I'm giving this review a 3 based on all of my experiences there, but in reality my most recent experience was closer to a 1. I have never stayed at the hotel and my post is only about the restaurant.
My family lives in the area and we often go to the restaurant to celebrate an event or for a holiday meal. In fact, we had been to the restaurant with a large group just 3 weeks before on a quiet night and the service was friendly enough, the food was good, and the drinks were fantastic. After such a good time there a few weeks earlier and very recent family tragedy, we wanted to skip the stress of the holiday and have our meal out at the Water's Edge.
We had made a reservation days in advance and were asked when booking if everyone in our party could handle a staircase. No issues, we are familiar with the dining room and its huge staircase, so we were led to believe we would be seated in the formal dining area.
We arrived on time for our reservation, hungry and ready for the buffet. We were standing in front of the hostess's podium awkwardly because the hostess, Racquelle, did NOT greet us at first and instead was complaining about the busy day to her nearby coworker -- "is it over?" When we finally got her attention, she told us we would have to wait 20-25 minutes for our table. Many others were waiting in the lobby, so we chose to sit at the bar and wait. We were understanding of the initial wait because of the holiday, and we were pleased with the lady bartender (the one with all the tattoos) who was friendly, professional, and made good cocktails. After about 45 minutes of waiting, we started to get confused and worried as everyone else who had been waiting at the bar after us had already been seated and also we were confused by the amount of empty tables at the restaurant. This became very stressful for my already fragile family. We checked in with Racquelle and when she finally decided to give us her attention she told us our table was being prepared. Finally, a half hour later, an hour and fifteen minutes after our reservation was scheduled for, we were seated in the bar area!? And when we finally got to the buffet, it was so packed it just gave us even more anxiety. The food was ok, our server was frazzled, and the desserts were severely lacking. No pumpkin/apple pie? Is this Thanksgiving?
All in all, extremely disappointing. We were expecting a stress-free meal and instead were treated rudely and got even more anxiety. Do not go on a big holiday -- If I could do it again, I would head elsewhere -- perhaps Salt at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa close by where the workers aren't complaining in your face.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waters Edge Resort and Spa offers elegant accommodations, superb dining and a waterfront location, making us the premier choice in Westbrook CT hotels. Ideally situated for business and leisure travelers, families, groups and couples, Waters Edge Resort offers guests a historic experience in a breathtaking setting for the most unforgettable stays. Enjoy onsite dining when you stay with us, rejuvenating spa services, expansive event space and so much more on the Connecticut shoreline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Preferred Hotels, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Water's Edge Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Water`s Edge Resort And Spa
- Water`s Edge Hotel Westbrook
- Waters Edge Hotel