“Beautiful Beach and Picnic Resource. Get there early!”

Sherwood Island State Park
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Westport
Westport, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach and Picnic Resource. Get there early!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Sherwood Island is an exceptional resource, with miles of multiple beach areas amidst many shade trees and picnic grounds, plus a small live animal Nature Center for kids, and plenty of convenient snack bars in season. On most days it is surprisingly private and underutilized.
On hot summer weekends, however, it is filled with barbecue and picnic aromas and families of every nationality, language, and music, enjoying their family rituals and sport games. It is a mini-United Nations example of all peoples gathering together happily, with plenty of land, beach and sea. There is a also a grassy area of gravestones in a 9/11 Memorial for CT residents, located at the land's edge with views to Manhattan.
On hot weekends, the cars coming up from NYC can result in the parking lots being full and closed out by 9:00-10:00 in the morning, so get there early!! A season pass saves money.

Off season, it's a huge, private and free of charge, beautiful paradise with many walking paths. I live in the same town - Westport, CT, so my husband and family and I exercise walk our dog and ourselves there many times a month (except when dogs are prohibited in season.) Sherwood Island State Park is a beautiful, expansive place to walk and enjoy the greenery, the coastal inlets, and the horizon.

5 Thank AmateurCritic_13

Norwalk, Connecticut
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Visited Sherwood Island , A place from my youth”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Took a opportunity to visit Sherwood Island State Park. I had been here many times in my childhood and several times during the winter months over the years to exercise my dogs.This had been a first time in many, many years during the summer months that I had visited this park in a very , very long time.

During the winter months--one can enter the park for free. But on this day---my friend and I paid the normal entry fee which is $9.00 a car. To me the $9.00 fee was well worth it.

The park was rather empty when we arrived around 1pm or so. I'm not sure why that was ---it was still sprinkling when we arrived---but it was quickly turning into a nice warm day and very sunny. However earlier in the day-- their had been rain storms-so I believe that is why many seemed to have left already.This is a very large park and it was almost empty.

The park was in beautiful condition for the most part...green where it should of been green . trees in excellent condition .parking lots which used to be a hodge poged affair clearly marked and the beaches sand clean.

But , oh !! The Canadian Geese ! I love animals especially wild ones--but the Canadian Geese have fouled not only it seems every grass area --but even the roads themselves. Several huge flocks...and I mean 7 to 10 separate flocks of them - maybe 30 to 40 in each flock have made a home in every nook and cranny especially around the entrance road , the round about and throughout the West Beach.

I wish a few more could go for someones dinner !!

We began our visit on the East Beach . This area has the Nature Center , biking trails . Hiking trails , the Marsh Area , the beach.. Very nicely kept up...but the roads could use a little better signage. It was sometimes difficult to know which road to go down.

After sending some time here eating our lunch---we went over to the West Beach.

Now this was the side I remembered better--not only very nice beaches , but the Pavilion where my friend and I landed to sit and view things. We had brought our own food and drink --but there was a open snack shop there as well.It also offered rest rooms and nice seating at tables to hold maybe 6 to eight people each.

I must complain again about the fouling of the walkways and the grass by the Geese in this area.getting from the parking lot to this pavilion was like walking a mine field.

The bathrooms here are very dated but clean and comfortable to use. A large commercial fan kept air moving and helped to sound proof the area as well.

We ventured over to the 9-11 remembrance Display..and sat for awhile. We could not see all the way to New York because of the haze. But the view was very nice. The sand in this area is very while--almost blinding to my friend.

This is also the Fishing Area..several doing just that--but I didn't see any catches while we were there. You DO NEED a license in Ct. to fish !

From this point we returned to the car and made our way to the far western Beach. Here the sand has more earth in it. More Brown looking as opposed to the white sands made from the shells being ground up....but there were quite a few people in the water here .

Several new buildings holding bathrooms in this area...along with some great spots for BBQ. here. Close to the beach ...but kept nice and cool by the trees....but again...lots of Geese. Three flocks in the very large area.

They have been working on this park and it really shows.

The only places I saw stairs was to go to the top observation deck of the pavilion. The other places I saw had wheel chair ramps to allow mobility.

My friend and I have already talked about returning here for lunch or a picnic or even fishing. It will be very nice and comfortable to do so.......there for I think you would enjoy this great park as well.

3 Thank WANTOTRAV
Rhinebeck, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great Day Trip and Convenient to Reach”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My son and I trained with our Martial Arts school on this beach last Sunday. We found the beach clean, inviting and well attended by staff. There are private areas to change and shower, if needed, with cookout areas under shade, all of which are very close to the actual beach.

The beach itself is clean and free of any debris. Shells abound! You should note that there rocks just off the shore as you walk into the shallows and if you have pool shoes, that might serve you well if you don't want to go too deep into the surf. However, it is a minor inconvenience. On a hot day, the water was actually quite welcoming and warm.

There is a no alcohol policy and that's good because the "hooliganism" is kept down to a minimum. You will have to pay to use the beach (a little more than $20.00), but it's worth it.

As for logistics, it's very close to I-95 and it took just under 2 hrs to get here from Dutchess County NY. There are hotels in nearby Westport if you plan a couple of days here.

The town of Wilton is also nearby for dining and supplies if you need them prior to getting to the Island, if you take Route 7 off of 95 to get to the beach.

Overall, this was a very pleasant experience.

1 Thank AK L
Clemson, South Carolina
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Nice Park on Monday or Tuesday”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We were on a long drive from Roanoke, VA to Narragansett, RI and needed to stop and stretch our legs. We checked to see what was coming up and found this beach, which was said to be closed on Monday and Tuesday, but we drove there anyway, since it's barely off the interstate (I-95/The Parking Lot).

Well, it was 'closed' in the sense that no one was there to take your money or man the pavilion, but we could just drive right up and park and take a walk on the beach, which was all we wanted to do, anyway. The bathrooms were even open.

The 9/11 memorial garden was nice, too. The only problem was the immense amount of dog(?) poo on the beach. Literally (yes, literally) every four or five feet in every direction. I guess it could be seagull waste, but it sure looked otherwise. I can't imagine how many thousands of dogs it would take to produce that much. Surely, it's not here on 'open' days.

1 Thank SCDad
Athens, Ohio
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Rocky but large beach, no showers and no alcohol”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I checked many reviews and some of them posted in correct information. First, it is important to know that alcohol is prohibited although some of the web pages state otherwise. Dogs are permitted during the winter time. Staff is friendly, I was surprised to find a complete absence of showers to clean up after swimming in the sound. The beach sand was nice and parking was conveniently close. The beach in the water is very shallow so swimming is difficult. I walked about 200 feet out and the water still did not reach my navel. I had to stop walking when I encountered copious amounts of sharp rocks and sea grass, so some water shoes or booties is recommended. I have a pair but did not think to bring with me. During the week it is was empty and quiet, so nice for my wife and I to lay on the beach.

Visited June 2013