“Mixed review”

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Dewey Beach
Pennsylvania
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Stayed at the Sea-Esta 1 for a few days, and in many respects it was a disappointment. I have stayed at a couple of the other Sea-Estas and found them (esp. #4) to be rather better.

Here are my complaints:

Cleanliness okay, barely (some doggie hair); Outdated fixtures and furniture; towels felt like sandpaper; Chest of drawers smelled like mildew; Water pressure was really poor unless you hit it just right.

Also the housekeepers came back every little while to ask when they could clean the room. They were sort of loud and a bit demanding about this, never asking me if I wanted my room made up. But that's a small issue.

When I stayed there, there were several rooms of student idiots getting drunk, being stupid and making a lot of noise. I realize this isn't the fault of the hotel, but be forewarned about this sort of thing.

The price was rather high ($179+) for a place that is second-rate in several respects. You pay for proximity to the beach, and it is very, very close to the shoreline which in some respects, but not all, is a saving grace i guess.

• Liked — locality
  • Disliked — really, really noisy
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank GoldenPooch

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 June 2007

We stayed at this hotel because it accepted dogs. While it is close to the beach, the room was dirty and you could hear noises from other rooms especially the bathroom from the floor above us.

While it is difficult to find hotels that accept dogs in Dewey/Rehoboth, I would still not stay here again. This year we are renting a condo for a week and it is basically the same price as staying at this hotel would be.

The only way I would consider staying at this hotel would be if I wanted to go to the beach for a weekend at the last minute and everything else was booked. If you don't have dogs, don't even consider it.

• Liked — Location near beach
  • Disliked — Room conditions and noises from other rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mateo1380

Travellers are raving about these Dewey Beach hotels

Reviewed 23 August 2006

My two friends and I wanted to take our kids to the beach the week before school started. We'd gone for a day trip last year. Long story but we ended up with two rooms, two moms and seven kids (one mom had to leave last night).

I was the one to book the room. It was $94.00 for each room, quite a good price for a Delaware beach hotel.

While going online to get directions, I came across these negative reviews, which made me a little apprehensive about the place.

When we got there, the clerk accepted the AAA discount with no questions. The rooms were small, true, but clean and perfectly acceptable for a bunch of kids (9 year old girls and their 12 year old brothers). The other mom and I knew this wasn't about a posh experience for us.

We arrived about 1 p.m. We were allowed in our rooms even though the check in time was 3 p.m.

We checked out before 11 a.m. One of the girls needed a real toilet (#2) after we checked out but before 11 a.m. The clerk let us have the key for our room. He let us park in their lot until 1 p.m. We retrieved our vans a bit after that with no problem.

One of the boys had the same toilet situation, and one of the staff let him into a room.

I'm sorry about the people with the filthy room. We didn't have that experience.

I would stay there again in the same situation, but not for a romantic getaway and certainly not for a week. It was reasonable and convenient. I felt the staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2006
3 Thank mauross
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 July 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Sea Esta I for 4th of July weekend. While it is not a fancy motel, it was perfectly adequate for our needs. It is located on route 1 about 2 blocks from the beach and within easy walking distance to restaurants and nightlife. Our room was on the 3rd floor (of 3) in the front corner of the hotel. We heard very little noise all weekend. We found the room to be clean, but plain.

We will definitively stay there again in the future if the price is right!

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank dctravel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2004

I would not recommend the Sea Esta I motel to anybody. We were taken by their internet ad which shows a room with picture windows showing an idyllic view of the grounds. We were sorely disappointed. The rooms were tiny with 2 beds and a table and chairs shoved between a bed and the (non-picture) window. We were told beforehand that there was a coffee pot which was non-existent. There was also a good deal of mold on the shower curtain. Add to this the after hours partiers and the accompanying noise. All of this may have been fine had the room not been priced at $150.00 per night. The only selling points were the easy access to the beach and being pet friendly (our dog loved the room. It was a perfect size for her.)
To make matters worse, we had to haggle with the clerk when we arrived to get the AAA discount. They will not ask for AAA up front, so make sure you mention it when reserving the room. We were also charged a third of the room costs when we reserved the room two months prior, so beware.
For a few extra bucks, there are motels right on the beach which, had we known better, would have been a huge improvement over the Sea Esta I.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#21 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
The Atlantic Oceanside Dewey Beach Resort

Been to Sea Esta Motels I? Share your experiences!