“Waters Edge fails for business travelers”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Lynnfiel
“Waters Edge fails for business travelers”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed at this resort for years while conducting business in the area and I am seeing this beautiful facility fall to lack of maintenance and penny pinching. Everything from the toiletries provided to the television cable service is getting cheap. I could not get any decent wireless internet service to conduct my business. I asked the front desk for accomodation, but received no accomodation or satisfaction. I am very disappointed in the direction this facility is going. The facility is obviously depending upon its exterior beauty and past reputation to make up what it lacks in actual customer services, cleanliness and quality.

Room Tip: Better deals during week. They should give coupons for free breakfast in the dining room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Gary S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 August 2013

After staying at the Waquessett Resort in Cape Cod we had similar expectations towards Water's Edge. Even though not as expensive as Waquessett, the room we had booked - a superior room/suite to be exact - still costed over $ 325 per night. Were we disappointed when we got a room with no balcony - even though the picture on the website that we booked through clearly showed large doors leading to a balcony - and also the room was situated overlooking a parking lot and trash container station - which resulted in large trucks collecting the trash during the morning making an extremely lot of noise, and bottles and other waste being disposed of in the containers during the evening. Also here, the picture advertised on the website that we booked through was deceiving as it showed waterfront rooms. The walls of our room were as thin as paper and we had a family with a baby next to us and that baby started crying early in the morning and just didn't stop until that family left the room. Despite we were two, our room contained two queen beds instead of one king. This was the first time in our now two weeks of holiday were we did not get a king bed. So all in all, we were far from impressed by our room.
From the moment we checked in and during several other encounters with the staff, we did not feel treated as guests and we had the impression the staff wasn't particularly in the business of making their customers feel, well, customers. When we arrived and reported at reception, the welcome was just a simple 'Names?' and there were multiple occasions when the staff just didn't even bother to demonstrate simple signs of a customer facing attitude. A seperate review that we made about our one - and only - experience at the resort's restaurant reveals some other examples of the lacking service attitude.
In terms of facilities, the wifi even though complimentary turned out very unreliable and unstable, and outside the building there was no access at all.
On a positive note: the venue itself is very nice, well maintained and has a lot of charme. There is some good entertainment at night and both the pool and beach areas have plenty of comfortable sunchairs, and sunscreens As well. Parking is also complimentary and there was plenty of space.
All in all, would we visit this area again, we would most probably try another resort and not go back to Water's Edge.

3 Thank DeKokkies
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We celebrated our anniversary in early August with a stay at Waters Edge Resort and Spa. I would recommend staying at this resort, but with a few caveats. Some rooms have entrances adjacent to sitting areas and major stairwells; we were able to exchange the room we were given at check in with a room for one where the view overlooked the roof top of the resort; rather disappointing, with no other options offered us. Room furnishings were clean, but tired.

Being a resort, one could expect a degree of polish and finesse. Our children surprised us with a bottle of champagne and a fruit plate on our anniversary. It was delivered that evening as requested by them. However, the presentation was not what one would expect of a “resort”; it arrived in our room in a wax coated bucket - with a dinner menu, torn in half, folded and written on the back side “To Room ___, one bottle of Moet Imperial, one Fruit Plate”, with no mention of who it was from, or why it was delivered. The fruit plate was pitiful. It looked to be leftover chopped melon, grapes and one half of a strawberry from breakfast or lunch. Really?

On the plus side, the water facilities were ample for the size of the resort: lovely beach, well equipped with chairs and umbrellas, the same for the pool. Water sport activities were available for additional fees. The outdoor eateries offered many options: of particular note at the larger outdoor restaurant were the fish tacos and burgers. Additionally, there are other restaurant options nearby.

I did not have time to fill out the paper critique for the resort and had planned to use the online survey for my comments; however, after two requests for the link, none was forwarded. Apparently, the resort is not that interested in comments from their guests.

