Message from TripAdvisor:

“family vacation in Bethany Beach”
Review of Sea Colony Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bethany Beach
Sea Colony Resort
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our family visited Bethany Beach last week and stayed at the Sea Colony Resort. Our condo was well maintained and had a beautiful view of the ocean. The Sea Colony property was well maintained, and we often saw employees picking up trash, watering flowers, and generally keeping the property looking clean and beautiful. We enjoyed the variety of pools, both indoor and out, as well as the tennis courts and fitness center. Our two sons are teenagers and had a great time. It was never a problem getting an elevator, or a chair by the pool. The beach was very clean with plenty of room to spread out. The only drawback was that we rented through a real estate agency, and we had a two step check in process. First at the realator's and then at the Sea Colony office. Also, we were charged a $40.00 per person recreation fee for use of all the amenities. It would have been better in my opinion if they just added it to the rental amount instead oh hitting you with it upon check in. And for someone like my mother in law, who didn't use most of the amenities, it was a waste of money. Overall, we were very happy at the Sea Colony and would stay there again.

Room Tip: we stayed in a corner condo and it was very quiet!
Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank L222

Reviewed 20 July 2013

My family and I vacationed the week of July 13th, 2013, in the Chesapeake 110 condo. We stayed in this same condo several years ago and we have stayed in several other Sea Colony condos throughout the years. We have obviously been happy with the resort and with Resort Quest; I have never voiced a complaint and happily, I have never had reason to voice a complaint.

This year though we arrived at our condo promptly at 3 to find the doors unlocked and a huge pile of broken seashells on the front porch area. It was impossible to lock the door to the patio as the sliding dead bolt was bent. I have 4 grandchildren running around, so the first thing I did on my vacation was to clean the safety hazard on the front porch. At 3:45pm we had a knock on the door and it was a very pleasant young lady asking if we wanted our floor cleaned. I asked had she not already cleaned and she replied that she had cleaned the floor yesterday. I didn't understand that response and asked for clarification, but her English was inadequate to completely understand the situation. Then we had a panel on the master bath just fall off the bathtub. It appears to have been attached with some kind of sticky Velcro. There was also mold in the master bath and I do not believe the kitchen had been cleaned prior to our arrival. The interior of the oven was soiled with baked on food and there were remnants of food still on the stove top.

This condo is not an inexpensive rental, and as a customer, I expect more: the condition in which we found the condo was unacceptable. I don't know what has changed within the past few years for there to be such a drastic difference in the cleanliness and safety of the unit.

The pull out sleeper in the living area should never be used for adults. The mattress was quite thin and you could feel every bar and spring beneath it.

I will say that although our unit was disappointing, the resort itself was not. The staff and other visitors were all friendly and helpful and we did have a wonderful time. We will most likely return for another family vacation, but I may be afraid to rent through Resort Quest again. The resort does provide a quiet, safe, and extremely pleasant atmosphere for your family vacation.

In conclusion, I would rate my room as a 2 and the resort of Sea Colony as a 4.

Room Tip: The first floor condos are great for families with young children. We stayed in 401 Dover 2 years a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Judy15066
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I am not sure how the entire Sea Colony Resort property can be lumped into one tripadvisor entry. Sea Colony West (tennis) is very different from Sea Colony East (Oceanside). Within these properties are great variations.

We opted to stay on the Oceanside in a "gold" level unit on the seventh floor in Farragut. We have been looking at properties to buy and wanted to stay here for a week to try it out.

We had a great time. Farragut is right next to Edgewater. We were very close to the beach and indoor pool. We took advantage of some of the kids activities which were great. One of the highlights of the week was 4th of July fireworks on the beach. A lot of people started reserving spots on the beach well in advance of the fireworks. We arrived about 20 minutes ahead of time and still found a great place to put down out chairs.

The beach at Sea Colony is very clean and not too crowded. More people were there for the holiday. Lots of families. No rowdy beach goers.

