“Good Extended Stay”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Windsor
Windham, Connecticut
“Good Extended Stay”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This hotel was booked by my company for an extended (2 month) stay in Hartford. The location is conveniently off I-91 (downside is road noise on the back-side rooms, but not too bad). The rooms are quads (I think) with one main "gate house) for registration, dining, exercise room and laundry. The "business center" is simply a desktop PC and printer in the hallway, but in this day and age, who really needs this?

It is an older facility, but my experience was everything was clean and well-maintained. Nice to have full kitchen (full fridge, range, microwave and dishwasher, and basic place settings, pots/pans and utensils). They do provide breakfast 7 days, which is OK - scrambled eggs and sausage is the staple and waffle maker. They also provide a complimentary dinner with wine/beer Monday-Thursday. Nothing stellar, but hey, can you really complain about "free"
food? Extremely pleasant server for dinner (Misha) who is just a real sweetie.

The rest of the staff is also very nice and pleasant, and they do seem to care about their guests.

They always had ample change for the on-site laundry (3 washers, 4 dryers), which worked great.

Internet worked OK; had to have my room router re-set once, but after that, all was OK.

They staff handled the great blizzard of 2013 (24+ inches) very well; they served dinner on Saturday night (not expected) and did a very good job in snow removal; provided me with a shovel and staff (or contractor?) assisted with a snow blower in digging out my car. Storm hit on Friday night, and we could get out by Saturday afternoon (if you really need to); absolutely no problems by Monday morning when I had to return to work.

Would definitely stay again, and recommend to others as well for an extended stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in "back-side" buildings face I-91, so there is some road noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Don't stay at this hotel unless you want to be be charged erroneous fees after checking out based on hearsay from the cleaning lady! My experience was pleasant until a month after check out when I noticed an additional $250 charged to my credit card. Though I don't smoke, apparently the cleaning lady claimed that she smelled cigarette smoke in the room after I'd checked out, so the hotel automatically charged me a remediation fee; and they never attempted to communicate with me or provide evidence proving their accusation. When I contacted the Mgr he claimed they could not reimburse me because of the cleaning costs they had incurred; which then reminded me of the moldy smell in the room upon check-in, although I had not complained since I knew I'd only be there one night. I've yet to be reimbursed since I no longer had my original receipt, which my cc company required. This situation is blatantly criminal! BEWARE, always save your receipt and check your statement for accuracy unless you want to be victimized by greedy hotel management.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Howard e

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We checked in late but the receptionist was ready for us - even helped us find somewhere to eat that was open at a late hour. Room was clean, large and had a wood-burning fireplace for which we were given a starter log. The kitchen included very thing we needed, such as plates, glasses, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave. Breakfast was the standard buffet - eggs, waffles, bacon, potatoes, fresh fruit, etc. Internet worked well. Rooms are in separate buildings rather than the standard hotel layout.

Rooms on the I-91 side can get road noise so ask for one that's quieter. The outdoor pool was closed for the season but the small gym was adequate for a hotel. Remember that the Residence Inn brand of Marriott is designed for business and there are few family type amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the I-91 side - much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We came to this hotel from Long Island, NY to escape damage from Hurricane Sandy. This one was of the only hotels within 5 hours of our home that accepted dogs and was still open. We couldn't have found a better hotel. They offer a nightly social where they cook dinner and people can hang out in the lounge. Even when our power went out due to the hurricane, we still were served pizza ordered from a local restaurant. They also offered us bottles of water and boxes of granola bars for lunch with the power out. The fireplace came in very handy in this situation and the hotel offered free firewood. They gave us updates as they could and were very helpful. They stayed calm and and collected when many guests were concerned. Their staff was extremely friendly and professional before, during and after the hurricane.

