“No-frills but high touch museum!”

New England Air Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The New England Air Museum houses over 80 aircraft in three large hangars and outdoor display area, as well as an extensive collection of engines, instruments, aircraft parts, uniforms and personal memorabilia. Plan a visit today to check out exciting aircraft, displays, exhibits and programs that are perfect for all ages!
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Visited this air museum just minutes off the highway near Bradley Airport outside of Hartford. My young adult son and I wandered around on a weekday afternoon. There were few visitors so we took our time looking at all of the exhibitions.This museum has three wings with aircraft, as well as a few more aircraft on the fields outside of the museum. One docent approached us early in our visit and offered my son the opportunity to sit in two cockpits. (The museum does offer open cockpit days with perhaps more planes being open, but these two were just fine for us, and on a day without crowds!) As he sat in the planes, the docent gave us more details about the history of the plane, the mechanics, the innovations of that model compared to others in the collection and the role it played in whatever war it was involved in. My son is an avid aviation fan and was able to engage in meaningful dialogue with the docent. Standing in the giant bomb bay of the B-29 Super Fortress and hearing the docent explain the role it played in the Pacific theater in WWII was engaging. The exhibits are pretty modest in design (compared to more modern museums) but there is nice collection of war memorabilia from local Connecticut families to keep me interested (I'm less of a techy and more interested in the human interest side of history) while my son looked at the mechanical engineering displays. There is a small gift shop with collectibles, toys and some books and models. Vending machines offer snacks and sodas. There is little air conditioning so it may get hot in the summer, but not unbearable. We did not take advantage of the Flight Simulator spot (for a small extra fee) but noticed staff there waiting to assist if we wanted to give it a try. There is also a small area for games/imagination play for littler kids. We were pleasantly surprised to see this large collection of aircraft right in our backyard. We've visited Air & Space in DC and at Dulles Airport many times, but now we have a more local place to enjoy this part of history. Well worth the $12 fee for adults.

1  Thank PDK5
Gina Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at New England Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your great review!! Please visit again soon!!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I paid a visit to the New England Air Museum and I was impressed by the exhibits. There are some rare aircraft there, some of which there are very few examples left. Well worth a visit, but allow yourself a bit of time to get around.

1  Thank William W

Glad you ejoyed your visit!! Visit again soon!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We got the family membership on our first visit to the museum last year and haven't been disappointed. My preschool aged son is an aspiring pilot (seriously, he's been saying it for 2 years now); my daughter is now old enough to really enjoy the museum and walk around; being an aviation lover myself I've enjoyed every visit to the museum. We've been to a few open cockpit days, the Space expo (loved listening to the astronaut speak and seeing his pictures from the space station!), a few of the special summer activities for kids, etc. We've been to the aviation museum in Hawaii, and I personally believe the NE Air Museum has a more varied collection and many more activities for the whole family. I still haven't had a chance to try the Flight Sim Spot, but I plan on doing it soon! Also, we've enjoyed the reciprocal membership with the Connecticut Trolley Museum and the Lutz Museum for the summer. We have not gotten bored with the air museum at all and we are also considering holding a birthday party there. A fantastic place!

1  Thank AleeM314

Thank you for your kind words, we cherish all of our visitors especially our members!!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

After spending a few hours and enjoying ourselves, my grandchildren spied the airplane pedal cars and wanted to ride them. Two were able to, our oldest was too tall and asked if she could help push her brothers. We felt it was okay since we were the only ones in the area. As we were leaving, the oldest asked if she could just try it and I said sure. A "gentleman" addressed her to get out of the area and didn't she see the sign in a very condescending manner. I told him I gave her permission to do so, and what was the harm as she repectfully responded to his demand. He wouldn't let it go...continued to pursue the matter even after I informed him we were done and leaving. He then decided he was going to repeat the situation to another red shirt in front of my grandchild who was already embarrassed by being reprimanded by this insensitive person. That was uncalled for as far as I was concerned and told him in no uncertain terms. After being told I was obnoxious, we left. We will not return to this museum.

Gina Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at New England Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

So sorry to her about your visit. This matter has been addressed appropriately. This isn’t the behavior we tolerate and are very surprised by this. As you can see from all of the other feedback this is not the norm for our Museum. Our staff and volunteers work very hard to make the Museum experience a great one for visitors and this saddens us to hear. Hopefully you will reconsider your next visit.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice place. Lots of cool planes. Good for avation hobbists or younger kids. My boys had fun, my daughter was bored. Didn't have to pay to get in because of open house day in CT. I believe normal admission is $12 for adults. A couple dollars overpriced in my opinion, but if you like various old aircraft and flight history, then it would be worth it. May return for another visit next year.

Gina Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at New England Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We have some great hands-on educational programs this summer that will be sure to entertain the kids, might be worth another trip. Thank you!

Been to New England Air Museum? Share your experiences!