“NOT A FULL SERVICE HOTEL-PLUNGE YOUR OWN TOILET-20% OFF IF YOU WANT A ROOM WITHOUT A TOILET”

Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bear
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is long because I want everyone to get a good feel for the way this hotel treats its guests.
The title above is what they told me after the toilet in my room backed up.
Stayed 2 nights and on night #2 the toilet backed up so I called the front desk.
I was informed that there was no one available to fix the problem but if I wanted to I could come down to the front desk and get the plunger (common occurrence maybe?). So for Saturday night we used the lobby bathroom which was super convenient (cough, cough)
Sunday morning I called down to the front desk again to remind them of the toilet issue and could they please send someone to fix it.
AGAIN, I was told I could, this time by a different front desk person, that there was no one available and I could come down and get the plunger. The guy was rude and told me that other guests would come down and get the plunger.

When I asked for a manager l was told that there wasn't one available or on the property either.
We had stuff to do so we left for a # of hours and when we came back the toliet and all its glory was still unplunged and by this time smelling really nice.
We were checking out anyways, so we packed up and I asked that I be comped for the lack of a toliet but was told the best they could do was 20% off.

If you want a hotel but dont need a toilet......this just might be the place for you.

I would NEVER stay here again and I will avoid ALL Best Westerns at ALL costs in my future travels.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!!! You have been warned! But if you do I recommend a room with a working toilet an...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank oakwood02
Joan P, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. At the Best Western Plus, we strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable accommodations possible, as well as our best services and amenities. We would like to take the time to apologize for inconvenience your experience with us may have caused and ensure you that your feedback has been heard. Our maintenance staff is working hard at taking the necessary steps towards correcting these issues. Best Western Plus being a limited service hotel we do not offer 24 hour maintenance or housekeeping service. Considering safety of front desk staff we were not able to correct your clogged toilet issue you had experience on your second night.
We appreciate your business as well as your feedback, whether positive or negative, guest comments are the best way for us to make room for growth and improve our service. We thank you again for choosing the Best Western Plus and hope that you will stay with us again so that we can better serve you

Reviewed 10 May 2012

What a pleasant surprise! This hotel is recently renovated, clean & comfortable. The location is great just off Rt. 1 and the staff could not have been more friendly and informative. The pool is nice, breakfast good, beds are comfortable - what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Don't miss Trattoria Di Napoli for dinner.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was a great find for us while on a recent road trip. This was the perfect half way stop for us on a our spring vacation trip. The price was great. It met or exceeded all our expectations. 2 Queen beds in the "double room" instead of double beds, (YES! Hotel chains, it makes a difference!!) Breakfast included, with multiple hot options also.
Indoor pool that was opened late so the kids could swim before or after dinner, the whirlpool was spacious and situated so you could easliy watch the kids in the pool. The furniture in the pool room was new & nice, very relaxing! Management will remove kids that are not being safe, or unsupervised. Which will keep well behaved & rule abiding children and adults safe & happy. Thank you management, this is something lots of hotels do not enforce and can really create an unpleasant atmosphere for the rest of us.
Exercise room also but the front desk didn't point that out to me at check in so I didn't know it was there until check out.
Texas roadhouse is technically across the street but actually a half mile walk, due to 4 laned road, fencing and crosswalk placement, a foot bridge would be a great addition (!!) for easy access.
We stayed here on our way to our vacation destination AND our way back, never done that before. I'm still not sure why it was $10 cheaper on a Friday night than a Sunday night but that seemed to be typical of other area hotels as well. But even the higher price was a fair value.
Definately recommend this hotel.
I marked location as poor because it is 3 miles off the interstate and a little tricky to get back on but, if you have a gps, are good with a map or know the area it's not a major big deal, the price was worth the few extra miles.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean, nice pool and hot tub. A great value. Anytime I will be in upper Deleware........I will stay at this Best Western!

Reviewed 26 April 2012

this was the best best western that I have ever stayed at. My husband travel 48 out of 52 weeks a year he rated this a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: the value for this room was amazing. the first floor was so convienent
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2012

clean rooms, friendly people, great location,quiet,good breakfast.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I found this place by running a MapQuest search for hotels near the soccer field where we would be playing the next day. I called the manager who assured me that this was a recently renovated property that would be perfect for our team. She was right. The hotel looked new, the rooms were spotless, and the beds were comfortable. The staff was attentive and friendly and were interested in making our stay an enjoyable one. On top of that, the price was a bargain. I would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bear
Comfort Inn and Suites
Sheraton Wilmington South
#1 of 12 in New Castle
Four Points by Sheraton Newark
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana

Been to Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn? Share your experiences!