“Good food spectacular view!”
Review of Ivy - CLOSED

Ivy
Cuisines: American
Description: This restaurant used to be called Venus on the Half Shell (or just Venus)
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I always enjoy an evening at Venus on our visits to Dewey beach. However when we went in August, Venus had become The Ivy. It is now a tappas (small plates) venue. The items on the menu were creative and delicious. To list a few favorites, the Blue Cheese Truffel fries ($3) are out of this world! I've been there 3 times now and even people who do not like blue cheese rave about these. The Kobe Beef slider ($3) was tasty and substantial as was the Tuna Guacasabi Soft Taco-Avocado ($4.50). The most bang for your buck is the succulent Snow Crab Coctail Claw for $1.50 while the least at $4.50 is the misnamed Thai Crusted "Giant" Sea Scallop (about the diameter of a nickel and 1/2 inch thick. Giant really?). Dessert was a chocolate Fondue (yummy) which you could order with homemade marshmallow, pound cake or strawberries for $2. I ordered a glass or 2 of the house Pinot Grigio, i don't remember which one, but it was a good sized pour was well priced at $7. I hope restaurant will find success in Dewey though it seems a litttle out of place there. I'm happier with The Ivy than my husband is. I don't frequent tappas restaurants enough to have a handle on the pricing; maybe the portions could be a little bigger or the prices a little lower though its not outrageous and the food is very good. Considering i can sit outside, get my toes in the sand and enjoy a spetacular view I will continue to dine there!

1  Thank nsj1959

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We went there with a party of 10 in August. The portions are pathectically small. To serve a tapas dish that includes one shrimp or one mushroom is not acceptable. We ordered the "grand poobah" to start and actually laughed at what arrived. The food tasted great but most items are just one bite. The service on a Sunday evening when the place was basically empty was very slow.

It is in a nice location, right on the beach and is an attractive place. The quantity of the food and slow service just makes it hard to give this a rating any higher than 2 stars

1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 2 August 2012

If you don't like noise, stay away after 9:00 Wed-Sun. It turns into a dance club! This is Tapas-reasonably pried, most at $4.50. Or, you can order the "Grand Poobah" 16 items for $50.00 which could easily feed a couple, or possibly three women. The food is inventive without being exotic-the view of Rehoboth Bay is breathtaking (it even has tables on the beach) and the service was attentive without being suffocating. Perfect spot for a dinner early in the week-Tuesday we walked right in. Dining room decor is high end South Beach style. Have nothing bad to say about Ivy-the four of us had a great time and we'll be back in a week!

1  Thank Jeff E
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Dewey Beach is a fun little honky-tonk town with lots for families and lots for 20-somethings in the food and fun department, but now there's something for the adult in you. Ivy is new and fresh and has a delightful split personality: high-end food and beverage until dark, DJ night club after hours. It is located on a gorgeous bit of Delaware Bay with a sandy beach patio for outdoor dining and fantastic sunset views. The decor is stunning in its simplicity: white-washed bookshelves (and books!) set high on the walls with changing ambient lighting...all very clean and modern without being self-conscious or glaring.

We went for a pre-twilight dinner and were excited when we got a look at the menu. Conceptually it falls into the tapas or tastings category serving single or smallish bites for smallish prices. The menu is varied and definitely has something for all tastes from a variety of creative meat and seafood options, to fresh and lovely vegetarian fare. My personal faves were the melt-in-your mouth pork shank, the baby field greens in rice paper, and the seared tuna on a crispy wonton with seaweed salad. Presentation was beautiful with each bit on its own little plate and all served together on a wooden tray.

There is also an interesting drink menu with some specialties, my fave of these being the blueberry sparkler: Prosecco, blueberry puree and fresh berries, and a brown sugar cube...OMG, I drank three of these and didn't want to stop.

Service was awesome, we had a very professional server named Brian who knew his menu, knew his wine pairings, and was friendly without hovering. Overall it was an excellent evening and I was really impressed with Ivy.

3  Thank dranny-one