“New on the outside, but don't be fooled!!”

Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I'm a Hilton Honors member who travels frequently and to Hartford/Windsor are for business. Since this property completed its "renovation", I began using it as my "default" booking option for travel to the area and have spent 3-5 nights per month over 3 months in the hotel. Unfortunately, I've had to accept the realization that their "renovation" is only skin deep and that the renovation didn't include a much needed staff overhaul.

On my last two visits, the rooms I've stayed in have a funny smell that I can't quite pinpoint and couldn't eliminate with Febreeze or anything else. On my most recent visit, I had to have maintenance remove BLACK MOLD from the bathroom ceiling! The guy literally showed up with rubber gloves and bleach solution and the staff was clearly annoyed that I asked to change rooms. While the maintenance guy was in my room I asked about the smell and he said it was probably a dirty air filter. He opened the unit to access the filter and remove it for cleaning and.....as he's taking it from my room to clean it....all kinds of "crud" is falling off it onto the floor and into the air....not sure the thing had EVER been cleaned.

The next morning, while showering, I realized my tub wasn't draining properly so I was standing in dirty water as I showered. When leaving for the day, I asked if they could fix it while I was out; next day......never fixed. I also don't think (on any of my visits) housekeeping ever mops the bathroom floors.

With the exception of the young lady who works the breakfast shift in the restaurant, bad attitudes abound with the room service/restaurant, maintenance and housekeeping staff. They all seem to have an "it's not my problem" attitude.

Positives: convenient location, refrigerator & microwave in sapcious room, new furniture & carpeting.

Unfortunately, the positives aren't enough to outweigh the real underlying service and maintenance problems that I've experienced on 3 recent visits in 3 different rooms. It's Marriott for me in Windsor from now on.......

Room Tip: Choose Marriott Windsor instead.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank travlingirl1123
Richard A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to notify me of the concerns you had with my property. I would like to discuss this with you if possible. Please contact me at the hotel

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in August and enjoyed it very much. The hotel was very clean, the beds were comfortable (they could use some better pillows though). The hotel staff we encountered were very nice, so I'm not sure about the staff(ers) referred to in previous reviews. Our first night, we arrived late and didn't know the surrounding area, so we just ate at the hotel's restaurant. The food was good and the service was very accommodating considering that they were about to close, we were not really rushed at all. Our waiter was very nice and my kids had him laughing. My only problem with the place was the AC unit kicking on and off all night...it would get hot, then the AC would kick in (loudly), then it'd get cool and shut off...wash, rinse, repeat all night long....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This 10 year old hotel had been recently modernized. It looked like it has just opened. Room was large, had very comfortable bed, large flat screen TV and even an iron and ironing board,. Had a buffet breakfast that was excellent and priced right. Front desk very friendly and helpful. Had indoor pool, hot tub and large exercise room with good equipment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I checked in on Business. Walked to the front desk where the woman hardly acknowledged me. She wasn't polite or friendly at all. I got up to my room to have two beds and my reservation was for a KING. I called down to explain this problem and she immediately put me on hold without asking me to hold. I was on hold so long I hung up and called back to the front desk , after 15 minutes my room was changed. The next day I went to the front desk for directions to a restaurant in South Windsor and another FRONT DESK WOMEN WAS JUST AS USELESS AS THE WOMEN WHO CHECKED ME IN! Long story short the FRONT DESK service was poor. I'm a frequent guest at the Hilton Properties and I've never had service like this. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend this place to friends, family or colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed here three nights for a work trip. This is a great hotel for the business traveler, and I would also recommend it for a personal stay. There’s a welcoming reception area (all renovations mentioned in prior reviews must now be complete). The first floor restaurant/lounge area would be nice to relax with a drink/book at the end of the day. When I did my bed bug/check the mattress test, I was very happy to see how new the mattress and covers were, and also how CLEAN everything in the room was (no worries about going barefoot).

The little touches add up: the in-room coffee creamers are individual liquid packs, vs. the powdered crap. The bathroom is fully stocked with toiletries, and there’s a fridge & micro in room. Prices for the pantry’s food/drinks were reasonable ($1.50 for water vs. $3+ that I’ve seen at other hotels), and breakfast could be done a la carte (nice if you just want a bowl of cereal), or the full buffet (the rosemary potatoes were pretty darn fabulous.) Every staff person I met was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed one night and had dinner and breakfast. The hotel just underwent a full renovation and in fact they were taking new marketing photos this week. The room was comfortable. Nice beds, lots of cushy towels, toiletries. There was a small balcony which was nice. I ate dinner at the restaurant - pasta with 3 mushrooms. It was very good. The restaurant is small but nice and has a small bar as well as outdoor seating. Very nice staff. Breakfast is served in the same space. Made to order eggs, pancakes etc. I had oatmeal and fruit and my bill was a whopping $2. My only complaint (minor) was that I could hear the tv's from the neighboring rooms a tiny bit when I went to sleep and when I woke up.
There was SMALL fitness center but I didn't use it. Also a pool with a tiny hottube but it looked very clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Was a bit surprised that this hotel was undergoing renovations when I got here as I was not forewarned, but it was not a major inconvenience. Although the front lobby is closed, you are easily directed to a decent entrance in the rear, with a nice use of the function rooms as a temporary front desk and restaurant. I have been in some hotels (including HGI's) undergoing renovation before, and they were not nearly as well prepared to handle people. Plus I got a free well drink at the bar, popcorn and cookies. Don't know if this was because of the renovation or in spite of it. The renovated room has new carpet, drapes, headboard, sofa, wall pictures, bedside lamps, and LCD flat screen TV - possibly a new bed. Hallways are renovated too. Not sure I like the new color scheme (purple and lime green), but a nice room overall. Only complaints were: with only one elevator bank working it took 10 min to get an elevator, and there were few cable TV stations available - wanted to see a show on Bravo and not available as it was at my previous hotel. Temporary business center has only one computer which was in constant use so not available to me. Overall, I was happy with my stay and think it is a good choice despite the renovations.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank drichrx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
HYATT house Hartford North/Windsor
Hartford/Windsor Marriott Airport
Courtyard Hartford Windsor
3 mi away
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport
Residence Inn Hartford Windsor
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradley Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!