1 Thank Jackmgirl
RI
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We were impressed with the property as we drove in...beautiful landscaping, but that all changed as we walked to our room. We stayed in the main building which is old, not well kept, and is in desperate need of updating. The room was just as bad...bathroom was ok, but the beds, bedding, wallpaper and carpet need to be replaced. And the balcony should be cleaned and painted as well. Room service on the first night took 75 minutes to arrive and the waiter dropped the tray. He was much too young and not strong enough to be carrying it. The spa refused to reschedule an appointment for us even though we were on the property for 4 days. There were way too many events taking place at the same time, with not enough experienced staff to handle the crowds. The main exit to the beach is through the formal dining room, which was awkward. The majority of the staff were very young and extremely inexperienced and there was a clear lack of management and leadership. It appears as if they are not concerned with repeat customers because they don't go out of their way to be accommodating to their guests. We would not consider staying here again nor would we recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Melissa181818
Framingham, MA
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We headed here for a quick weekend getaway for one night with our two boys. We were thrilled with an upgrade to a timeshare unit where we could see the ocean from our unit. We headed to the beach right away which was great for the kids and they had posted activities. The activities were just ok since they seemed to be run by young kids and my children didn't care for how they were run. We went to dinner in the casual outdoor restaurant that served a great lobster roll but the live band was a bit too loud. We headed back to the unit where we tried to use the WIFI, I called the front desk either to just ringing with no answer or being answered and being put on hold. They should just include the information in the room. At night a unit upstairs started smoking on the balcony and when I called the front desk to ask if that was allowed they said no. They said to call back and let them know which unit it was and they would charge them a penalty. All I really wanted was the people to stop. Overall, it was an ok place but for the price I expected better. The unit was pretty outdated and other people staying there just seemed really entitled, like the guy who decided to sit on our balcony and when I asked what he was doing he said we had a better view and he huffed off when I asked him to leave, I probably won't rush back here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank senhtra
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked 2 nights at the Water's Edge. The parking was tricky throughout our stay. After checking into our 339.00 room which overlooked a dirty roof and parking lot we figured we would not be in the room all that much so we would deal with it. The furniture was scratchy and cheap. We decided to change and get something to eat and then go to the outdoor pool. The bathroom had a relatively nice vanity area but the rest of the room left a lot to be desired. The tub was cheap and had a clingy plastic curtain as well as non slip stickers on the base which were all peeling up. The toilet was by far the worst part. It had a gas station toilet seat and did not flush properly. I told my friends as soon as I saw it not to push down very hard as it was not filling correctly. We called maintenance and they sent a very nice man but he did not fix the problem. He said they have a recycled water system but unfortunately that had nothing to do with the problem. By the next day it did not flush at all!

We then went down to the sunset bar and grill to get lunch. There are a lot of stairs in this property! We were seated a a dirty table which has seen better days. The white plastic chairs were missing some of the slats and some did not look sturdy. The white metal arms were missing all of the paint. This bar area was run by teenagers and early 20 somethings. The food was relatively overpriced and drinks were too. 9.00 for a cheap plastic cup piña colada was ridiculous. The server could not really answer any questions about the menu. One of my friends asked about wifi in the bar area and she said she did not know how to sign in. The answer was you could not.
When I asked where the restroom was I was told I would have to either walk up three flights of stairs or one flight and then around across a patio, up a ramp and into the hotel and then across a hall area. Yikes.

We then went to the outdoor pool. It was loaded with screaming kids. This place was loaded with children of all ages. We sat there for an hour or so and then we went back to the room to get ready to go out.

The next day we decided to go to the beach on the property after all isn't that why we spent all that money on a non-luxury room? After walking and walking down the large hill we reached our destination. I scoped out for chairs. I found some that looked as though they were available and when I put my towel down a woman dame stomping over to me and said she just had the chairs reserved for her. Nice feeling. I went up to a little tent area where there was a nice staff person. He told me he would help me get chairs. The beach is rocky and then muddy. There are no waves and in order to get to water beyond your knees get ready to walk out 200 feet.

We made a reservation for 8:30 in the dining room. The manager said he would do what he could for us. I thought that was what a reservation was fir. We finally sat and had a costly but good dinner.

The next morning we again made a reservation for the acclaimed brunch. It was 33.00. The food was good but not worth that price.

We checked out and our final bill was 780.00 for two nights. The tax was over 50.00 per day. Overall I would say this place can't hold a candle to other luxury hotels I have stayed at. I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone at any price.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank MassachusettsLJT
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Up Sides: Staff were friendly and helpful. We went for one night and had reservations for dinner in the restaurant. It was more casual than I thought which was actually nice. Great views as we were seated right next to the windows overlooking the Sound. Very good meal with good service. A little over $100 for the two of us with two drinks each so not exactly cheap, but worth it.

Down sides: The room was average. There was noticeable mold on the tile in the tub/shower. For $229/night not great. My biggest complaint of all is that the fitness equipment in the work-out room was ridiculously old and rickety. There were two bikes where the plastic base was broken and the gears slipped. The woman next to me sat on a bike with no cover on the seat and was good spirited but wasn't kidding when she said she could only sit on it for 20 minutes. There were no towels - so the kind of confused lady in the gift shop said she wasn't sure why they hadn't had towels in a few days and gave me a beach towel to use. There were no high end things like headphones or bottles of water (which is ok and I know it's spoiled but you're paying a lot of money to stay at this joint!). Anyway . . .Ok place but not for the amount that it costs. They get away with the cost because it is in a BEAUTIFUL location.

1 Thank Anne M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Pier Blue Guesthouse
Pier Blue Guesthouse
#3 of 7 in Old Saybrook

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!