“Great sushi,ambiance and service”

Sakura Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 176 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Sakura Japanese Restaurant serves high quality, delicious Japanese fare in an exquisite environment. Give us a call and we'll create your ideal dining experience today. At Sakura, you can mold your dining experience to what you want it to be. We offer a variety of food options and rooms to offer you an unforgettable experience. Join us in our hibachi grill room for fresh steak, seafood, and chicken prepared right in front of you in a lively and fun environment. Try our sushi bar which offers an outstanding selection of fresh fish and rolls made to order. We also offer a full menu of traditional Japanese fare like sukiyaki, bento boxes and more. We have a number of Tatami private dining rooms for groups of two to groups of up to 14. We also offer a fun, refined bar dining area and a lovely outdoor patio for your enjoyment. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a great night with us. Give us a call to make your reservation today.
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Being a Westport native,Sakura was the very first Japanese restaurant that I ever went to and my first experience with sushi(about 30 years ago.)

I have been going ever since and appreciate the Sakura experience despite the addition of a few "new" Japanese restaurants in town. Personally, I like sitting in the lounge or when weather permits, the outdoor deck. However,the restaurant is deceptively large and there are a few tatami rooms,and a couple of "traditional" dining areas,one with a fireplace.The hibachi dining room is a favorite for families and parties.There is something for everyone.

The service is always excellent and the sushi always inventive and fresh.The vibe is perfect for families or for couples.

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We finally returned to Sakura after a long hiatus. This place has the goods. Every detail of the dining experience is well orchestrated. It is fun dining . The patrons are multi generational. The food is top notch and priced accordingly. The restaurant was packed on the week day evening that we attended. Parents with kids, seniors and twenty somethings were all having a great time even through the high noise level inside. The star of the show is the teppanyaki performance. Kids love the flipping and tossing of the food. We had shrimp, steak and the boat. Loads of food. Everything was very good. The restaurant also has a bridge in the bar area with running water. There are birds in a large cage. Something for everyone. It all works.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We have been going to Sakura for 20 years and have always had a great time. It is a great place to go for birthdays and anniversaries. The chefs are always very entertaining and the service is great.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Sakura is a staple of Westport, a town with dozens of top restaurants and hundreds in Fairfield County, as well as those that go out of business regularly. Sakura survives because of its consistently solid food, wide menu selection, attractive, cozy surroundings, visible central location, and most importantly - the very popular Hibachi bar where kids and families often hang out. Sakura's bar and other rooms are multigenerational serve twenty-somethings and business people to the longtime citizens in town. The toughest part is getting in or out of the driveway when traffic on the Post Road is heavy. But that doesn't stop anyone. Local residents appreciate Sakura as a longtime, fun restaurant in town, amidst lots of Asian restaurant competition from gourmet "Tengda" restaurant just down the Post Road, and nearby "Little Kitchen."

Reviewed 22 July 2013

When we moved from NY in 95...I knew i had to find a 'decent Japanese'. Walking in here the first time was very dismaying because the 'Hibachi area' made for that 'Benihanya experience' for pseudo-japanese loved by kids and...others, hid the 'traditional area of the restaurant. It is like two different restaurants. The food is top quality 'real japanese' nd the staff and owner treat us like old friends as we have been going steadily since 95. I have NEVER had a bad meal here. They laugh when I order because I will get into a groove with one menu I devise and stick with it for a year until I decide to try a new combo. Right now..I can't get off the following 'order' that I don't even have to repeat to the wonderful servers. Edaname. Vegetable gyoza (delicious), the Soba noodles made with chicken and extra vegetables (and they use low-sodium soy for me) I think I did two years on the yosenabe before that. My partner is a fish lover and not quite as ritualistic as me so he has gone through the whole menu ...twice. A tip..if you don't want Saki or a cocktail...they have an unassuming French Rose that is reasonable and just perfect for the summer. The same glass of wine cost much more just down the street at the Spotted white horse...white pony with spots...whatever that 'noisy scene restaurant' is called :) Sakura always relaxes me and is like a good friend when you are up for a fun evening or you need a little TLC after a tough day.