“Clean comfortable Rooms Excellent Staff”

Crowne Plaza Wilmington North
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claymont
Reviewed 31 August 2014

While visiting relatives in New Castle ,DE I stayed at the Crowne Plaza. These rooms have been up graded since the renovation and change over from the Holiday Inn. The bath room was very clean both in the lobby areas and the rooms. When I first checked in I had a small problem with my air conditioning unit. Maintenance sent Michael up to see what the problem was. He was very professional, courteous and friendly. Not only did he fix my A/C but he went down and got us an extra blanket. I know that getting things like towels or blankets are not part of the maintenance job but he had no problem getting things for us. I will definitely recommend this hotel to stay at either long or short term. The pool area is very clean and relaxing and the restaurant staff was very friendly too with the amazing breakfast they offer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Although this is a conveniently located property and the front desk staff is very friendly, the management and the housekeeping of this hotel is terrible. We had a 12 day stay to be with our mother who was in the hospital. The GM gave a discounted rate of $79 for this extended stay, for which we were grateful. However on 2 occasions after being at the hospital for 12 hour days, the room was not serviced at all and one occasion the room appeared to be stopped in midstream. All we asked for was clean towels and a clean room and although we received an apology note after the first incident, we experienced the other 2 as well. I had to ask for "consideration" and was given 2 free nights and a rude email saying that there was a "discrepancy" in what happened. Unbelievable that the GM would basically accuse a guest of lying in a matter that can hardly be disputed and was seen by the family and a manager who even took pictures of the unkempt room. Not once did David Hirsch contact us or apologize during our stay. Too bad guests have to endure this type of treatment by an employee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North for your recent stay. We apologize for the service you received in Housekeeping and our response. I will address the issues with the departments. We hope you will have another chance to stay with us in the future.
Sincerely
Brian Summers
Crowne Plaza Wilmington North

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The room was nice and large. But everything else about this hotel screams "give it a pass." Especially the service. The sign at the restaurant said: "Please wait to be seated." I'm still waiting to see a staff member.

• Stayed: August 2014
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We always respect the opinions of TripAdvisor reviewers, whether a first time reviewer or a Senior Contributor. We do appreciate you giving us good marks for the rooms. We sincerely apologize for missing you when you arrived at the restaurant. This is not normal, and we otherwise are always ready to welcome and seat our restaurant patrons, and we have a number of other positive reviews about our restaurant experience. We regret this isolated situation, but will always strive to be better.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was one of the best Crowne Plaza hotels I've stayed in. The room was clean, spacious and quiet. The location is fantastic. Right near I-95, 10 minutes north of Wilmington and 30 minutes south of Philadephia. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I didn't give them 5 stars because one elevator was always broken and the breakfast service needs better attention. They ran out of plates and fruit. They need more staff in the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank drivingmylifeaway
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you drivingmylifeaway for staying with us as a Senior Contributor and highlighting the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North as one of the best Crowne Plazas you have stayed in. We particularly appreciate you singling out the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendliness of our front desk staff. We have since completed the modernization of our elevator and it is running well. And we will certainly focus additional energy on making the restaurant experience even better. Thank you again for being a Senior Contributor and happy travels.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had a three day stay, and the front desk are the the best crew and Hotel Manager could ask for.
Rooms are nice and big, bed was very comfortable. They also have a nice Lounge with a afternoon happy hour with Free Beer and appetizers the Hotel Managers was their asking how your stay was going and if they could be of any help. I read the comment from other traveler and did not have any issues and would come back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you SailingJerry for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor and for really calling out the friendliness and helpfulness of our management and staff. We recently introduced a Wednesday Managers Reception with complimentary beer, wine, and appetizers and we're glad you took full advantage of it. We plan on doing this every Wednesday going forward. All the best to you and we hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

While staying at this hotel, a camera, GPS and headphones were taken from my luggage. The luggage was under my control from the time I left home until I returned home. I called the hotel 3 times before I was able to speak to a manager.. Not only did I lose the items noted, the customer service was the worst I’ve ever experienced.

None of the items were recovered. I wouldn't stay there if they were giving room away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bob L

For the benefit of all Trip Advisor travelers, there are Innkeeper's Liability laws in effect in all states. All hotels are required to have a safe available for the storage of valuables free of charge. To protect hotels from fraudulent claims of items missing or stolen, hotels are not liable for any items allegedly left in hotel rooms. That said, if a guest is 100% certain that an item was left in their room, they have every right to file a police report, and in turn allow the police to investigate the matter for them. It is otherwise unfair to accuse the staff of theft, especially in light of the fact that most hotels, including our own, reunite guests with their belongings or valuables each week, in some cases items of great value. Let the law enforcement professionals do the investigation and they will determine if there is merit or not to a claim of theft. With regard to this specific situation, the hotel cannot provide compensation to this guest, even when the guest states they will publish a TripAdvisor review if we do not do so. We encourage this guest to file a police report, as at this point, we only have the guest's assertion to work off of.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I travel quite a bit, and have stayed with many hotel chains. The Crowne Plaza group is one of our favorites. We noticed on TA that some patrons were not happy with this hotel, so when the opportunity arose for us to find a place to stay in the Wilmington area, we were hesitant to book a room here. I can happily report that we found the property exemplary. The room was huge, the beds were comfortable, and the staff welcomed us graciously with a smile, even though we checked in later than usual (10:30 pm). The hotel was very clean and quiet, as well. Actually, this was most definitely the BEST Crowne Plaza we've had the pleasure of frequenting. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you Pyewacket60 for being a regular contributor to TripAdvisor and for your great comments about the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North and its staff. We are so very glad you made an informed decision to stay with us and that our hotel and staff exceeded your expectations for friendliness, cleanliness, and overall quality. The size of our rooms indeed are quite large compared to many hotels and we believe they are a great value. Hoping to see you on your travels through the Wilmington area again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Claymont
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
6 mi away
Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Wilmington North? Share your experiences!