“Disappointing Thanksgiving experience”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I'm giving this review a 3 based on all of my experiences there, but in reality my most recent experience was closer to a 1. I have never stayed at the hotel and my post is only about the restaurant.

My family lives in the area and we often go to the restaurant to celebrate an event or for a holiday meal. In fact, we had been to the restaurant with a large group just 3 weeks before on a quiet night and the service was friendly enough, the food was good, and the drinks were fantastic. After such a good time there a few weeks earlier and very recent family tragedy, we wanted to skip the stress of the holiday and have our meal out at the Water's Edge.

We had made a reservation days in advance and were asked when booking if everyone in our party could handle a staircase. No issues, we are familiar with the dining room and its huge staircase, so we were led to believe we would be seated in the formal dining area.

We arrived on time for our reservation, hungry and ready for the buffet. We were standing in front of the hostess's podium awkwardly because the hostess, Racquelle, did NOT greet us at first and instead was complaining about the busy day to her nearby coworker -- "is it over?" When we finally got her attention, she told us we would have to wait 20-25 minutes for our table. Many others were waiting in the lobby, so we chose to sit at the bar and wait. We were understanding of the initial wait because of the holiday, and we were pleased with the lady bartender (the one with all the tattoos) who was friendly, professional, and made good cocktails. After about 45 minutes of waiting, we started to get confused and worried as everyone else who had been waiting at the bar after us had already been seated and also we were confused by the amount of empty tables at the restaurant. This became very stressful for my already fragile family. We checked in with Racquelle and when she finally decided to give us her attention she told us our table was being prepared. Finally, a half hour later, an hour and fifteen minutes after our reservation was scheduled for, we were seated in the bar area!? And when we finally got to the buffet, it was so packed it just gave us even more anxiety. The food was ok, our server was frazzled, and the desserts were severely lacking. No pumpkin/apple pie? Is this Thanksgiving?

All in all, extremely disappointing. We were expecting a stress-free meal and instead were treated rudely and got even more anxiety. Do not go on a big holiday -- If I could do it again, I would head elsewhere -- perhaps Salt at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa close by where the workers aren't complaining in your face.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank skybertha

Reviewed 5 December 2013

stayed here this past summer (2013).
they have awesome looking grounds however its extremely expensive to stay there.
they cater to the wealthy which explains why they were indifferent to my wife and i.
all except for the two gentlemen who checked us in were indifferent.
those guys were great. i think one was a manager, very nice.
The interior was not bad nothing special. average time share furniture. not bad though.
we had a leak that ran down the chimney wall on to the middle of the living room floor. about 2 am in the morning. very inconvenient.
the sent a man with a bucket. which happed to be the only person of color that i saw the entire week there.
the next morning they sent two workers to fix . we checked out.
they were not concerned with even apologizing to us because of our inconvenience at the front desk.
we convinced them that a refund of our wi-fi fee ( approx 20 bucks or so) was appropriate at least.
that typified the experience. they felt no need to try to accomodate us or make us comfortable in any way at all.
the beach is un-welcoming. rough and shallow; really not a beach.
tennis court is up the road and across the street ( be careful), busy road.
we were as underwelmed with them as they were with us.
all in all you could easily avoid this place and go somewhere, where you could feel appreciated or even acknowleged.
the immaculate grounds could not cover up for the tragically expensive restaurant, very average interior, and cold reception from staff.
indifferent!

Room Tip: upper rooms leak and stairs were very dirty leading to room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank kjones160974
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I grew up in the area and have never stayed at Water's Edge before. On a recent holiday visit home, my husband and I elected to stay at the water's edge. The hotel was not at capacity which is why I can't figure out why they put us in what I have to imagine is the worst room there- Room 212. We were literally directly over the lobby and next to the open stairwell. All night long, you could hear groups of people gathered in the lobby talking loudly, people running up and down the stairs, and the band playing in the bar may as well have been in the room with us. If i stay there again, I would only do so if I was in a room that wasn't practically in the lobby and I would recommend this hotel to avoid putting people in that room unless they are fully booked. Not quite the peaceful, relaxing evening we were looking for.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jamiemango
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was there for a wedding reception. Food is awesome as well as services, their restaurant and reception staff were very friendly! I found the price was worth the services received, please keep it up.

Room Tip: A view of the sound.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maggy H
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

If you find this helpful please click the helpful link below.
----------------------------------------

Location - well clearly thats what this place has going for it and the staff takes full advantage of that in the service category. Its on the ocean with partial views of long island sound. Its in southern CT about 25 mins from Mohegan, 40 mins from Foxwoods. There are quaint shops on premises and there is a outlet nearby. There are a few decent looking restaurants right nearby. Its located 1 mile from the highway.

Rooms - the rooms are small but they have some cool amenities. There is a jacuzzi / soaker - standard option, there is a balcony with chairs for added comfort. Two pluses. The rooms are partially updated with nice tv's and decent fixtures in the bath. Water pressure is great. The two bad's - bed sucks and i didn't sleep well and the wall heater / ac unit is really loud so I stood zero chance of sleeping well.

Service - upon arriving the front desk person was in the room behind the desk sitting on her but looking at her phone. I made several noises and actually had to peek in and say "excuse me" which I hate to do. She approached agitated and just was not pleasant. There was confusion about billing and she was very direct so I became defensive as a result. Bad start. Restaurant / bartenders were punchy also. They tried to sneak in a 20% gratuity without telling us and the guy paying has bad vision and it was dark.. BTW - there was only 2 of us! Thought that was absurd. Restaurant is ok, nothing to write home about however I will say the food was slightly better than average.

Bar - good size bar, clean, dead. Closed much earlier than posted!

Price - well... If your going to pay anything more than $150 for pleasure purposes in the on season I would feel like you overpaid considering the service level. If they get their act together then just for location and view I would pay $180. For business I just wouldn't pay more than $129.

Conferences / weddings - plenty of rooms, ideal for a wedding.

Spa - there is one and it looked decent from the outside.

Pool - looked rather small, closed up early. Just okay.

I would come back for a second try however I hope management or ownership reads these reviews and begins making changes. This could be a lovely place.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Tripking07
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed a week could of stayed 2 weeks easily. Had a large unit with loft would of slept 6. Nice kitchen. Loved the pool and spa as well as the grounds! Fresh clean air streaming in off the LI Sound in the back yard. Outdoor pool as well. Personally i dont understand all the negative reviews of this resort. Its delightful. Fireplaces, flatscreen TVs. Maybe its because im with RCI and trade into the 1 bedroom units and not the hotel im not sure. All i know is that its very comfortable . If there were a minus id say that the wood floors in the unit we stayed in were buckling all over the place. Other then that, wow. So nice.

Room Tip: If you can get a 1 bedroom loft your doing ok!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Great location and ocean view. Rooms can use some renovations but overall not bad. Need a lot work on customer service, bad attitude from front desk most of the time. I wont choose the place again based on service.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liliana E R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Sound View Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#1 of 7 in Greenport

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!