“Excellent location for vacation or event”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Fort Myers, Florida
“Excellent location for vacation or event”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Water's Edge offers some of Connecticut's best best vacationing/dining/event options. The views can't be beat. We've had several family events here and all have been handled wonderfully. The food is always excellent and the service very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I took a very spontaneous trip after a funeral near Boston. We had not investigated the property before booking - but we were ok to try and see. To be fair, this is a very old facility attached to some 'new' pieces. You can rent a regular Room from this facility or one of the newer condos. The townhomes also looked dated. I don't know if it was a time share or some form of owner/rental, but we are only rating the 'resort' piece

CONS:
1. We paid $400 (way way too much) for a 'water' view room. The room was dated, had a mildew smell, and had a balcony which actually was obstructed from a nice water view by roof peaks from whatever was downstairs. The balcony chairs were dirty and cheap with no tables or really any reason to sit outside - as when you sat down - you really couldn't see the water. The toilet RAN ALL night in our room. It was fine when we first got into the room, but somewhere around 2am - it just started to flush by itself. My husband and I both were up most of the night trying to giggle the handle and stop the sounds. NOT very restful. When we mentioned this upon check out - we were told - oh - so sorry about that.
2. As we were checking out - I heard the front desk personnel book a regular room for $79 for a sunday night. I realize weekends are 'pricing opportunities', but Sunday being 1/4 the price seemed odd. So - was unsure how pricing really worked. The website suggested 139 - 339 per night.
3. The beach area was dirty, small and many chairs were missing slats. We sat at the beach for awhile and never saw any of the 'bar waitresses' which we heard were available. We then sat at the pool on a saturday and the bar waitress asked the person next to us if they wanted a drink - and then walked away. Didn't even ask us - and we were reading - so not at all unapproachable.
4. We ordered lunch from the bar near the pool. Our waitress was new - and very sweet - but it took over 45 minutes to get a pre-made wrap sandwich - which the wrap was soggy given they were made in advance. She gave us our lunch - but no napkins. I waited for a bit, but then got up and got some myself from the bar for us and the table next to us - who also didn't have napkins - and they were almost finished with their food.
5. The Service was also very slow at the sunset bar - which you don't see the sunset. It sets behind one of the new buildings they put up. So no sunset view. Once the sun started to set - the nats and bug were out and biting. I didn't bring bug spray but saw many people spraying away from the crowd. Bring bug spray for evening - as the beach was filled with nats.

PROS:
1. Service was slow but everyone was very nice. It looked like alot of college students on break. They were very cordial, smiled and were trying to make everything nice. I give them a 5 for 'effort' in that area - from the bellman, front desk and service.
2. Their food quality was very good at the restaurant inside. The breakfast was nice - with the eggs and hash browns. The chips and salsa at the outside restaurant were very stale - but I know those kinds of products are hard to keep fresh around humidity.
3. Lots of different ages of people and families. There was a great mix of people overall at the facility - which also hosted weddings.
4. The water was freezing, but when it is low tide, you can actually walk out about 1/4 mile in the water to a small deserted island in the sound. Just don't go after 2 - as the tide starts to roll in and you could be stuck on the island !!

Overall, I was not impressed based on the price. At 79 per night - I probably would have given them 4 stars as this was about the range of cost I would expect for the quality. But 400+ per night for the quality room we stayed in was very very overpriced in my book.

