“Dated, but well located, clean and a great value!”

Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Dewey Beach
Arlington, Virginia
“Dated, but well located, clean and a great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here on May 9th for one night. I have stayed here several times over the last 15 years and other than the facade of the building, this place has pretty much stayed the same. The rooms are a bit dated and have a very 1980's build quality, but they are very clean and the Murphy bed is surprisingly comfortable. Although I didn't use it, the pool looked very clean and inviting. Parking is on-site and convenient. You can't beat the location, right on the beach and the nightly rate is very reasonable. Friendly staff. No complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
John G, General Manager at Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
I would like to take the time to thank you for your input and continued patronage. I am glad to hear that your most recent stay with us was a pleasant one, and hope to see you again in the coming years. I greatly appreciate your compliments regarding cleanliness of our units and how friendly staff is, we do truly work hard to make our guest stays as pleasant as possible. Regarding the interior of our units being dated, there has been discussions of unit remodeling in the coming years to give our units a more updated look and feel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hazle Township, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have been coming here for the past 15 years. We try to get down at least twice in the Spring and summer and always spend Thanksgiving here. The rooms are great, best ones are 106,107, and 108. They have recently updated the windows and are in the process of updating the interior. Great pool, great hot tub, and it's right on the beach. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to help. If you want a real deal, check out the managers specials, they cannot be beat.
This will continue to be our favorite Vacation spot on the Delaware Beaches.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the place and the staff a definite 15
Always Happy.

Room Tip: Best choice is 106,107 and for larger room 108
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas M
John G, Manager at Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I would like to start off by thanking you for your feedback, especially a favorable one like you have provided. It is my mission to see to it that you continue to stay with us for at least another 15 years and have even more positive stays with us. I look forward to having you as valued our guests for many more years to come and I can't wait to see you on your next trip to Dewey Beach.
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Always clean. In the past I stayed here often. It has always been clean . The location is fantastic. On the beach and 3 blocks from the bay. I have always loved the concept. There is a small kitchen area supplied with utensils and pots and pans. There are books, free movies and fresh popcorn to eat while watching. The room is an efficiency like apartment with a small eating area that can be closed off and faces the ocean (or gives a particle view). There is a pool, jacuzzi and sauna with nice clean towels provided. There is a washer and dryer on the ground level.

On this visit I had some disappointments. The remotes had no instructions and in fact did not work well. On the 3rd floor the wifi did not work unless I went outside my room. One of the pots was pretty knurly. The pillows are flat and the sheets are getting close to the end of their life expectancy . The personnel was hit or miss. The midnight guy couldn't have been nicer! He was able to tell me the 3rd floor wifi secrets. He was also able to help me make sense of the remotes, though it didn't solve all the problems. The day staffs must have had a long summer. There were a couple of exceptions but....

Also, there is beach replenishment going on. If someone could have been kind enough to let me know that at 6:30 AM there is a large noise and if you close off the breakfast room you won't hear it I REALLY would have appreciated the heads up.

Check out is at 11AM but they let you continue to use the area and there is a clean rest room and shower available.

So, go prepared, bring your own pillow and enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: Until the necessary beach replenishment is over don't be concerned if u don't have a beach v...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mgitsme
John G, Manager at Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I would like to start off by thanking you for your feedback. Feedback from the guests is the only way to truly get a sense of what is and isn't working at a property and management level. I take guest concerns very seriously and sincerely apologize for some of the deficiencies you experienced during your recent stay with us. Items such as the pillows, sheets (fitted & flats) will be addressed as soon as possible of course. I am also aware that at this point in the year a portion of the kitchen amenities need to be replaced completely, though that is not an excuse by any means.
I've been at the Surf Club for over 10 years and there have always been issues when the beach replenishment is scheduled. For one as a property we are never given a definitive start and end date, just a very rough timeframe for the work to be completed. In that timeframe the replenishment has taken place during various times of the year depending upon the necessity to do so. I would say in those 10 years there have been roughly 3 or 4 beach replenishments. That being said, once the work had begun we probably should have notified any future arrivals so they would be aware of the work and plan their trip accordingly. For that I do sincerely apologize knowing that the replenishment work is not the most pleasant experience for all parties involved.
I really hope the amount of issues you experienced with us during your recent stay does not discourage you from staying with us in the future. I look forward to an opportunity for us to make it up to you in the future.
silver spring,md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We have been coming to the beach for many years and finally found this wonderful place. The past few years we stayed at the BEst Western, which was very noisy and no place to make sandwiches. Also far from the beach. We found this place and just loved it. Staff was very nice and friendly, helpful. THey give you beach towels each day and discounts on umbrellas and chairs. If you stay certain days they give them to you for free. It is right on the beach. Units very nice with a small kitchen and lovely sunroom. Murphy bed was very comftable too. Housekeeping a little on the weak side, but they do try. We plan on returning next year. One small problem is limited parking, but I'm sure they are working on it. They have coffee and tea every morning and popcorm all day.