We used the pools at Edgewater, Farragut, and the Friedman Fitness Center. All were very good. The life guards are very friendly. All pools were clean. Getting a chair was never a problem.

The tennis courts are very good and getting a court without reserving one was not a problem.

The ice cream in the Oceanside Deli and Donuts is priced lower than the boardwalk. They tend to run out of certain flavors by the end of the evening.

Sea Colony overall is very clean and well run. There are so many activities to keep people of all ages entertained. When renting a unit here, you sometimes get what you pay for. We paid a little more as we were booking with less than four weeks to go but we were totally satisfied.

One complaint I have is about the parking. Finding an unreserved space for a second car was a challenge. Once we found one, we did not want to move this car for fear of not getting a spot again.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the Oceanside, pick a room that is facing the ocean and above the 4th floor fo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank delaware-veg
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I spent the week of June 8-15th there with our two daughters, both under age 6. I grew up going to Sea Colony and we are making it a Summer tradition with our girls now. Bethany Beach itself is so family oriented and Sea Colony is amazing. I think the key is finding the condo that best suits your particular family. We saw dolphins swimming almost every day from our balcony. I noticed a major improvement in customer service this year. Not sure if it's influence from Wyndham taking over, but this is the first year we did not have a complaint about the cleanliness of our condo upon arrival. All of the staff were super polite and eager to please. The grounds were the best I have ever seen them. Two of the outdoor pools are heated now which was nice in early June. The lifeguards are all on the ball and very attentive. We are planning to return for two weeks next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kate53449
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My family and I stayed at the Sea Colony - Georgetown building for a weekend in June. The condo was beautiful and well-maintained, but the management was ridiculously strict. No one was occupying our condo and Tropical Storm Andrea was raging so we asked to enter the condo 45 minutes prior to the official 3 PM check in time. We were told we could not enter prior to 3 PM without a $150 fine. Due to the storm, all of the outside pools were closed on Friday and Saturday. Checkout on Sunday was at 10:00 AM (a little early for the beach). We asked if we could walk back across and try the kiddie pool before we headed home. The response was "Absolutely not". The Sea Colony property managers are really not very friendly or interested in customer service.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank T O
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I read in a previous review how horribly the renters were treated....by security and I had to speak up. That's rare here at Sea Colony. However, the additional cost for badges is a big rip off and the parking limit is a frustration--for owners too. We have owned for 14 years--our three children have grown up spending summers in Bethany. The security staff has been friendly, helpful and considerate. The Rec office staff is patient, friendly and courteous no matter how nasty and rude the renters are! The grounds are beautifully kept year round and the pools and bathrooms are clean and well maintained during the summer season. Sea Colony's half mile of beach is wide and clean and not nearly as crowded as Bethany's. And it's so nice to have the pools close by the beach--and walking distance to homes on the tennis side. The convenience of the tram makes it easy to avoid the craziness of parking at Sea Colony's beach and you are just a short walk or bike ride away from "downtown" Bethany. Really, the renters expected the Sea Colony tram to take them the mile or less into Bethany--in the summer we always bike--it's so much easier and healthier. Our lifeguards are well trained and save dozens every summer--so the kids whose parents don't pay any attention--are still safe. If you take advantage of all the amenities and activities, Sea Colony is well worth the premium cost. So to those renters who didn't like it--please go to Ocean City!

Room Tip: If you need space or have a big family, rent a larger unit on the tennis side. If the unit isn'...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank DMLGypsy
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Big resort. A lot to do, nice beach, good pools. Clean condo, but needs updates. Appliances are 20+ yrs old. not a huge deal since we spent most of the time outdoor. Resort management must find the way to allow guests to hang around on the resort even after the 10:00am checkout time. No resort access/parking is allowed after the check out. Bad move and this needs to be fixed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 4 in Fenwick Island
Meris Gardens Bed & Breakfast
Meris Gardens Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Bethany Beach

Been to Sea Colony Resort? Share your experiences!