Room Tip: Don't overpay for the 'water' view with a balcony. Look into the condos or townhouses...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lori S
Hamburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife booked a two night getaway for us at Waters Edge. She requested a water view. We found the room down a narrow hallway with dated wall paper and dingy carpet. The view was amazing however the room smelled strongly of burgers and hot dogs and the balcony was unusable because of the smell from the kitchen. We didn't complain at that point as we were tired. I noticed outside our room on the floor was a dinner napkin and a dirty plate. That stayed there all afternoon, all night and was removed the next day when I mentioned it to the front desk. Later that day a dinner napkin showed up in the same spot and was still there when we left the following day. I wonder how many staff people walked past that and ignored it. Saturday morning, our third and final day I mentioned to the front desk that the other parts of the facility seemed renovated and nicer. She replyed that we were in the old section. I said why we were not in the newer section and she said the view is better in our room. I said it smells bad and I would not stay here again based on that room. She smiled and said "sorry". That's all.
Food and service in the restaurant was fine, the grounds are gorgeous.
We had booked massages for our second day there. Mine was ok, my wife's was terrible, the therapist talked too much, didn't listen and was not skilled. I spoke to the manager and he quickly agreed to remove her massage from our bill. There were other negatives about the spa but enoughs enough. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Best not to stay in the old section.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a bachelorette spa weekend reserved for 10 women with massages and mani's and pedi's. I must be honest, for the price they charged, I expected much more in the way of customer service. They were by far, the worst I have experienced in any hotel. The customer service manager at the front desk looked annoyed whenever you approached the desk with a question and appeared like she wanted nothing to do with anyone there. The nail salon attendees were very friendly and courteous but gave new meaning to the term "express manicure". The Spa staff, were also very friendly, courteous and professional, and the treatments were nice. Lunch outside was great, and the staff was very friendly. At the inside restaurant, dinner was a bit of a fiasco. The appetizers were actually very good. but for the dinner, most of the food (fish) was undercooked, and the wait? Oh dear heavens..... that was insane.... And for brunch the following morning? We wanted to make a reservation and were told they would not be able to accommodate a group of 10.... yet upon looking at the dining room - it was completely EMPTY. In addition, a group of 17 walked in right after us (without a reservation), and were told they would get a table ready for them. Upon checkout, no one inquired how things were, were we happy, satisfied, etc (same rude woman I may add)... probably good they didn't actually - they would have gotten a mouthful and then some. Made the mistake of going this first time, but won't make the same mistake twice.... definitely the last time.

Room Tip: Choose another spa/resort
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank cpam0m0f2
Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had planned to spend Memorial Day Weekend at the Water's Edge Resort as a little getaway. We spent exactly 23 hours there.

We had a first floor suite in the Fenwick Library Building. Upon arrival, we had trouble getting a valet to bring in our luggage and I had to go out and stand in the rain and hail someone driving around in a golf cart. The furniture in the unit was shabby; the walls paper thin. There are balconies, but no furniture for them.

We had problems from the first minute with the toilet flushing poorly and making huge gurgling sounds whenever someone else in the building flushed a toilet. Maintenance came three times and, while they were polite, they were ineffective. When we returned from dinner the toilet didn't flush at all. Maintenance came again and "fixed" the poblem, but the toilet ran all night.

We shared a wall with a function room that was having a religious ceremony all evening and you could hear every clap and shout.

Dinner at the restaurant was good, not great, but not bad.

We checked out at 7 a.m. and the gentleman who took care of it was unsure how not to charge us for the entire planned 4 day stay so it was a lengthy experience with no inquiry as to why we were leaving or if there was anything he could do. Never again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michele G
2014Management, Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Michele,
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. I hope you will accept my personal apology for the deficiencies in your guest room and that you were unable to get assistance with your luggage quickly.. We take great pride in the cleanliness and maintenance of our property and we have corrected the challenges you encountered with the toilet. I hope you will give us another chance in the near future and take advantage of all the amenities that the Water's Edge Resort & Spa has to offer.
Stratford, CT
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I attended a bridal shower brunch at Water's Edge and can't complement the food enough. (And I am typically not a brunch person!) The omelets were cooked to perfection and the crepes, made to each person's specifications, were amazing. There was a wide array of food, including large chilled shrimp, fruit, a carving station (or two), and an assortment of desserts.

We were a small group of 10 so were seated in an area with three tables of 10 (or so), separated from the other diners (at plus for them). It was a bit tight moving around the tables to get to the buffet but the area had large windows facing the terrace and sound with a great view.

On the downside, I don't think that the waitstaff was adequate for the three large tables. I never managed to get a second cup of coffee and had to wait until we could flag someone down even for water refills.

However, I do look forward to returning for brunch with my husband on the terrace or in the main dining area. Overall, a lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2014Management, Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We are so pleased you enjoyed brunch. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself despite being a "non brunch person." The Water's Edge culinary team will be pleased to hear they were able to changed your perception! Regarding the service, there is no excuse for the issues you encountered and I will review our staffing guidelines with our Restaurant Manager and Food & Beverage Director to correct this matter.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you at our Sunday brunch!
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went there for a wedding at this resort and loved everything about it. The accommodations were very nice and the wedding was wonderful. This place is large and busy but somehow they made you feel like you were well taken care of. The setting is beautiful and magical for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria t
Victoria,

We are so pleased you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the wedding. The Water's Edge Resort is truly a beautiful setting on the Connecticut shoreline but it is our people that makes our resort special. We certainly appreciate hearing about our about staff and I am glad you feel the staff accommodated your needs. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Pier Blue Guesthouse
#3 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Westbrook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!