“Great place for some sun & sand”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Feels like a mini-resort very close to home. The grounds are so pretty and everything right there on premises ... pool, restaurant, beach, fitness center, even shops. Excellent location. Local restaurants were wonderful. Although not on the ocean, but rather the bay, it is an ideal spot for families or couples looking for a few days of relaxation in the sun. My only suggestion to the management would be, although the service was good and all employees attempted to please, those who were present seemed overworked and undertrained... but they earnestly tried and did a decent job. Our suite was immaculate and comfortable; the common areas needed better housekeeping.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria F

Reviewed 15 October 2013

For my birthday we went for a drive along the shoreline after attending a classic & antique car show at Saybrook Point. We stopped here for lunch and were able to get the last seating at 2:30. Our meals were superb! Pedro our server assisted me when ordering my entree which was a home run. Another server Michael with a great sense of humor helped me with an internet connection. We were not rushed even though the kitchen closes at 3. Will definitely return and may order the exact same meal. Stunning ocean views in an elegant setting.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Water's Edge for our anniversary for 10 years. This year we decided to take the kids, who were 2 & 3. The staff was very accommodating, clearly understanding the needs of parents wrangling toddlers. The kids loved the indoor pool, outdoor pool, and beach. While my husband was enjoying a hot rock massage in the spa, the kids and I headed off to the beach. When the staff saw me juggling two small children, beach bag, towels, cooler, and toys, they immediately helped us find a spot on the beach and set up an umbrella and chairs for us. Swim diapers are allowed in the pools for babies. The food is consistent and the drinks are great. The kids especially enjoyed the smoothies and the strawberry shortcake. We have visited in the summer as well as the winter. In winter, guests can still enjoy the spa and indoor pool. My only complaint is that our food order was wrong just about every day at the outside restaurant. They always corrected order and apologized. No complaints about the spa, however. The staff is friendly and professional, the atmosphere is soothing, and the treatments leave you feeling completely relaxed. Overall, a great treat for anyone looking to be pampered ocean-side.

Room Tip: If staying in the main building, rooms on the top floor are the quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed one 1 night. They put me in a room over the outside terrace. I had my 3 yr old grand daughter w me. She didn't sleep all night. I asked if we could stay another hour at ck out because she was still asleep. They told me no. At 6 pm we had dinner and walked around. My GD saw a glass case with cupcakes in it. I asked the server if we could come back an hour later to get one for her. The said they are opened all night.
1 hour later it was closed, but I was told to go to the bar they had the key. 45 mins later they couldn't find the key. I had to get in my car and drive off site to get the baby a donut because they promised they would be opened. They just don't cater to small children. Better off staying in the next town, it's only a 10 min ride w better hotels.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MineinUSA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you're looking for a family friendly resort with a beach and a good New England location, this is the place for you. If, however, you're looking for a high-end resort with excellent service and amenities, and a comfortable, peaceful spot on that beach, stay away. The location near outlet malls is great and the daily breakfast buffet is excellent. But the beach is very crowded and noisy and finding a quiet spot was a chore every day. Also, the beach concession ran out of umbrellas by 11:00 a.m. In addition, there were no chairs or tissues in our room, we had to ask for soap several times, and many of the college kid staff members were obviously waiting for the summer to pass (though some were very good). The property itself is large and very nice and there are good restaurants in nearby towns. Still, the negatives outweigh the positives and we won't return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joel G
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I'd like to start this review by saying that Water's Edge is a lovely property overlooking Long Island Sound. We were there for one night, October 12, and enjoyed ourselves very much. We have a very lice, large room with a sitting area and balcony in their Fenwick Library building, on the hill with a nice ocean view. They have all the makings for a 5+ star resort -beautiful grounds, a nice beach area, several pools, and a spa.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a young lady at the front desk who attempted to check us in. We gave here our name, but when she went to look it up she couldn't find it and told us quickly that we had no reservation, as if we were trying to pull something over on her. I did not have my confirmation number, but gave here all the details of the reservation including my first and last name- she had nothing. When I started to get noticeably irritated another woman announce from the other end of the desk that she thought she had it and that it looked like it had been spelled wrong in the reservation -which it was.. Thank goodness she was there or this other girl would have sent us packing. There was no apology, just some very poorly announced directions to our room - we had to ask the bellman to point us in the right direction. The building was just a short walk from the main build. A nice 2 story building - but we were greeted by dirty dishes on the floor in the foyer as soon as we walked into the building.

After we checked-into or well appointed suite we took a walk around the grounds and decided to have a cocktail on the patio overlooking the water.. We had a seat and waited about 10 minutes for the waiter to notice us as he walked by several times. Since we were short on time, we headed inside to the lounge and ordered our drinks. The bartender was very nice and made a wonderful martini, but to our surprise, she was the only bartender on duty on a Saturday afternoon. With 3 weddings taking place on the grounds the lounge was very busy with folks meeting up before the weddings. We asked a couple times for some bar snacks as we hadn't eaten all day, but the bartender was under a little stress while taking care of all the customers and we never got them. What bothered me was that there were 2 others behind the bar sipping cokes and telling people that they were not the bartender and couldn't help them.

We returned to the bar later that night and enjoyed some great live music. There were a couple bartenders on duty this time and the place was packed. We met a very nice couple who visit Water's Edge all the time, Julie and John, and spent an hour or so chatting with them.(wish we got their contact info we'd love to meet them there again sometime). We returned to our room around 11 or so and found the same dirty dishes in the foyer.

We were surprised at how quiet the property was in the morning, even with the screen door open all night we were able to sleep until 9:30. The bed was very comfortable! -While we enjoyed our coffee on the deck overlooking the ocean, I noticed that some of the railing had been replaced but not painted, as well as a few missing shingles. That's just a little detail that shouldn't be ignored at the rates being charged.

We tried to get a late checkout so we could go back to the room after brunch, but that request was denied.We did go to brunch which was very nice. They had a full assortment of breakfast and dinner items on the buffet. We enjoyed everything we tried. The staff, however, seemed to be a bit rough around the edges and not well experiences. Our waitress seemed angry, the chef creating what looked like crepes was eating behind his station, and the gentleman carving the beef clearly had never done any sort of carving in his life, I feared for his safety with the knives! I also noticed that every glass door was streaked and dirty, a disappointment given such a nice view.

After brunch we took a walk around the grounds and got to view part of a wedding that was taking place...what a beautiful venue for a wedding.

All in all we did enjoy ourselves and look forward to finding another deal at Water's Edge again in the future, I just hope the property manager or GM reads this review and takes some time to pay close attention to the little details - they can make a BIG difference to a guest.

Room Tip: My guess is that all the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onlinequeen
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We hosted our daughter's wedding at this venue in late September. It was perfect. Forgetting that the weather was ideal for her outside ceremony and cocktail hour (which we had no control) the ambience is stunning, the service was excellent, the staff that helped us plan the wedding was professional, organized and extremely helpful. We also hosted a brunch the day after, and that too, was terrific. The food is wonderful and the feedback from our guests was all very positive. They thought it was one of the most beautiful weddings they have ever attended.

I would strongly recommend this hotel for not only events, but just a place to dine, stay over and enjoy New England at its best.

Room Tip: All of the rooms I saw were beautifully appointed. They even supplied special towels for the beach...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#4 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Westbrook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!