“Very nice and very convenient”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
Madison, Connecticut
“Very nice and very convenient”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We have staying at the Homewood Suites in Windsor Locks Connecticut many times. We do it since we often depart early on our vacations and it is nice not to have to do an hour drive early in the AM. The location is awesome...just minutes from the airport. The suites are wonderfu, clean and spaciousl with a number having fire places. The staff is always welcoming and friendly. This is a great place to relax before your flight the next day.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights during Holiday, so housekeeping was not available. No big deal, just a surprise. Staff pleasant. Room comfortable. It's an older hotel, well kept. Food decent. One hitch was the heat was out for the lobby, so breakfast was brrrrrrrrrrr! COLD! Sat by the fireplace... Ahhhhh! Warmth! Overall, a nice place to stay and a GREAT location by the Hartford / Bradley Airport.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Huntingburg, Indiana
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was only here for about 10 hours, and found the staff, rooms, and breakfast to be what I expected (above average), but one surprise was that after checking in, I had to jump in my car, drive around the parking lot, and then go into a separate building to get to my suite. This isn't a huge deal, but it was cold and late when I got there, so it was just a bit of a pain.

Again, the place is great overall and I would probably stay here again if I was in the area. Very close to the airport, decent selection of food in the immediate area. Not too bad.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the lobby/restaurant in the winter so you don't have to walk/drive too far i...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BrianDeKemper
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed on property for 2 weeks for work. Check in was decent and fast however they didnt care that you are a member of the Hilton rewards program since the business was paying for the bill. This hasnt been the case for any other hotel I have stayed at and generally has been a perk for the kind of work we do. Airlines give you miles no matter who pays the bill, so should hotels.

I stayed towards the front of the property in an upstairs unit. Kitchen consists of a countertop 5' long and is mostly taken up by a sink and 2 burner electric cooktop. There is also a microwave, toaster oven and a small coffee maker. The provisons for the coffee maker were very stale (hard as a rock) although coffee is provided in the mornings in the lobby. There is a breakfast which is better some days than others and Monday thru Thursday there is food provided form 5-7. That was kind of ok, doable. They have lite beer on tap also included.

There is a pool, gas grill and 1/4 size basketball court in the center of the complex.

I havent seen any insects however others in our group seem to have issues with bees and ants.

Internet is slow but doable for general usage.

Theres plenty of stuff within walking distance for a quick bite like the Ruby Tuesday, a sushi place which was pretty good and a few liquor stores (package stores).

Overall its a decent place but I would be much happier if I could get reward points for staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is a first generation Homewood Suites. I heard one of the managers say it was one of the first 5 Homewood Suites ever build. That means that the rooms may be a little smaller than newer generation Homewoods, but the big difference is that there are separate building and the connection to the main lobby building is outside via sidewalks. Overall, the property is in reasonably good shape. However, the area is near Hartford's Bradley Airport and the grounds are confined and have an industrial feel. The typical ammenities of a Homewood Suites are there-- kitchen, separate bedroom area, two TVs, sofa, lounge chair, dining table, etc.

We use Windsor Locks as a midway stopping point on our 12 hours drives to upper New England for the past 10 years. It is a very safe area with all the conveniences of the suburbs-- plenty of shopping, restaurants and basically just off I-91, the main north-south road to northern Vermount and New Hampshire as well as Western Maine. Windsor Locks itself is a blue collar area but is very safe for a traveler.

This year, the Homewood Suites won hands down for the best value of the hotels along the Bradley Airport hotel row. The pricing ran under $100 and you can't beat that price for the size and accommodations offered. We stayed there going to our vacation and coming back so we experienced two different rooms. The stay going was perfect. Nice room although a tad on the small side for a Homewood with fairly new furnishings and in good shape. The room coming back, however, had furniture that showed a lot of signs of wear and was rather noising at night-- people above us must have checked in at 1AM and made noise for close to 45 minutes. The desk manager made an adjustment for the inconvenience which was very satisfactory. The hotel also offers a typical Homewood Suites breakfast which I have always found to be head-and-shoulders abover most other chain hotels we've stayed at; this was no exception. For a one-night stay, this was a great value Ask for a room with a separate outside entrance-- some of the buildings in the complex offer those rooms and they tend to be larger. We stayed in the two building at the back of the property where the room entrances were all from an indoor hallway (three story building versus two story for the rooms with outside entrances). The grounds are not terrific but they do have a nice outdoor pool in a courtyard between buildings.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The place in general is pretty worn and in need of a renovation. The general property and main building look inviting and appealing but they fail in the rooms. The rooms are just outdated. The mattresses are comfortable but the place overall is tired. Tried to work with management and switch rooms. One room had roaches and the other that was offered had ants.

