? Seriously, burnt breading so gunked up that you couldn't even tell it was a 'ring'. Chicken wings under cooked. My greek salad had a plate full of greens... 1 - yes one piece of feta, and the salad wasn't dressed. My shrimp scampi looked like a plate of mush. Broccoli not cooked, not even moist, rice ahh and the shrimp? TOUGH, overcooked, no seasoning in a pile of wet bread crumbs. My niece's johnny pastrami DRY on wet bread. I could go on and on and the young waitress - not even apologetic as she cleared the evidence. 8 full plates because no one ate anything. Insult when the bill arrives and we have gratuity of 18% already built in. I will not return here for sure. Disgusting meal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank bigplateplease
chrisConnecticut, Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am terribly sorry and embarrased by your experience at the Sunset Bar & Grill this past weekend. We've just opened for the season and obviously still have a lot of training to do and kinks to work out. I am reviewing your comments with our executive chef and his team in the Sunset Bar & Grill and will take whatever steps are necessary to correct these issues.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may discuss this further and find a resolution for this unacceptable experience.

Very Truly Yours,

Christopher Capiris, Food & Beverage Director
860-399-5901, ext. 2039
Westbrook
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

We checked in and had lunch right off the bat, great start to our stay. At night, great later night bands. They are also well known for their Sunday Brumch. They have a nice work out room, indoor and outdoor pool and the ocean is right there with lots of beach room to hang out. It is a nice special place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad your enjoyed your stay and the entertainment. We have live bands in the Bistro every Friday and Saturday. Outside, at the Sunset Bar & Grill, we have live bands Wednesday through Sunday in season.

Hope to see you again soon,

Beijing, China
Reviewed 11 June 2012

OK the location of this hotel is great and it is beautiful but this is certainly the snob hotel. I came here for a wedding and arriving in jeans and a t-shirt I felt looked down upon by the guests and the staff. It has that feeling of being a rich man's hotel and if you were not rich you are not welcome and this was carried on by the 400+ dollars a night price tag!

Also my friend's and I were having dinner and the waiter at the hotel was very rude to us. He had a sarcastic attitude and was really rude. I mean we were there with people in the wedding party and he was treating us with a lot of disrespect. Maybe he was having a bad day, but nevertheless it was unacceptable!

Another disgusting thing is that some of the people in the party saw a girl and guy from their room ... having "fun" in the hot tub. Granted I am sure the emissions would be killed due to heat but still this is disgusting.

Finally the hotel does not have a free breakfast and drinks at the hotel bar are around 10 dollars for a mixed drink. Which to me also lowers the hotel's score.

If you want a snobby feel and a nice location go here. But I am sure there are many other places that would be more accommodating than this place!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank PresPJ
Dear Guest,

I am shocked and saddened to read of your stay with us. Water's Edge prides itself on offering a casual and family-friendly environment. We work to make all of our guests feel welcome, appreciated and special, whether dressed in a tuxedo or a bathing suit. I am especially disappointed with your experience in our restaurant. The Restaurant at Water's Edge has been voted "Best Brunch" by Connecticut Magazine, "Excellent" by the New York Times and "Excellent Service" with "Exceptional Food" by Zagat. I am hoping you will contact me to discuss the issues you experience further.

Very Truly Yours,

860-399-5901 ext. 2031
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!