“Mixed”

Ranked #2 of 5 Ings B&B and Inns
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Mixed”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here 1 night when going to a cookery course nearby. I had the single room no.3 It's tiny. It was all right for me as I had minimal luggage but if you have lots of luggage it would be a squeeze. The pub food,and beer where excellent. The service was a disorientating mix of friendly and absolutely awful. The ladies behind the bar in the evening where very friendly. Service over breakfast was terrible. It's relatively late 8:30 to 9:15, I needed to be somewhere by 9:30. I went down for 8:30. The lady serving first told me there would be no breakfast till 9:15, once I had mentioned the sign in the room said 8:30 she proceeded to open all the doors whilst she lit the wood burner leaving me in an icy draught. Finally because I had to leave in a rush I left a couple of things behind in my room. When I went back for them the man behind the bar couldn't have been more surly, grudgingly sending a young member of to look for them. The young guy came down with them a couple of minutes later and couldn't have been friendlier.

Room Tip: The single room is tiny, but fine if you only have overnight luggage
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had visited the Watermill In late last year for food and drinks and were given a very warm welcome with two dogs. As it's one of a few places that accept dogs to stay in your room we decided that we'd have to return and stay the night.

We were given a very warm welcome when we arrived, in fact the lady checking us in thought she recognised us, if she did from one visit she has a fantastic memory.

As we were a couple, a single and a dog (sadly one dog passed away recently) we had booked the only two rooms available, 5 & 6. to our delight these were tucked away at the top of the inn so seemed very private.

The rooms were lovely, one had a double and the other a double and a single in it. Low beams being tucked away in the eaves but certainly very charming - and spotless. Bathrooms small but well laid out and finished to a high standard. Loved strong shower, just what I need in the morning.

Staying in a pub in the Lake district, great beer and food - what more could be wished for? We'll definitely be back

Room Tip: If there's a small group, say two couples, try and get 5 and 6. No noise from the pub at all. So...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hugzee
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Once again a great time at this Excellent hostelry, a lovely easily accessible pub (though parking can be a problem). The rooms are well equipped and always spotlessly clean with en-suite facilities and if you wish to take your dog they are given a very warm welcome. As well as a marvellous selection of beers brewed on site (all with doggie connections, the latest addition Shihtzu faced-7% alcohol ) Collie Wobbles being my favourite, a wide selection of guest beers are always available. The food and service is also of a very high standard with a large menu including snacks as well as substantial meals, and a selection of daily specials. A good nights sleep can be enjoyed in very tranquil surroundings once the bar is closed

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam R
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Booked as a surprise for my husbands birthday and took our 12 year old jack russell. Absolutely fantastic stay...so dog friendly and access to back of pub at night for guests...again...perfect for the dog! Lovely food...great atmosphere...very helpful and accommodating staff...cant praise enough...only downside...a little noisy in the room as near to dual carriageway but wont let that put us off...already planning second visit for our dogs 13th birthday in june! Thumbs up watermill you will do for us! 2 pints of collie wobbles sle please!

• Stayed March 2014
Lancashire
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just returned from a one night stay at The Watermill Inn at Ings. We had room 8 which had a balcony, it was very clean, excellent shower and spotless bathroom. All of the staff were very friendly and the food and beer were all very good. The breakfast was excellent.Very dog friendly as well which we were very happy with even though our dog was not with us on this occasion. Good value for money and we shall return. Thankyou.

1 Thank chingo70
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I have eaten at the Watermill on various occasions on the way to Bowness. This time we decided to stay here.
The food was excellent, ate at lunch time and again I the evening, excellent tasty food. Homemade chips are a must with the lasagne being one of the best I have eaten in a long while. Steak and Ale pie for my husband who thoroughly enjoyed it.
The place was very busy on a Saturday night, but sat by the roaring log fire with wine for myself and beer for my husband was a great night.
Atmosphere is very laid back and friendly, bar and service staff excellent.
Breakfast was very good and set us up for the day.
One down side to our stay room 4 noisy, pick another room.
Would stay again just in another room.

Room Tip: Room 4 noisy, above kitchen can hear noise from below and noise from ventilation grill outside windo...
1 Thank Yvonne W
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Nice building but limited parking.
The beer was good, but the service left a sour taste in our mouths.
The woman behind the bar was downright rude, as a result we only stayed for one.
If you like your ale but manners aren't important to you then this is the place for you!

4 Thank Emma P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ings
The Wild Boar
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,314 reviews

Been to Watermill Inn & Brewing Co? Share your experiences!