I think it is 3 or 4 buildings overall. Some buildings have access via an outside door and another with interior halls so it feels like a dorm. In the “dorm” building the access doors are only locked after 11pm. There is plenty of free parking. The wi-fi is free but is slow to load any web site; forget about anything with video. The hot breakfast and manager reception are nice. For better or worse, they change morning and afternoon selection everyday but you won’t leave hungry. It is free. The gym is in the main building is small but pretty standard; it has a multipurpose machine, area for one mat, and a few cardio machines with their own tv’s (which have access to all the room channels except HBO). It has a basketball court, pool, and outdoor gas grill which guests can use. People were using these amenities typically late into the night. I didn’t hear noise from it, though.

They are right next door to a pool hall which some people love. They are walking distance to several fast food places to eat, two restaurants, and two small convenience stores. The room has a kitchenette with stove top so you really don’t need to eat out.

I have a T-mobile phone which is not a good idea in Connecticut. I changed my first floor room as there is no signal whatsoever in the room. It also didn’t feel safe as people are walking right by your room and windows weren’t exactly the best. The next room on top floor had signal, poor, but better than none. In the new room, I grab the remote from the nightstand and a thumb-sized roach popped out. I spotted a smaller one behind the dresser as I changed rooms and packed my bags. The next room had an actual ant hill under the kitchen sink. I checked out the next morning since it was late in the day already. I stayed there for about 1.5 weeks and stayed in another area hotel for 1 more week in the area for work.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank UofLtraveler
Homewood_Suites_CT, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thank you for giving us feedback on our hotel. I apologize that we did not provide you with the quality of room and service you deserve. We pride ourselves on making sure all of our guests have a comfortable stay at Homewood Suites. I would like to invite you back the next time you are in the Hartford area so you can experience a more memorable stay. Judith Young, Director of Sales
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed here with two of my daughters recently when we were in CT for a weekend. I wanted a hotel close to the airport because of late arrivals and early flights out. The location here was ideal, but we were also favorably impressed by the front desk staff and the clean, very comfortable room.

We were graciously given an early check-in (11 AM). I was using points to pay for the first night and putting the second night on my credit card - something that has confounded many a desk clerk in my experience. However, the woman at the desk told me she could keep us in the same room for the second night of our stay (not a given at several hotels where I've covered one night of a stay on points), and had the paperwork waiting for me at 7:30 the next morning. When we left for the day and I remembered I'd left the "Do Not Disturb:" sign on the door, I phoned the desk and she told me she'd be sure that housekeeping went in to clean the room - which they did, very well. It was such a pleasure to deal with someone with a professional attitude who clearly cared whether her guests were satisfied.

The room itself was clean, well-maintained, and had very comfortable bedding. The bathroom was quite small, but there was a large counter and sink outside, which made it easy for all of us to get ready at the same time. I ran the dishwasher once, not realizing that clean dishes and silverware are kept there because the drawers and cabinets are full of serving utensils, pots and pans, bowls, etc. I thought that a previous tenant had left the dishwasher full and only later noticed signs that everything in the dishwasher was clean (feeling like an idiot when I finally read them). The dishwasher was noisy, but worked!

The carpeting was tired in the elevator and hallway, but those were the only signs of wear I detected. There are several buildings in the complex, and we were in the one farthest from the lobby - only a 2-minute walk, but I prefer a hotel where everything is under the same roof. The parking lot was well-lit and felt secure, however. I will absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor Locks
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradley Airport
La Quinta Inn Hartford Bradley Airport
Sheraton Hartford Hotel at Bradley Airport
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport
Days Inn Windsor Locks - Bradley International Airport
SpringHill Suites Hartford Airport/Windsor Locks

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks? Share your experiences!