“Great hotel...Great value”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claymont
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great hotel...Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

I just stayed at this hotel while shooting a gig in Philly. The location is a very easy 20 minute drive from downtown Philly. But the star of this hotel is the room. I did the finger test on the top of picture frames to see if there is dust. None! The room was super clean, comfy bed and a fantastic value. I would totally stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
dougvansant,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to right a review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Every employee of the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North truly cares about your experience!

A sincere "Thank you!" from all of us at the CP Wilmington North.

Jeffrey Fork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Knoxville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

I attended a small conference here in late October. This is a perfect place for a small business conference due to its proximity to the Philadelphia, PA, Airport. The staff was excellent, the meeting rooms were excellently set-up, and the guest rooms were clean and economical. The hotel will pick you up at either the Philadelphia Airport or the Wilmington Rail Station if you make arrangements in advance; however, I chose to rent a car which was extremely economical over Saturday and Sunday. The only drawback to this hotel is that there is no real restaurant that you can walk to away from the hotel. There is a combination Taco Bell/KFC across a busy street, whic turned out to be a pretty hectic place so I am glad I had a rental car.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
RobertF,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and staff. We are so pleased you enjoyed the conference and your stay with us. Next time you are in town stop by the Front Desk and ask for a list of near by restaurants. We have some really great local restaurants I'm sure you would enjoy!

Thank you for yor business! hope to see you soon.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This property used to be a Hilton hotel, then a Holiday Inn Select, and now it is a Crowne Plaza. Your GPS device may not even have it yet as Crowne Plaza, but the conversion occured in Feb 2012. It may be tricky to drive into it, since if you miss a turn into the parking lot of the adjacent building you will end up on a highway again with no exit for 5 miles or so. Look at the map carefully.
There is a shopping center across the street with a huge wine store - highly recommended!

Very well-designed lobby with very good staff - chat them up to get the best out of them.
My suite had a full kitchen, decent size bathroom and tastefully laid out living room. The A/C noise levels were tolerable. The layout of plugs on the walls betrays numerous rearrangements of the furniture - your working desk will have none of them nearby, so extension cord is a must.
There is a room service - but all the food I got was typical small town American slosh - oversalted, greasy, overcooked - i.e. inedible. I guess I was just unlucky with my choices.
Breakfast was typical - no custom-made omelettes, and staff was, well, unintrusive.
I have attached photos that should illustrate my review.
Will stay again, if in the area.

2 Thank heyValera
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
heyValera,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We always appreciate customer feed back. We're glad you enjoyed interacting with the staff. We're sorry you didn't care for the food in Embers Restaurant. Be assured your feed back will help in improving all areas of the hotel.

We hope to see you again during your next trip to Wilmington!

Jeff
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Nice place, newly remodeled....you can tell the place has some old bones to it. Service was great, very friendly folks. Rooms were pretty clean and mine was big, tough it was an end room.

Really isn't much around the hotel in walking distance in terms of food/drink or entertainment. There is a WaWa convenience down the street for stocking up on snacks and drinks. The hotel is in a good location for commuting to Philly but there are closer options for Newark and the University.

Free internet was nice. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Pennsylvania, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was the first time that I stayed in a Crowne Plaza in many years, and I do not intend to repeat the experience anytime soon. The check-in went well and the room was larger than average and was clean and modern. The hotel seems to have a variety of issues with water. My shower pressure and temperature constantly cycled between hot and cold. Other colleagues had the same problem in other rooms. The bigger problem was that a number of folks had water in their rooms when it rained! Save your umbrella for when you are outside and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear CuriousTravelerRadio,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It's nice to know that you were checked-in efficiently. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations regarding some of our facilities/amenities in the room. Thank you for bringing this unsatisfactory circumstance to our attention. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen Gray
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Claymont hotels

Friendswood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

The hotel has had significant upgrade since the last time I stayed there a few years back, when it was a Holiday Inn Express. The carpet in the room had a few large stain spots and could use a bit deep carpet cleaning. Breakfast bar was great. It is near I95/I495 in a heavily industrial/chemical plants.There is not a single good restaurant near by. One has to dive to Concord area for any decent restaurants or life, in general!
Watch your bill... I had an extra $2 added to the bill from the snack bar, which I did not use.

1 Thank Tom B
Tom B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you like our new look! Please accept our apologies for the stained carpet. We will continue to make every effort to offer our guest a clean and comfortable stay!

We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to the Wilmington area.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is one of the most nasty places I have stayed. For this to be a Crown Plaza is a shock the hotel would be this dirty. The carpets in the room were NASTY all the way from the door to the window. The bedspreads on BOTH beds have stains all on them. Ordered room service after a five hour drive in and the food arrived ICE COLD!! I will never stay at the place again! Could not even check out early as the hotel will charge fee's if you leave early!! They should pay you to stay here!

2 Thank JBear211
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear JBear211,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Katie J
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claymont
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington
Inn at Wilmington
Inn at Wilmington
#6 of 12 in Wilmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
BEST WESTERN Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Wilmington North? Share your experiences!