“Why didn't I know about this place?”

Westfair Fish & Chips
Ranked #21 of 175 Restaurants in Westport
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was our first time and it won't be our last! We'd spent the afternoon at a local beach and my wife suggested we try a place that was recommended to her.

Oh, my... why have I been driving to the eastern Connecticut shoreline for good 'beach' seafood for almost thirty years when this place was just 20 miles down the road. Okay, it's a small, mostly take-out, place... but the food couldn't be fresher or better. We were able to score a small table inside and we feasted on our fried, whole-belly clams, a half-dozen RI oysters, crab cakes, an order of fish 'n chips, a pint of clam chowder and shrimp cocktail. We washed all this goodness down with a couple of nice cold Stewarts sodas and we were good to go.

The next time we get a craving for 'beach' food, I know where we're headed.

1  Thank Rob S

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

I have been to many, many fish and chips places and this is an authentic one. Everything is always fresh ( I've tried more than half the menu) the guys that run it are accommodating and friendly - and I think the prices are very reasonable for the area. There is really no atmosphere, take your food to go or sit outside in the summer. Highly Recomended

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Anyone who thinks these fish and chips are great has never been to a genuine UK fish and chip shop. They use only the cheapest of the tail meat and the chips are frozen reconstituted potato.
Absolutely awful.

1  Thank Bowlerscroft
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This place still has a great menu with fresh fish but the food is now prepared with a heavier hand on the salt shaker. Portion size is lacking as well. I ordered 2 dozen oysters on the half shell 1 whole belly clam and chips along with 3 fish and chips. I choose the Haddock instead of the usual Cod. On one order I asked for sweet potato fries in lieu of the usual but arrived home with a baked sweet potato.....ugh.....did not make the wife happy!!!The oysters were GREAT, fresh and properly shucked! The accompanying lemon wedges and cocktail sauce really hit the spot with my son his friend and I.....YUMMY.....HOWEVER, everyone complained about the salt and portion size. The fish was slightly dry as well. I'll probably give them another shot in the future . Definitely for the oysters if nothing else!!! Ohh I forgot to mention it was a 55 minute wait. 4 people ordered before me and approximately 8 after I put mine in.....ugh...the young man taking orders said the wait would be 20-25 minutes. No one is perfect but that was a bit too long for take out!!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I have been coming here since they opened twenty-eight years ago. We moved to New York City long ago but any visit to the area always includes at least one stop here. It says a lot that this little place has survived while hundreds of other local restaurants have come and gone. Tucked behind a strip mall, this place is usually hopping. Put on the brakes when you see the Fried Clams sign at the edge of the parking lot. Go for the New England Clam Chowder, the fried fish (tip: try the fried haddock), fried clams, onion rings, broiled fish, steamed lobster when they have it. . . mmm, it's all good. They do one thing and they do it real well. The owner and his long-term assistant are hardworking, competent and friendly. Do we own stock in this restaurant? No. But we would if we could!