“Above & Beyond”
Review of Black Pig Bentham

Black Pig Bentham
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in High Bentham
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I arrived after closing hours but was made to feel more than welcome. The pork baguette was delicious as was the mocha! Will definitely return when I’m next in the area on my motorbike.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Never been to Bentham before and wanted to find somewhere nice for lunch. Called into the Black Pig and had a great experience from start to finish. Ordered from the Sunday lunch menu and had the pork, and the chargrilled aubergine and tomato (without cheese). For the price - around £7 each meal - the portions were very generous and the food was absolutely delicious! After hearing that I was vegan our waitress couldn’t do enough for me and my meal was one of the best vegan lunches I’ve ever had. Great service, would go back in a heartbeat! Definitely recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Cafe by day, bistro Fri/Sat/Sun evenings - we came for dinner. It is very small, so you probably need to book (we did). There were 13 people dining - I guess there would have been room for about 16-18 total. One chef and one waitress, but kept things going smoothly. Friendly welcome and service. The menu was quite varied, but I'm not sure how much provision there would be for vegetarians (this might just be my memory playing up!) Food cooked to order, so not fast, but boy! Worth waiting for.

We started with a venison terrine with fig jam and hazelnut wafer. Sounds like a disparate mix, but it all went together well and is one of the nicest things I've eaten in a long time.

Mains were - initially - Cumberland sausage on horseradish mash and onion gravy, and slow cooked lamb. There was a problem with the lamb which had to be sent back. BUT - anyone can make mistakes - it's how they are handled that is important. This was handled very professionally - an apology, and immediately rectified - offered a replacement or a different choice. I had the pork with apple gravy. Both this and the sausage were perfectly done, accompanying gravies very tasty and well seasoned. Mains all came with a selection of fresh veg - nicely cooked, not 'faffed around with'.

Desserts for us were lemon drizzle polenta cake which was served with raspberries and cream, and was moist and zingy, and apple tart tatin with cream and ice cream - lovely and caramelised and very moreish. I was surprised the apples weren't peeled - initially I was uncertain about this but it grew on me!

Portions were plentiful. Total for 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 desserts and 3 soft drinks was £45.

If I lived locally this would be my 'go to' for an evening out, and can heartily recommend it.

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have a caravan near by and have been meaning to try this place for a while and after hearing great things about it we decided as it was our anniversary we would book it.
From entering the restaurant to leaving we were very well looked after and spoiled for choice with the menu.
I was really impressed with how the young lady greeted the customers, took the orders, served the drinks and meals and even managed to do the washing up! Whilst the chef kept the food orders coming to at least 12 covers without delay. We will definitely be coming back. Well done Regards Jack and Angela From Burley in Wharfedale

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We were staying over the road and popped in for dinner on the evening we arrived. It is quite bijoux, only seats around 16 people and we we didn't have high expectations but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious. The wine was good and the service friendly. Lovely little place