As for the room, it was excellent! I'd heard they were recently remodeled and they didn't disappoint. It looked exactly like it did in the picture. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience. I'm somewhat particular and usually have some kind of small gripe about a hotel, but I cannot think of anything that I would have changed about this hotel. We would definitely go back to this hotel if we're ever back in the area and recommend it to anyone! Thank you to the staff of this hotel!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kelsey B
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We arrived late - between 11 and 12PM, hoping to find a typical Residence Inn which is always our favorite in the Marriott chain. What we found was something entirely different. The employee behind the counter, while very friendly, was dressed in blue jeans with white bleach stains - not what I would expect, even late at night at a Marriott of any level. There was a sign mentioning "Pet policy in effect". We asked what the pet policy was (thinking we'd like to bring our dog on a future trip) and were told "$100"....Didn't ask further, but I assume that was the nightly fee for a pet which makes me wonder why there are so many positive reviews from pet owners here. There are no indoor corridors to the rooms - each group of rooms is a 2 story (walk up) small block of "apartment" style rooms...The place felt like Marriott purchased an old time share facility and brought in their branded beds, shampoos, installed a sports court, etc. We got to our first floor "apartment" / room and the first thing we noticed was a strong musty smell. Luckily the heating unit (new / efficient / quiet with a wall thermometer) had a "fan on" setting which we kept on all night to blow fresher air at us. The bathroom looked and felt old. The tile floor had a chunk broken off and the grout, while clean, had a color to it that made it look like it would never again appear new. The light switch to the bathroom also turned on a fan that was easily the loudest I have ever heard. It felt almost like being in an airplane bathroom given the smaller sized seat and loud noise. We had to keep the shades closed as our view out was straight into another room. There was a wood burning fireplace in the room - looked like it would have worked, but there was no wood anywhere (first fall night of frost, so cold enough for a fire, but still early season so if they do supply wood in winter, it might have been too early) - a wood fireplace in a Residence Inn is not something I've seen before (although I think I've seen some simple gas on / off fireplaces). The bed was standard Marriott - very comfortable but the extra pillows that are part of our Marriott rewards profile weren't there. We tried to use the internet, but as others have stated, the wifi was about the worst I've seen in recent years. My iPad wouldn't hold a connection and the laptop barely did, and it was super slow (<1 mbps with >300 ms ping times at around midnight).

The next morning, we put on our coats to walk 2 buildings over for breakfast (not what I want to do at a nice hotel and couldn't imagine doing this in bad weather)....Breakfast wasn't very crowded, but the staff seamed unable to keep pace. I waited on line for the single waffle maker, but gave up when the woman ahead of me was cooking for her family. I went to the large (ie should be well stocked) fridge to grab a low-fat milk, but the only thing in there was 1 box of non-fat. I grabbed eggs and pancakes. The pancakes had just been put out so I figured they'd be a good alternative to the waffles. The eggs were good. The pancakes were cold and crusty on the edges - I guess they didn't heat them enough in the back before bringing them out...After eating the eggs, I went back for a waffle...The batter came out as a cloudy liquid (I assume it wasn't mixed properly and was near the empty end of the mix) - I poured it into the waffle maker before realizing how runny it was. It immediately started sizzling in the waffle maker. An employee took the mix to the back to refill and told me I would have to clean the waffle maker. Luckily another employee walked over and told me they would clean it because I certainly wasn't planning on cleaning it, but didn't want to leave the stuff burning in there!...To her credit, the employee refilling the mix came to my table when it was replaced and asked me if I wanted her to make me a waffle (at that point, no - I just wanted to leave). The staff was very friendly, if not very efficient. We grabbed coffee on the way back to the room and checked again for milk - during the 20-25 minutes we dined, someone finished off the last skim milk, but no new milks were put in the fridge.

We weren't there in the evening so I can't speak to the food that others say they put out. Overall, it was an extremely disappointing stay and I did not feel like I was at a Residence Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rick S
John J, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Windsor, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Good Morning Rick_S_NJ. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced!, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss these issues further with you. We feel we are very fortunate to have a facility such as ours as it provides a quiet park-like setting away from the hustle and bustle of the corporate structure that surrounds us but I am very concerned over the issues you experienced. I would love the opportunity to make it right!
Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Beautiful location! The room I had was disappointing. Evidently the people before me smoked in the room, since it was very smelly. Although they said there was wireless in the room, it was so poor that I could not even connect. After calling down to the front desk for help with that and them providing two different ‘800’ number (both disconnected), I gave up and used the hotspot on my phone. In fairness, they did offer a different room after the two incorrect numbers, but at that point, I was not interested in repacking and moving. The front desk people were very pleasant and engaging at the manager’s reception. The experience will not cause me to not use Marriott, but it was disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

This is the second time that I have stayed at this property in the last few months and I will certainly stay there again. It is very easy to get to from I-91 and only about ten minutes from downtown Hartford and I-84. It was perfect for me, my wife, two kids and our dog. The rooms are clean and well laid out (we got a two room suite both times), the staff is very friendly and the hot (real) breakfast is great. The rooms on the non highway side are a lot quieter, do ask for one if they are available.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
HYATT house Hartford North/Windsor
Courtyard Hartford Windsor
Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport
Hartford/Windsor Marriott Airport
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Windsor? Share your experiences!