Room Tip: take an ocean front room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Seymour E
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have been staying at the Surf Club since it was actually the Royal Surf Motel 25(?) years ago? You can't beat the size of the rooms at the Surf Club. While the rooms may lack balconies you get the xtra space inside the rooms! Personally I would recommend the large ocean view room over the ocean front or the smaller rooms. The staff is always nice and helpful. Now that Jay is the GM it should even improve!!! The amenities that are included at the Surf Club far exceed any other motel in the Dewey Beach area.

The Murphy Beds are very comfortable and the sofa bed and the bench in the solarium are great sleeping locations too!

While I have never cooked at the Surf Club, I have ordered plenty of take out and with the microwave and refridgerator handy you can keep food cool or reheat when you want.

I love the fact that the pool and shower area are blocked off from random beachgoers. That improvement is a big welcome!!!

Room Tip: I prefer the Large Ocean View. You get much more space and the rates aren't as high as the ocea...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MeetingPlanner67
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We usually get to the surf club a few times a year. We go because we love Dewey Beach, the location is perfect and the view is great! The rooms are clean but in need of a little updating. We usually stay in one of ocean front rooms, but they were renovating (the front facade i think) when we were there a few monthes ago. Not a problem though because the side rooms have great views also. The higher the floor, the better. There's a Murphy bed, which is what we sleep in. I was surprised how very comfortable it is. There's also a sizable pull out sofa bed which we haven't slept in before. The room is equipped with a cook top, utensils and small refrigerator, all of which are nice to have access to in case we feel like chilling in the room and not running out for a meal. In summer and winter, we love to sip coctails in the "sunroom", and enjoy the sights and sounds. My only real complaint about the room is there isnt a balcony but at least the windows open. One of the reviews complained about the staff. They are always most welcoming and are also part of the reason we are so fond of the place. There is no elevator, but there is a dumb waiter for your luggage. I gave the pool a rating of 4 but honestly we've never spend time there because we'd rather be on the beach. There is also a hot tub which we used once a couple years ago. We will use it again, just haven't yet. There aren't many oceanfront hotels in Dewey, and I think this place is pretty well priced. We will continue to go to the Surf Club until the day we buy a place (if ever)!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a view but on the side, there is the street so the higher the floor you...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Delanco, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Ok,
This was our first trip to Dewey Beach, Delaware for a relaxing vacation. Unfortunately, relaxing was one thing this vacation was not. Right now the Surf Club is under going some MAJOR renovations (which will probably look great when it is done) but right now it is noisy and the workers knock on the door or try to walk into the rooms?

Staff was very nice, friendly, helpful. Room had a GREAT view of the ocean.
HOWEVER, their are a few things that people need to know before they go.

1. There is NO elevator. They do have a dumb waiter that is used to bring the luggage up to the appropriate floor.

2. Our room, had a pull down bed (from the wall) and a sleeper sofa. No real bed in the room at all.

3. Currently under going some MAJOR renovations, manager said should be done by Memorial Day, place should look nice once they are done.

We just felt that we should have been made aware of the on-going construction when we booked the place, because if we had known, we probably would have gone someplace else and perhaps gone to the Surf Club some other time and enjoyed ourselves more.

Our trip was supposed to last Friday to Friday but we cut it short because of all the noise and the fact that workmen kept either walking into our room, or, knocking on the door all the time?

I do want to stress the fact that the front desk people were VERY nice and understanding when we went down to complain.
Just the wrong place and the wrong time, right now.

Very disappointed !

Room Tip: They do have coin operated laundry available as well as a hot tub. They also have free wireless int...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wposch
Chckhmmr, General Manager at Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
We do apoligize for the painting contractor trying to enter your room. We did give them a list of rooms that had guests and your room was on that list. Even so, this should not happen. Also I believe they booked with a 3rd party vendor and did not call the hotel directly, as we tell any potential guests that we are under construction, and that we have no elevator. We will contact this guests asap and try to make this right.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dewey Beach
Hyatt Place Dewey Beach
Hyatt Place Dewey Beach
#3 of 13 in Dewey Beach
Gold Leaf Hotel
Gold Leaf Hotel
#5 of 13 in Dewey Beach
Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conferenc...
#16 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Atlantic View Hotel
Atlantic View Hotel
#2 of 13 in Dewey Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#14 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Henlopen Hotel
Henlopen Hotel
#18 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel & Beach House? Share your experiences!